Fordmods Logo

MODS to I6 Falcons summarised from forums, these right? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: MODS to I6 Falcons summarised from forums, these right?
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XT Faclon

QLD, Australia

Hey guys; im newbie here, but ive learnt a SH%T loads and its awesome. Well done Ford Mods. Dads got about 4 BA XT's Mk1 and 2's at work. Much prefarble i think to cramped Japcrap rice bucket 6's (supra's etc). Enjoyable, except for a few minor issues - remote locking etc.

Soon i'll be buying a 2nd BA, and looked at mods on this site. Is this a good summary you think? is it too over the top or missing something? Thanks.

INTIAL MODS:
Exhaust:
i, Lukey Exhuast 2.5inch cat back
ii, Reback mufflers (maybe split) w/o resonator
iii, Hi-flo cat (no lukey cause they are crap?)

Intake:
i, Dual lower and higher snorkels from XR6 turbo (buy on ebay for $170) NOTE: whats the go cold air intake scoops over radiator on xr8? is it a much better top snorkel?
ii, Hi-flow filter panel NOTE: are cone/pod filters really neccessay?
iii, Mandrel Bent Pipe from Airbox to TB NOTE: is this really neccessary or just pretty?
iv, Polished TB (upgrade?)

ADVANCED MODS:
v, Pacemaker Extractors (long and thin for low end?)
vii, Wade 2nd Hand Cams (change springs, seals?)
viii, Port and Polish (shave?)
ix, Chip (to get grunt from advanced mods)

And thats about it LOL, i duno how much this will set me back, estimate what 1.5 -2K guys? Is this about all you can do to your 6?
Watcha reckon fellas? thnx heaps and will post pics as each part gets done. But i need the $$$ first hahah! :oops:

100% BEEF NO ADDED RICE
---------------------------------
Twin Snorkel CAI, K+N Filter, Stocko-the-rest (pending more income!)

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Oh and guys by no way to i mean to take away from Voxaces summary either. That was mad as summary and has helped me where i knew a great DI%K ALL.
I just went through alot of forums and took some arguments people made and tried to make a summary which is like:

"Hey so you wanna mod your ford, just do this. start with one and finish with step 9 and it'll be sweet ---> now you can go but a fancy bodykit" :lol:

100% BEEF NO ADDED RICE

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ummmm the point of this since the since theres already a million of these threads? not to mention a sticky covering it all?

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
ummmm the point of this since the since theres already a million of these threads? not to mention a sticky covering it all?

look, theres nothin wrong with this thread, hes simply asking for a price list on mods specifically optimal for his BA so maybe you should stop post whoring your "hit the search button" crap...

Anyway, back on topic, all I can say is that go the panel filter just for ease and minimal dif between the pod's performace, (and a badly installed pod can be detremental to your power) and mandrel bent intake pipe isn't really worth the money, as the increased power from it would be negligable, jusy looks good. You will find an edit to give you a big boost from any other mods you have done.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cheers heaps smiley thats pretty much sum it all thanx mate.
Wether the pod and mandrel were worth it hey.

And yeh man i understand theres ALOT of threads bout this - basic mods etc - but you need to look through alot of b/s and opinions AND most its not directed to BA, just upto AU's. Which isnt bad! i mean its a forum yeh so thats gonna happen and its good cause u get second opinions but i was wondering if thats where to start and end and if its a good overall plan to mod - so ya know tick it off one by one.

I mean i looked through alot of threads to get that summary (eg Lukey Exhaust not Cat, The top and low snorkels (althought its suggested you just upgrad top snorkel, no one really said the twin is a great idea, just 'ok').

But yeh. anyway mate cheers.

On and Smiley, with the steptronic auto's in the BA's, upgrade your diff ya reckon? I know its been mentioned before with some of the Auto falcons having bad (?) low gear ratio's.

100% BEEF NO ADDED RICE

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cheers heaps smiley thats pretty much sum it all thanx mate.
Wether the pod and mandrel were worth it hey.

And yeh man i understand theres ALOT of threads bout this - basic mods etc - but you need to look through alot of b/s and opinions AND most its not directed to BA, just upto AU's. Which isnt bad! i mean its a forum yeh so thats gonna happen and its good cause u get second opinions but i was wondering if thats where to start and end and if its a good overall plan to mod - so ya know tick it off one by one.

I mean i looked through alot of threads to get that summary (eg Lukey Exhaust not Cat, The top and low snorkels (althought its suggested you just upgrad top snorkel, no one really said the twin is a great idea, just 'ok').

But yeh. anyway mate cheers.

On and Smiley, with the steptronic auto's in the BA's, upgrade your diff ya reckon? I know its been mentioned before with some of the Auto falcons having bad (?) low gear ratio's.

100% BEEF NO ADDED RICE

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

i think it all soound good. BUT your not going to get it all done under 2K. maybe 5. the exhaust alone will probably cost you 1500, depending on extactors, pulling the head off one of those isnt cheap. probably 800 just for removal. plus then port and polish, and a cam (do wade even make them for BA's yet?) PLUS you wan a chip. i think cappa do one for around 1K.
i dnt know how much all the little crap will cost (XR6T intake, mandrel bent pipe etc.) but those parts for ba's arnt $30 from ford like XH snorkels and stuff.

well my 2c any hoo.

dont mean to be rude about it, just trying to help.

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cheers mate! yeh i was worried about BA costs.

I read the doco for changing cams, and i figured i do some more reading and maybe get around to doing it myself in the future.

(who do i ask; the doco on changing cams doesnt have the pics with it?)

But i guess the BA will have more $$$ involved with it.

100% BEEF NO ADDED RICE

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

look, theres nothin wrong with this thread, hes simply asking for a price list on mods specifically optimal for his BA so maybe you should stop post whoring your "hit the search button" crap...

Well if he did the search he'd get his answers a s**t load uqicker than waiting for someone who feels like repeating information for the millionth time. It's all about him helping himself.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Xploitd wrote:
I read the doco for changing cams, and i figured i do some more reading and maybe get around to doing it myself in the future.

(who do i ask; the doco on changing cams doesnt have the pics with it?)

But i guess the BA will have more $$$ involved with it.

BA is DOHC, not SOHC like in the doco, I'd assume thatthat would make it more complicated, also more expensive as two cams have to be replaced.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EBeast wrote:
the exhaust alone will probably cost you 1500, depending on extactors,

your joking right buddy? maybe 1500 for a full stainless steel system from extractors to tip. if your willing to settle for mild steel and a cheap chrome tip should come to no more than $1000. 2 1/2" universal high flow cat converter about $200, bbut the BA cat is more than good enough for flowing, so just get it choped and the flanges changed to 2 /12" to suit the new set up as it's new and would be in good enough condition to still use, won't notice any gain from the extra dollars spent). Pacey extractors prolly $450 to $600, depending on were you get them and which ones. exhaust should be under $300. 2 1/2" chorme exhaust tips are $15.00 at repco and other car part stores. if you buy all the crap from one joint installation should be free and should get a fair discount, as the prices i mentioned are at the higher end of the range.

Post subject: Re: MODS to I6 Falcons summarised from forums, these right?
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Xploitd wrote:
INTIAL MODS:
Exhaust:
i, Lukey Exhuast 2.5inch cat back
ii, Reback mufflers (maybe split) w/o resonator
iii, Hi-flo cat (no lukey cause they are crap?):

lukey make the best exhaust, but s**t extractors.

Post subject: Re: MODS to I6 Falcons summarised from forums, these right?
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Xploitd wrote:

Intake:
i, Dual lower and higher snorkels from XR6 turbo (buy on ebay for $170) NOTE: whats the go cold air intake scoops over radiator on xr8? is it a much better top snorkel?
ii, Hi-flow filter panel NOTE: are cone/pod filters really neccessay?
iii, Mandrel Bent Pipe from Airbox to TB NOTE: is this really neccessary or just pretty?
iv, Polished TB (upgrade?)

ADVANCED MODS:
v, Pacemaker Extractors (long and thin for low end?)
vii, Wade 2nd Hand Cams (change springs, seals?)
viii, Port and Polish (shave?)
ix, Chip (to get grunt from advanced mods)

Don;t get a chiop, flsh tunes are way better.
Wade cams are not 2nd hand really, there regrinds, also they do billet ones. Not sure if they do BAs.
Don't know of anyone doing mandrell bent tubing for BA air intake.
K&N air filter is definately a good idea.
Don't buy an expensive air intake snorelk like SS Induction, there good on the turbos, but pointless on the NA's. Just get the XR6T one. 2nd CAI from a typhoon is a great idea too. If you have the money get the SS Induction though, but only if you have more money than brains.
Don;t bother polishing your throttle body, rayther get a SS Induction larger one.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Xploitd wrote:

manual conversion to either T5 or T56 is best option for getting more out of it. finding a BF with 6 speed auto is also a better idea than the 4 speed BA auto. However fitting an LSD and changing the diff ratio to something a bit higher will give you more poke.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Anyway, back on topic, all I can say is that go the panel filter just for ease and minimal dif between the pod's performace, (and a badly installed pod can be detremental to your power) and mandrel bent intake pipe isn't really worth the money, as the increased power from it would be negligable, jusy looks good. You will find an edit to give you a big boost from any other mods you have done.

Fair call. Plus, by posting a "new topic", will ensure that you are getting all relevant and up to date information. An old thread may not contain up to date info. Plus, this way he gets the answers he wants thats specific to his question. Not general ones.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next