need help. BA xr6, Throttle fault warning light 

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: need help. BA xr6, Throttle fault warning light
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

u guys still going on about it.. yes i was wrong.....and no a lower thermostat will be helpfull for when this hot summer hits....

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

you shouldn't put a lower opening thermostat in, even if your fitting under drivers, what you should be looking at is at a thermostat that opens at same temp as factory but is a high flow thermostat. even then its only really relatively slightly possibly needed/wanted if you have under drivers fitted.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nah i dont have under drive kit YET!!
yes it is a high flow thermostat 82 degree.
flushed my coolant right out of the engine at same time of placing thermostatt.

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fitting a thermostat that opens up at FACTORY temp, but flows faster then a factory thermostat is the correct thing to do when fitting under drivers (if im wrong on this please correct me). the idea is to keep the engine temp the same, not lower or hotter.

back on topic, with regards to EL___Fairmont post, the im guessing "throttle position switch" is just another name for "throttle position sensor" i know its a stupid question but i just want to be 100% sure that were talking about the same thing. if it is it looks pretty easy to replace and i should be able to do it my self.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

By the way, never use e10 fuel in ur car, it will f**k ur engine over a long period of time..

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:35 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

thats not true..its all a myth.. the b series are made to be able to run e10, it wont do any harm at all , there are even a few turbo guys getting around running e85..
if this was true all b series will need to be scraped in 2013 when normal unleaded is phased out..

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
By the way, never use e10 fuel in ur car, it will f**k ur engine over a long period of time..

fun fact, the alcohol in e10 actually cleans your fuel tank, problem with this is all the sludge in your tank clogs your fuel filter and can lean out the engine causing issues.
and yes we all know it isn't the best fuel available for your car.
however in saying that, im considering getting the car tuned to run on e85 once it becomes more abundant at fuel stations in sydney. (however from what i've read, at the moment it actually works out the same price to run as petrol as your using more fuel for less km's)
now back to topic
do you guys reckon it would be worthwhile replacing the motor that controls the throttle body and the TPS (throttle position switch) in one hit to be safe, or just changing the TPS should be enough.

p.s. as for my theory on this being caused by engine bay heat. its just that it seems to coincidental that both times their was no air movement in the engine bay. after getting more input and research the only way i could see heat being the problem is if somehow its affecting an already fault sensor. which is still pretty unlikely seeing as it would have to get drastically hot to really affect it. so im ruling out the engine bay heat.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hey Winman is your throttle body clean ? Have you tried cleaning it ?
Another thing you can try is a throttle body reset. The procedure has been discusssed on here in the past. Turn on ignition put accelerator flat to floor and whilst flat to floor crank engine for a few seconds. repeat again, turn off ignition and restart the car as normal.
And anyone whos thinking that the car will start and rev the answer is B series wont start if the accelerator is held flat while cranking.
Try that and see how it goes before you change s**t.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yes throttle body is clean i cleaned it about 3 months ago (the inside of the manifold looks like its brand new). i picked up a whole throttle body from a wreckers for $50 bucks, so im going to swap the motor and sensor onto my TB. ford quoted me $220 just for the sensor.
also got a territory intake 45 bucks :D

when i get time ill change it over do a ECU reset and a throttle body reset.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Good score lol.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok well what ive done is kept my standard throttle body (looked cleaner and in bit better nick) but transferred over the motor and the sensor, one thing i noticed was that the motor on my original TB felt a little hesitant to move while the one i got from the wreckers moved very easily.
while the throttle body was off i checked out the inlet manifold and sure enough still nice and sparkly clean from the last time i hit it with carby cleaner.

took it for a drive and did a quick 0-100 time, it was 7.13, which is slightly better then before, (this was on poor road surface so i could not stall up as high or else i will lose traction). everything works good, nice slight little increase from the territory intake aswell, even tho i mainly did it because i believe piping with out huge mold dimples in it is more correct. everything was working all good.
now just need to wait to see if the throttle light comes on again. hopefully it never does.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

also took the battery off for 50 mins, and did the throttle restart, so i should be good.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hopefully you got it all sorted out..winman.. cheers

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

Well talking about E85, its a good fuel.. but anyway you wouldnt have to scrap the car, just upgrade your fuel lines etc as E85 will eat the old syle lines/components away.
But yeah the BA is cool with it, though i'd carry a few fuel filters with you for a while as the E85 will clean all the sludge out of your petrol tank.

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
Well talking about E85, its a good fuel.. but anyway you wouldnt have to scrap the car, just upgrade your fuel lines etc as E85 will eat the old syle lines/components away.
But yeah the BA is cool with it, though i'd carry a few fuel filters with you for a while as the E85 will clean all the sludge out of your petrol tank.

thanks for the info, i won't be doing it untill a while as so far i haven't even seen a servo with e85, when i do im doing to clean out the fuel tank before hand so theirs no s**t to clog up the filter. but i can't wait to have more power at a cheaper running cost :twisted:

as for my throttle body, so far so good, i put the throttle body i got from the wreckers back together with my old parts (motor and TPS), even winding up the spring a little more then before i noticed that when the butterfly is opened by hand it doesn't return to normal idle position, while the one ive put back on my car does. so i think this pretty much confirms it, it was the motor that was playing up, as my old original motor is really hard to spin.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next