Fordmods Logo

Miss fire under load 

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Miss fire under load
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Fuel pressure regulator? Mine had similar issues and new one fixed it... You must have nearly replaced the whole damn engine by now lol

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford EF Falcon 96

WA, Australia

Me and Topsy99 have the same problem, I've replaced fuel pressure reg and fuel filter without any change.
Do u reckon it could be a dying fuel pump?

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Me and Topsy99 have the same problem, I've replaced fuel pressure reg and fuel filter without any change.
Do u reckon it could be a dying fuel pump?

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

Since its been going on for ages, I'd say no. My fuel pump showed no signs of dieing. Randomly pulled in the driveway and the ute stalled. Fuel pump died with no warning at all. I cant think of what the hell is it could be...

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

About the only thing left to try is live dyno running!!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hi all, just a quick update with the latest fix to my strange EF idle miss issue.

After replacing the cracked head for a new head and gasket (including all other intake and exhaust gasket), I had noticed the development of a small hole and water dripping out the rear muffler causing a noisy exhaust. This means alot of water had passed through the exhaust during the long standing problem with the blown head gasket and in turn stuffed up my o2 sensor.
No code was thrown for the o2 sensor, especially when running a cold engine as this sensor kicks in when warm...so common sense would dictate that water passing through this sensor would rust it out. After taking out the old one and replacing it for a new one off ebay, the surging problem had DISAPPEARED! Also, I had separated the intake manifold and cleaned out what was a s**t load of oil sitting in the base of the manifold and removing and cleaning the IAT (Intake temp sensor).

The problem with the miss at idle and occasional hiccup (which is always there) is still an outstanding problem. Now occasionaly and randomly the car is very hard to start as it cranks over but doesnt fire properly. Eventually it does start but with great difficulty.

So, making up my own LED tester and bridging the two first terminals on the OBD diagnostic port, I conducted a KOEO (key on engine off) test and the computer threw one code, being 214.
This code is a 'BAD CMP Sensor' , although in my earlier posts I had replaced it for a second hand one but after reading alot of stuff on cam angle sensors I came across these posts.....

"What the crank (or cam) shaft position sensor does is to tell the engine control computer where
in the cycle the engine is at any given time as well as how fast the engine is turning over.
This allows the computer to calculate when to inject fuel and when to fire the spark plugs
(as applicable). They are typically magnetic sensors that lose their sensitivity over time,
and their impending failure can cause rough running, hesitation, stalling or even eventually
failure to start. The classic ultimate sign of this failure is an engine that just stalls out
for no good reason and sets no error codes. The reason no codes are set is because when the
sensor fails it reads 0 RPM so the computer thinks you've shut the engine off and therefore
kills fuel and/or spark to the engine. You can also have a momentary failure (a hiccup) where
the sensor briefly goes out of range and the computer interprets it the same, briefly killing
fuel/spark until the sensor comes back up.
misfires can be an issue caused by the crank or cam position sensor, or the wiring leading to
the sensor.

And yes, if you are in gear when the computer kills the engine or just gets confused by
anomalous readings from the sensor, you can get a lurch. This is the usual issue you find when
you have a fuel injected car that's having random stalls with no warning or hesitation yet no
codes are set. "

In relation to the excerpt above, Im wondering if I have to replace both the crank and cam angle sensors, as im not sure that a code can be thrown for a bad CRANK ANGLE SENSOR as both sensors need to work in perfect operational unicen.
Also, I have noticed that there is alot of grease built up in and around the crank angle sensor wire loom so will also clean this up.

Ive ordered a new Cam Angle Sensor off EBAY (for around $45 plus postage) and will update this post with outcome asap.

Sorry for the short novel here too :roll:

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hey Topsy99, did you ever get down to the bottom of your idle problems with your EF?

My problem is still persisting!! :evil:

Ive made a youtube clip of the problem, was wondering if your EF is acting up the same way as mine is in the vid. Got some good advice so far, but still cant get it to idle smooth. :shock:

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYU8zqyJAM

Cheers

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon

WA, Australia

hi all i had same problem with mine turned out to be loose plug :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4