Fordmods Logo

Milky water in overflow 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Milky water in overflow
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, dads au has lately been losing from the overflow hose, and he seems to think theres a lot of pressure in the cooling system. He also mentioned that there seems to be a white creamy sort of substance in the overflow bottle when he takes off the lid? He checked the oil dipstick and it was normal, so just wondering what could be the problem?

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Milky water in overflow
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Head gasket, leaking into the cooling system.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:27 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ahhh i was hoping that wouldnt be the case, wasnt sure coz i knew in the oil a creamy substance = water leaking into engine and = headgasket, but wasnt sure whether oil would leak into the cooling system. thats bad news thanks mate, any other possibilities?

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Au series 3, 12/92 nc fairlane

SA, Australia

mixing different types of coolant will give a brownish creamy substance as it crystalises but that would not account for pressure so I would have to agree head gasket is your most likely culprit

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Au fairmont seires I

QLD, Australia

i had the same in my au fmont due to the transmission, got a tans cooler fitted to by pas it du to gtting rust and coper etc in my auto trans and that chnged the coolant to a diff colour

People hate the au series but i wouldnt have it any other way!!!

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Head gasket or trans cooler leaking into radiator.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:58 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

update now guys, i had a look at the car, and i culdnt see any creamy substance in the overflow but it was a reddy browny colour like rust, and also the overflow cap is a bit worn out so i told him to replace that. Is a stuffed overflow bottle cap responsible for increased pressure at all?

Also hes losing a bit of water from the passenger side, but its almost inside the cabin it looks like, possibly directly under the dash on the passenger side actually. ive heard stuff about heater cores leaking could this be the case? and if so what is the easiest fix?

Thanks again guys

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Did he pop the bonnet and see where the coolant is coming from.
Under the passenger side is not helpful.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Heater core would leak onto the passengers foot...

If you have oil in the coolant would be more likely the transmission, because of the high pressures they work under the seem to stick oil in the water... They do this when you get a leak between cores in the radiator, if you think this has happened best service the transmission and replace the radiator before and water being sucked back as it heats/cools destroys it...

Only way to really test is to pressurise the cooling system and leave it overnight, come out the next day and see if it has dropped and by how much...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

thanks for the replies guys and i havent had a good look at where its leaking from but when i looked i had the best view from just behind the front passenger tyre. so thats where it is leaking from it looks like, if im looking from the side of the car in line with the front passenger tyre, its leaking towards the rear end of the car which is weird. possibly be leaking and travelling alone pipes and only dripping that far back?

And whats the procedure to fix the transmission fluid from leaking into the radiator? like is the radiator the thing that is damaged, or is it the transmission?

Thanks for the replies guys

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au ute, fg xr6 sedan

QLD, Australia

Just a quick question is the water leaking from the LHS clear or coolant? As it may just be the a/c drain.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if it is... It'll be the radiator... Gets an internal rupture... But if it is, like you have oil in your water... You'll have water in your transmission... If I were you I'd be getting a pressure tester on it pronto and seeing if it does indeed have an internal rupture or you're just seeing coolant colours (bit hard to tell over the net, fairly vague description)... If it does you'll be paying to have the transmission cleaned and flushed free of water... if you don't you'll just be paying for a new transmission...

Why do you stick your head under the bonnet and tell us where the leak is coming from? All you're doing by telling us it is dripping on the ground is confirming that gravity exists... There is a plethora of water cooling pipes on the intake side of the motor... So you're gonna need to pop that bonnet and start looking around by eye, with a torch and with an inspection mirror around all the hoses and pipes and when you tell us where your leak is we can help you fix it...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:19 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

All good and thanks for the replies, if i lived with my dad then id be under the bonnet right now looking at it and giving you guys proper descriptions, but for now im just giving as good as a description as i can, thanks for the help and ill get bak to yas asap

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Find the leak and take a pic and post it here...

Personally i wouldnt waste time and get radiator replaced and transmission flushed as its very, likly both of these things have not happened in its life............. So get it onto a truck and take it to a workshop....

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]