Fordmods Logo

need advice about modding EA and also about XR6 parts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: need advice about modding EA and also about XR6 parts
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL fairlane

VIC, Australia

hi ,im new to the forums but have been viewing for a while now.
i have an EA fairmont ghia MPFI 4spdauto 290ks i purchased from an old lady who kept it in beautiful condition, except for the bumpers front and back are hanging by zip ties.

the advice i need is what order i should mod my car.

im looking at the whole kit, pod, extractors, 2.5"xorst, cam, thermofans, 3.45 lsd, hi-stall or manual conversion, problem is im not very wealthy and i will have to do this in bits and pieces and im thinking to put LPG for obvious reasons (ie ULP$1.60+).

i have already started by putting a 3A pod (made a big difference), which i will box on the weekend.
lukey headers i got on ebay in my inexperience and ignorance of performance mods, plus a redback cat i pulled from the wreckers, together on the standard exhaust made more noise but i cant tell if it made much difference.

im thinking the first thing to do is get a whole new exhaust from head to tail, there is a mob used to be on ebay said they would sell me hurricane or redback header (whichever they have in stock at the time), hi flow cat, and 2.5" exhaust as a kit with gaskets and mounts for $620, is this worth investing in? how does the hurricane or redback rate against the lukey or pacemaker?

another option is i buy JMMs DEV1 kit which has exhaust and headers for $1090 and install myself.

also i want to know if i get a junky eb-ed XR6 as a donor car will the cam, lsd and exhaust and any other goodies benefit me, especially the cam, will it drop straight into my EA.

please give me your sincere advices.

also if anybody knows someone looking for an apprentice in the southeast melbourne i am looking for someone to teach me.

Attachments:
Image030.jpg
Image030.jpg [ 119.1 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

EB-ED xr6 cam will fit.. As will the Diff and other stuff.

The exhaust is good value for 600ish..

I know because I have the same car.. and currently it has an ED motor with and Xr6 cam I got off ebay..

I'm not far off bolting in a supercharged EL motor and it should be all straight forward from here.

290,000 kms is a fair bit.. have it compression checked and try and get an indication for how well the engine was maintained... if its on it's way out.. just get an EB-AU 4lt and put that in..

If you get an EL motor, you'll get a performance improvement straight away over the 3.9.. and you can pick the motors up cheap now. (I paid 120 for mine.)

rgds

Frank

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks, where would i get the EL motor cheap, would i have to get EL power steering, alternator etc to suit serpentine belt setup?

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I got my EL motor with all the fruit.

In perth I'd say the quokka.... in Vic, I don't know.. perhaps the tradingpost or places like that.

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks, i will take that into consideration, i saw an secondhand EL XR6 motor for $550 plus about $100-150 shipping, is this to much assuming it is in reasonable used condition?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]