Post subject: My Exhaust is to loud!
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

G'day
I'v got a custom 2.5" exhaust with a straight though muffler in the middle and a hotdog at the end. I loved it when i got the exhaust, but about a month ago i got a high-flow cat put on. That changed the note alot and its way to loud now. (well over 100db, the person who did my exhaust says) I'm thinking of getting a different exhaust now. Just wondering what people would recomend. I still want it to be sort of beefy noise but not too over the top.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Why would you get a new exhaust?

Just replace the muffler for a high flow offset one. If its still too loud then swap the hotdog for a decent resonator.

If its still too loud, wear ear plugs !!!

Post subject: Re: My Exhaust is to loud!
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
G'day
I'v got a custom 2.5" exhaust with a straight though muffler in the middle and a hotdog at the end. I loved it when i got the exhaust, but about a month ago i got a high-flow cat put on. That changed the note alot and its way to loud now. (well over 100db, the person who did my exhaust says) I'm thinking of getting a different exhaust now. Just wondering what people would recomend. I still want it to be sort of beefy noise but not too over the top.

How big is the muffler that you got fitted??? That can play a major part in the noise side of things. I have a large muffler, works well. Its twin 2&1/4" inlets and a single 2&1/2" outlet.

Attachments:
My homemade Exhaust on 88EA sedan. 007.jpg
My homemade Exhaust on 88EA sedan. 007.jpg [ 505.56 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Met up with one of the guys here on a greet & meet. running a M90 blower on a mpi modified manifold & inter cooler on his NC fairlane. funny thing, he ran only "2 straight through resonator's" with no mufflers. Had a real nice raspy note to it when fired up... nice legal sound!
His username is "xfpaul"

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

i have a 2 1/2 " a cam with the normal muffler and rear resonator and it makes a nice note a is reasonably quiet, a mate also had the muffler and resonator and a hotdog he did it himself

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb

NSW, Australia

my eb has a 2.5 mandrel bent with hi flo cat and 1 straight thru muffler and 3 inch back from there,not loud at all!!

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Do extractors make the exhaust any louder?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got extractors, a Delco cat from a 5lt commodore, 2.5" system all the way & only 1 muffler, it's fairly large, and keeps my EB fairly quiet at idle, has a reasonable note to it when you wind it up past 3k rpm, but not overly loud. If my EB is just sitting by itself, the idle is nice, just noticeable.

Well i have to say quiet in comparison to some of the other cars i own, but it's definatly not deafening like my panelvan is @ 3k rpm. 253ci v8, 2.5" with a hotdog & 1 medium sized muffler. No extractors on the beastie, yet. People think i'm bs'n them when i say it doesn't have extractors. lol.

If it's too loud, just change the muffler as suggested or even do that + maybe add a 2nd if it's really required.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

ive got extractors, 2.5" mandrel bent, with 1 muffler and a hotdog... and that is stupidly loud, but not droney.

and it hasnt got the usually 4.0 note to it :S more F1 note-like, if you kinda understand what im saying

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yea mine isn't very loud at idle just when you get past 3k its get very throaty and stupidly loud. Can you buy lukey mufflers by them selfs?

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

ive got a Lukey 2 1/2'' catback system with one straight thru muffler, and no extractors, and its 89dB on idle and 114dB at 3000 rpm.

a bit too loud i think... :P

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Slick wrote:
Met up with one of the guys here on a greet & meet. running a M90 blower on a mpi modified manifold & inter cooler on his NC fairlane. funny thing, he ran only "2 straight through resonator's" with no mufflers. Had a real nice raspy note to it when fired up... nice legal sound!
His username is "xfpaul"

Yeah, I've heard a 5 speed BA with the same sort of setup, awesome sound believe it or not, had a raspy but beefy note.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

cboz wrote:
Slick wrote:
His username is "xfpaul"

Yeah, I've heard a 5 speed BA with the same sort of setup, awesome sound believe it or not, had a raspy but beefy note.
I swore it had full size mufflers on them by the sound of it until I had a look. redback & lukey sound s**t compared to it, it was a different sound all together!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Add another hot dog in front of the main muffler.
Or replace teh rear hot dog with a resinator.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

alfy wrote:
ive got a Lukey 2 1/2'' catback system with one straight thru muffler, and no extractors, and its 89dB on idle and 114dB at 3000 rpm.

a bit too loud i think... :P

It's running that loud? What's the legal limit for our Ford I6's @ 3k rpm?

Man, maybe i should put a meter near my EB & see what it registers @ 3k rpm! But then again, i grew up with lots of 5lt or larger v8's with very minimal muffling around me all the time, so even a loud ish 6 is fairly quiet to me. My mums XD with 351ci Clevo could set off car alarms if you gave it a tickle of the throttle while driving past parked cars. But i guess it should with a 3" system with only one medium sized straight thru muffler. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next