Fordmods Logo

My car keeps conking out... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: My car keeps conking out...
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon ED

QLD, Australia

Here's how it is... I have this EA CFI I'm trying to get going. It runs alright for a while then conks out for no real reason. If I stop I can start it straight away, but being an intermittent problem I cant put my finger on it. I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump but it made no difference. Tomorrow I might change the dizzy and alternator and see what happens.
Just wondering if anybody had the same problem, and what the solution was. Its already blown up one coil, and I noticed the teeth of the dizzy were a bit worked over. The alternator belt seems to scream and create clouds of smoke every so often, despite being tight enough. Its not screaming on start up or when I switch headlights on, but seems to accompany it running really rough and making weird exhaust smoke.
Cheers for now...

Post subject: Re: My car keeps conking out...
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

first step is dont use the word "Conking out" my mum uses that old gay lingo and it drives me mad >?<
like calling the fking car sterio a wireless ><

dizzy sounds like it might be the problem,, i mean might be if the gear looks screwed the timing might be jumping in and out and this might expalin the smoke but meh that doesant expain the belt screem

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon ED

QLD, Australia

Cheers for the ideas... Yeah I guess its a bit old and gay using "conking out", normally I'd use "died in the a***" but I think it might get censored... I was kind of thinking the belt scream might be an unrelated issue, its a fairly dodgy battery and alternator has some age about it.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Your car may be conking out due to the wireless, or possibly the generator.. old enough for you.

Belt scream could also indicate the bearings in the alt. are on the last legs. Puff of smoke here and there could also lead back to the powersteering, could be overfull and pumping some out the cat onto the exhaust?

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Check the small plug with 2 wires coming out of it on the back of the alt is clean and plugged in properly, that could explain the intermintent rough running and stalling and belt squeal, no idea about the puffs of smoke though..

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

dfo you smoke in the car?

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]