My new purchase woes 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: My new purchase woes
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, just picked up a 1998 EL wagon auto 6 from a backpacker in Sydney for $600. Took it for a drive around the city and drove wonderfully, got on the freeway and it was sitting on 3000rpm doing 110. I chucked it back to 3rd manually and no change..... so the box is not engaging 4th. I have not had a chance to check the tranny fluid, but if the tranny fluid is fine what am I looking at? Could it be the ecu or ( it does have a hd towbar) the box itself? If its the box what am I looking at replacing?
The other problem it has is its got rego till august in WA and I am in NSW. How strict are the Wa gov on cars regoed outer state? Do I need to get a rwc to extend the rego in wa?
Its a bummer about this car, she has 320k on the clock yet the motor drives like new. Its had a couple of grand spent on brakes/cooling system and steering from between april to the start of june this year, no rust, nice interior except roof lining sag ( nothing big to fix), its just this 4th gear thats bummed the sale out. Any advise would be great guys and gals

Post subject: Re: My new purchase woes
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Get a tranny service for a start.
Surpriced it dosnt have flogged out ballies and ect being a backpacker car.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

+1 on the Transmission service, Check your tans oil first, plug on the right hand side of the box.
If the box is stuffed, give me a yell, I have a BTR out of an AU that was working well when it came out of the car, I only bought it for the AU bellhousing, You can have the box for $50.00.

On the Rego, it must be transfered to NSW rego ASAP. If you move from interstate you used to get 3 months to transfer the rego to the new state, not too sure on the timing now. Here is a link to RTA on Interstate vehicles and NSW rego.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... icles.html

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

na mate these guys were belgiun Engineers who bought it for $2300 to drive from Wa to sydney, they spent alot of cash making sure it would not conk out over the nulla and seemed more interested in world of warcraft than thrashing the car. I was going to get the tranny serviced but didnt want to waste a service on a tranny that might need to be replaced. Suppose if something needs to be done while its being serviced they could tell me and either I or they can do it. These cars have a self diagnosis unit in them dont they? COuld that be used to figure out the problem or would something like this not show up?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cool Thanks mate. How heavy is the tranny withouth the bellhousing on it? COuld one bloke do it would a pit? I will definately keep you in mind. Once I get the tranny fixed and give the motor a full service should pass blue easy
SWC wrote:
+1 on the Transmission service, Check your tans oil first, plug on the right hand side of the box.
If the box is stuffed, give me a yell, I have a BTR out of an AU that was working well when it came out of the car, I only bought it for the AU bellhousing, You can have the box for $50.00.

On the Rego, it must be transfered to NSW rego ASAP. If you move from interstate you used to get 3 months to transfer the rego to the new state, not too sure on the timing now. Here is a link to RTA on Interstate vehicles and NSW rego.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Check your oil first, if it is dark and s**t, may just need a good flush and service.

Does the car go through the gears from 1st to 3rd or is it just in 3rd. If it is just in 3rd it is probably in limp home mode.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
Cool Thanks mate. How heavy is the tranny withouth the bellhousing on it? COuld one bloke do it would a pit? I will definately keep you in mind. Once I get the tranny fixed and give the motor a full service should pass blue easy
SWC wrote:

One man can lift it but handy to have 2 when fitting it, best to do on a hoist but can be done if you are keen on the ground.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

She goes through 1st to 3rd and I am sure when I pulled out of the petrol station half way home she engaged 4th but then pulled back to 3rd when I sped up to 100

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Probably need a good service. Make sure that they flush the system, get all the old oil out.

Does it have an oil cooler?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dont know mate, can remember when I inspected it. Its in the driveway at the moment and its pissing down, and work has had be going from dusk till dawn today, tomorrow and then overnight in the city on thursday. What were you thinking with the oil cooler? It should have one stock shouldnt it?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Oil cooler were fitted if it had a factory tow pack. BTR's run hot and heat kills BTR's, if it doesn't have one get one fitted it will only help.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Can do mate, thanks for the advise. These trannys, if it does need a replacement, would they be hard to do? I have done tranny replacements on torries/old commy's and kingswoods so I a little out of date but a tranny is a tranny on the outside...... right?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Not that hard, pretty much the same as they have always been, just less room :lol: .

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

:lol: that with all cars now days though hey. I will give to fords though, they do leave more room to move than most. Could never figure out the dizzy placement though, why have it under the inlet like that?

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That $50 tranny if needed would save me from having to sell my xg, that too is a bad choice car..... But when your on a trainee wage at 32 with kids you buy junk, because junk is all you can afford :oops:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next