My cars overheating/running hot 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: My cars overheating/running hot
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

EB 6 cylinder

The other day, coming up one of the fairly large local hills, i overheated. There was roadworks at the bottom, so i was doing 60, down from 110. The roadworks finished, i pick up speed while inclining, get back to 110, and find im beind a truck, so slow back down to 55 or so and travel up the hill. AS i overtook the truck at the brow of the hill the overheating light cameon. I put it down to those particular circumstances, switched off the car and let it cool down for half an hour before continuing. However, several times since the temp gauge has climbed right up, and doesnt seem to drop very fast. Still sits on the middle of the o in normal, but if it gets hot wont drop very fast.

So today i replaced the water pump, thermostat, and lower radiator hose. Took it for a spin with no fan, and no fan shroud in case i had to pull it back out because of leaks, but so far i havent. Seemed to run fine, sat in the normal position, but i didnt do anything to get the heat into the motor in case it decided to keep rising. Bought it home, put the fan back on, and then put the shroud on. Took it for another drive, giving it a little bit of stick, and it started getting hot again! So now it sits around the middle of the M and A. I asked the guy at fords for a thermostat to suit, and he gave me a 91 degree thermostat? Is this correct? The radiator isnt blocked from bugs, and there was hardly anything that came out in the water, so i dont think its blocked internally. Looks fairly new and may have been replaced just before i bought the car almost two years ago. I checked the timing, and thats within a degree or so. Had a look at the plugs and theyre a browny colour, so im assuming it isnt running too lean either. My only other thoughts are to replace the fuel filter and maybe get the injectors cleaned?

Im out of ideas people!

Going to pull the oxy sensor out of the exhaust tomorrow, clean that in white vinegar, and then reset the computer. But does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks, and sorry for rambling :D

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

When that happened to my EA it turned out to be a blown head gasket - is there water in your oil?
Spark plugs and fuel filter wont affect your temperature I would have thought.

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

does the EB still have the clutch fan - maybe that is screwed - I would suggest upgrading to twin thermo's ... it will go a long way to help solving pretty much all your heating issues...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

KTASTRPHE wrote:
When that happened to my EA it turned out to be a blown head gasket - is there water in your oil?
Spark plugs and fuel filter wont affect your temperature I would have thought.

lol he doesn't need to know that kurt - i think he's had enough issues with head gaskets! :P

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Lol, never blown a head gasket yet. Cracked two heads though.... No water in oil, its losing water, but not as fast as ive had previously.... As for going to twin thermos, im trying to sort something out there. As for spark plugs and fuel filter not causing it to run hot, the spark plugs act as an indicator as to whether its running too lean, and if the fuel filter is blocked through dodgy southwest fuel, there may be a chance of it not getting the right pressure and running lean! Also, going to clean out the oxy sensor in white vinegar as this is whats been suggested to me, but is it the right stuff to use? Thanks!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:27 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

If it's losing water than it's going somewhere?

Have you checked all those stupid hoses under the inlet manfold near the firewall. Heater tap and heater hoses. They are known to leak and stuff up after a few years.

I reckon a few cooked engines could be put down to those hoses splitting and ford putting a gay temperature gauge in that will measure only coolant temp and not block temperature.

If there is no coolant then the temp gauge just reads the temp of the air inside the thermostat housing and everything looks fine on the dash..

ford are dumb a*** sometimes when you think about it. Low coolant switches was there only bright idea but only high series models get them.

The owner of the low series falcons is none the wiser that he has lost a s**t load of coolant and the temp gauge is still showing a normal reading....

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

if you watch your gauge it will tell you whats happening. My cars got low coolant sensor too. But the car doesnt loose any water while parked, which, as much as it makes me cringe, makes me think its another head/gasket. Maybe between exhaust and water instead of oil? No idea.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

could be your coolant bottle cap is stuffed and it is purging water when under pressure.. ?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Coolant cap being replaced soon. Fraud didnt have the right one in stock. went down to ford, they were going to charge me 160 for a fuel filter, picked one up local for 23 dollars. Rip off!

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
If it's losing water than it's going somewhere?

Have you checked all those stupid hoses under the inlet manfold near the firewall. Heater tap and heater hoses. They are known to leak and stuff up after a few years.

I reckon a few cooked engines could be put down to those hoses splitting and ford putting a gay temperature gauge in that will measure only coolant temp and not block temperature.

If there is no coolant then the temp gauge just reads the temp of the air inside the thermostat housing and everything looks fine on the dash..

ford are dumb a*** sometimes when you think about it. Low coolant switches was there only bright idea but only high series models get them.

The owner of the low series falcons is none the wiser that he has lost a s**t load of coolant and the temp gauge is still showing a normal reading....
they placed the temp sensor in front of the engine so it'll give you a false assurance that all is honky dorry. if you think about it, the sensor is right where all the colder coolant circulate & all that loverly air rushing in from the front.
just imagine if they placed the temp sensor at the back of the engine. just image your temp gage reading.
It makes you think why so many people blow head casket around the back of the block, even cracks. thats my theory anyways.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

the ford radiators get full of crap, you really need to get it professionally cleaned.
my old fairmont did what you've just described, but before i fixed it, the guy i sold it to just bought it there and then.
I'd be fitting twin thermo's, that helps so much.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

The bloke next door just installed an after market temperature gauge for $50 into his low series EB falcon(spak copy). It measures block temp and i am thinking about putting one in aswell. The el falcon has a low coolant switch but i reckon a block temp gauge is the way to go.

It's just a thermocouple that attaches to the engine block. He just used the earthing bolt for the main battery lead.

It works are treat..............

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dude it sounds like your headgasket is gone, mine just blew in my ef with same probs. had been loosing water for ages, took it to our mechanic an he said the head gasket was gone an that the head needed to be sent off to be machined.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

whats this clean oxy sensoor in white vinegar? never heard it b4? safe? does it work? my economy is 16+L/100km still.. so might try give it a clean.

promise me it wont f**k it up? ;)

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i cleaned mine in spirits (like metho).
didn't do a thing, but worth a shot.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next