Fordmods Logo

My cars at the mechanics and it ain't good! IT'S BACK!!! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: My cars at the mechanics and it ain't good! IT'S BACK!!!
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I spat it and took my car to have the timing chain done on Monday.
Just got a phone call and the bloke says I need new engine mounts!
I said ok, I'll do them later, and he starts saying it'll be cheaper to do them now. And I asked why? And he said couse the engines out of course!
Why the f**k did they remove the engine to change the chain? Surely just the timing cover comes off? I asked and said no the sump and everything has to come off!
And he mentions that couse it's on LPG and has extractors it'll cost more too!

If the engine doesn't actually come off, am I within my rights to refuse to pay the extra considering I wasn't informed of the change or anything(originallly when we spoke we agreed it didn't have to come out). Plus I was told to allow $300.00 for labour to have the chain replaced.

This is exactly why this is only the second time I've taken it to e mechanic!

Last edited by twr7cx on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

If anything like the V8 then the timing cover will come off without disturbing the sump... but putting the cover back on is a different story... have to at least 'drop' the sump down a bit which is a huge pain in the a**.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The sump has to be lowered to get the cover off. The front 4 sump bolts go into the timing cover. But that doesnt excuse why they've taken the engine out.

Timing covers can be done in car fairly easily. You need to be a little bit of a contortionist to get it done on a I6, but nothing that cant be accomplished in an afternoon.

I heard you might be coming over for the AFD. Tell the moron to put the engine back in, and we can do it in my garage then. :D

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XY Fairmont

SA, Australia

I know its a bit late now, but when you get quoted a certain price, or a ballpark figure, you should sign a job card with the $ figure on it. Anything over that and you should be contacted first. I'm on the 'other side' of the counter at a workshop and it can get messy unless you do this.

Real Cars have Chrome Bars

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
The sump has to be lowered to get the cover off. The front 4 sump bolts go into the timing cover. But that doesnt excuse why they've taken the engine out.

Timing covers can be done in car fairly easily. You need to be a little bit of a contortionist to get it done on a I6, but nothing that cant be accomplished in an afternoon.

I heard you might be coming over for the AFD. Tell the moron to put the engine back in, and we can do it in my garage then. :D

yes whs ^^^^^^^

f**k mehcanics i swear 1 day i will have my shop

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Tell him you will refuse to pay the extra labour, because he decided to remove the engine when it is not necessary. If he can't do a chain with the engine still installed he can't be too much of a mechanic.
Only things I remove when doing a chain is; fans, radiator, Harmonic balencer, timing cover & lower the sump.
Sounds like he's trying to generate work that isn't there. Next he'll be telling you the head has to come off!

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

yeah thats f**k up so many dodgey mechs around, the sump doesnt actually have to come off i pulled timing case off a motor the other week, event ho its not in a car i couldnt see why it couldnt be done while motor is in the car, just take radiator and fans out.

oh and arm i though arm dodgey mechanics was closed for the summer lol

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

To do the cover correctly you really need to either take the head off, or drop the sump. I've done mine before by just dropping the sump down and leaving the engine in the car, and I'm a computer tech not a mechanic.. You wonder how these people get through trade school....

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Rapier wrote:
oh and arm i though arm dodgey mechanics was closed for the summer lol

Summer would be pretty much over by then... I think I can squeeze him in :D

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

whats the name of this place?

I'll get my contact to check them out, if there were any past complaints.

Its always better to let them know what you're taking about & what you "WANT" to be done, straight up. let them know who's the boss. that way, they're not gonna run you dry with the s**t.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I was dealing with the boss, and I told them exactly what I wanted. a. for them to check the timing chain tensioner to see if I was just being too retarded to tension it properly, and b. if it was not the timing chain tensioner that is the problem to find out what is and let me know, but if it is a stetched timing chain (which me and the old boy are 100% certain is the case as it seems who ever had been in there previous to us had actually jammed the tensioner up to provide constant over tension) then to replace the chain if that is what is needed.
I also provided a new fan belt, harmonic balance, timing case gaskets, chain and guides and told him to use what he needs and the rest I can return.

I chose this mob because they service our company cars, and there our stores biggest clients (or the store I used to work at - I've changed stores now, but for those that don't know I'm a s**t kicker at Repco just casual, like do some delivery driving during the week and counter and phone work weekends and fridays). But a fair few people recomended this mob to me (including a rep from Hobarts biggest Holden dealer - lol), and my 2IC got his Valiant done there (by done I mean they rmeoved his I6 and K-Frame, fitted a Hemi V8 and K-frame, fitted disc brakes at the back, lowered the back, fitted a Ford 9" and did the tailshaft and all for a wicked price). They've also seemed really good when I've dealt with them on the phone at work or dropped stuff round to them.

Nice offer Arm, but I dunno how the engine would of liked driving 400km's to get to you with the chain scraping!

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

I assume that means you're going to be hit with cost for coolant too, let alone labour... I wonder if they have the engine completely out or if they've just lifted it in the bay?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

SileNceR wrote:
I assume that means you're going to be hit with cost for coolant too, let alone labour... I wonder if they have the engine completely out or if they've just lifted it in the bay?

Don't know. I'll be organising for my coolant and oil to be dropped around there tomorrow morning (just ring up the boys at the nearest store and they drop it there and put it on my bill lol) - as I don't want any generic crap put in there!

Anyways I'm not slagging them off, I mean if when I go there he says say $350.00 then I've got no problems, but if he starts with some ridiculous figure then there most certainly will be some issues!

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i dont see the problem with him taking the engine out.
he just decided a few bellhousing bolts and unplug some wire was going to be easier then f**k around with lifting the engine and droping the sump.

gives him the chance to check over the entire engine while it out and inform you of any other problems. and in this case he would save you money ont he engine mounts being done. as it would only ad the cost of the parts to the job and no extra laybor. hell if he's got it out get save your self more money and have the rear main done too, extra cost of $12 for the part and 2mins to put it in..

for $300 he's given him self 4 and half ours to do it. you could easily have the engine out in an hour, do the chain and guides and for peace of mind do a rear main a set of core plugs and the mount in 2 hours and leave you self an hour and half to put the engine back in..... no big deal

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

fair enough then tickford_6, the way you put it sounds a lot nicer, but I was presuming taking the engine out and back was a few days work hence why I've been freaking out about cost!
I don't care what he does so long as it's fixed proper and I can afford it! I've got a maxed out credit card, eaten my savings and am borrowing money from the parents to pay for this (not a problem considering this is my 13th day of work in a row, just wish it didn't take so long to get paid!)!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next