need help. BA xr6, Throttle fault warning light 

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: need help. BA xr6, Throttle fault warning light
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok this first started about 2 weeks ago, some of you may have seen a thread i made before.
whats happening is my "Throttle fault indicator" warning light is coming on, when it comes on the car does not travel above 60km/h i have no control over the acceleration and it feels and sounds as if its about to stall (car has a slight jolting action to it).

first time it happened i was parked with the car in park idling for about 5 mins.
second time (today) at the set of lights while in bumper to bumper traffic for about 20mins.
third time (today about 150m down the road after the second time). traffic was flowing well and i was doing about 70 (80km/h zone) then it went and i was stuck doing 60 in the 80 zone with a nice amount of cars getting p****d off behind me. i tried accelerating, nothing happened, revs or speed did not go up, nor did my real time L/100

if this helps a bit of info about the car. BA mk2 05 xr6 N/A -78,000Km's
mods; typhoon intake with K&N, full exhaust system, does have gauges (oil pressure and vacuum)
been running on 98RON fuel for the past 6 months, before then off and on from e10 or 98.
P-plate car, yes it has seen some enthusiastic driving, but since about 3 months its been babied around very very rarely seen WOT and if it has not for long (<5seconds)
as far as im aware all sensors/spark plugs are as from factory, but all fluids were changed about a year ago, and oil was last done about 2000km's ago.

i will be giving ford a call tomorrow so i can hopefully get the issue diagnosed, but if any one has had this happen before please do tell.
at the moment im clue less but im thinking it may the the sensor that detects throttle opening is bugged

thanks

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: need help. BA xr6, Throttle fault warning light
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

Have never heard of this problem happening before, but am very interested as to what its caused by!! keep us posted when u get it sorted..

BANNED USER

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i did a bit of a search its not common but nor is it nonexistent. ive picked out a common thing in most cases. engine bay temp is high, my water temp was fine, in fact it was slightly below normal when it happened but i have aftermarket extractors, so no heat shrouding, and im guessing cause of the low speed the heat was building up rather then being blown out.
this is just a theory, ive got no idea if this is really the case.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

winman wrote:
i did a bit of a search its not common but nor is it nonexistent. ive picked out a common thing in most cases. engine bay temp is high, my water temp was fine, in fact it was slightly below normal when it happened but i have aftermarket extractors, so no heat shrouding, and im guessing cause of the low speed the heat was building up rather then being blown out.
this is just a theory, ive got no idea if this is really the case.

if you're idling, you won't be producing very much heat (unless its a scorching hot 40c day)

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:49 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

I think it happens with all B series falcons. Mine has done iice in the 5 years ive had it. Ford said they wont know what it is unless it plays up while they have it. They reset fault codes on the ecu and sent me off. As much as its annoying dont stress too much about it unless it happens often.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:53 am 

NSW, Australia

Twice sorry. Stupid phones.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ill see how it goes, but having it happen twice on the same road with in about 3 mins of the last one. to me that doesn't exactly look like a good sign.
ive still got a funny feeling somehow the heat in the engine bay is causing/helping it, because yesterday was like a summers day for winter. and being stuck in traffic their is nothing to really blow out the hot air in the engine bay as thermo fans don't do to much.
maybe due to the exposed extractors the heat is causing a sensor to play up or something.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I recommend u flush ur radiator and put new coolant in there is a good thread of mine all about how to flush !

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 pm 

NSW, Australia

Flushing the radiator has nothing to do with a throttle issue.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

it will keep his engine cooler, check if it looks dirty, also put in a lower temp thermo stat, i put in a 82 degree one.
He is complaining about engine being hot u t***....

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hi winman,

I did a search on the net about your problem and found the following. I would suggest get another throttle position switch or a complete throttle body from the wreckers..cheaper..

========== ORIGINAL POSTING ==========
"FORD FALCON XR6 BA 2003: THROTTLE LIGHT AND MASSIVE ENGINE SHUDDERS - Bought my BA Falcon XR6 (with all optional extras) second hand. Fantastic car to drive, until one day, at approx 80,000k's I take off in the morning and some little light on the dash on the right hand side that looks like an engine is on ... More importantly, my attention was drawn to that because I had lost all acceleration and my engine felt like it was about to take off. Massive body and engine shudders ... felt like the whole engine was dragging on the ground.

So I pull over quickly, turn the engine off and pop the bonnet. Can't see anything wrong. Start the engine, take off no problem. It's now approx 95,000k's. This morning, SAME THING!

I had a look in the manual and apparently that light is the throttle light, indicating that the throttle system is not working (dah).

Any ideas? JD"
POSTED BY: J DESPINIDIC - LEICHHARDT, NSW - AUS 20 MAR 2007

========== REPLY ==========
Your vehicle has an intermittent electrical failure in the engine management system. Specifically because the throttle is controlled by an electric motor it will go into a limp or guard mode to minimise the chance of over acceleration (limits throttle opening) this resets on restart. Possible throttle position switch failure. You will need to take it to a Dealer for a diagnostic tool to be used such as WDS or PDS for a more precise answer.
POSTED BY: L DAVIS - BOMADERRY, NSW - AUS 23 MAR 2007

========== REPLY ==========
The problem is the Throttle Position Switch. Just had mine replaced ...be careful though cause when they replace it the screws shear off and the Throttle body needs replacing as well. $600 for the Throttle Body. About $160 for the switch.
POSTED BY: LEGEND - NEWCASTLE, NSW - AUS 30 MAR 2007

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
it will keep his engine cooler, check if it looks dirty, also put in a lower temp thermo stat, i put in a 82 degree one.
He is complaining about engine being hot u t***..

the engine it self is not hot, im saying the heat in the engine bay due to the hot exhaust gasses passing thro the exposed he'aders may be the issue. but thank you for your imput :). also the coolant itself is very very clean, no floaties at all

EL___Fairmont
what you posted is EXACTLY the same problem I'm having, ill ring around a couple of wreckers tomorrow and see what i can get, who knows i may even be lucky and score a SS larger TB cheap.
thanks a ton

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:14 pm 

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:

Hey grasshopper stop talking crap and pull your head in. Your trying to help but your changing coolant advice will not change the airflow temps in the throttle body nor do FA to change engine bay temps. His car is not even running hot. Seriously after reading what EL_Fairmont just posted it makes me laugh at you.
So it annoys me that a newbie like youself thinks he knows everything and throws insults at long time members that know what there talking about. Now lets move on.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ha ha whatever, ill shut my mouth in future, im a massive dribbler sometimes.

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:

wtf??? he said the engine temp is fine, why put a colder thermostat when its not needed.. the 82 deg is a tad to cold for starters, a 87 deg is the lowest you should go..
and again water temp has nothing to do with the throttle issue, the engine bay heat is from his extractors not being shielded.. again the engine bay heat shouldnt really have an effect on the throttle control...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next