Fordmods Logo

Need Help!!! EL Falcon wont start 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Need Help!!! EL Falcon wont start
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi and thanks for reading, I have read so many topics and threads but none help me with this issue...
My story...
EL Falcon stopped a couple of days ago, just died and had to be towed home. Will crank but not fire. I replaced the fuel filter, before tightening the filter i turned on the ignition and fuel sprayed out. This tells me that fuel pump is ok and pressure is good. After cranking i can pull a plug and find it wet with fuel. So i started checking the ignition circuit. replaced distributor and coil, still wont start. Checked timing, though incorrect, it should be close enough to start the car. Now when it cranks it seems like its trying to start but doesnt, occasional small backfire somewhere deep in the exhaust.

So... got fuel coming through, got spark when i pull a plug and earth it but car wont start

im now lost as to what the problem could be, i suspect injectors now, maybe all clogged and dribbling instead of atomising the fuel??????

I should point out that up to two months ago, car was sitting in a guys yard for bout year and half hardly started but has done couple thousand kms since i rescued it.

Any advice, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated..
regards, damien

Post subject: Re: Need Help!!! EL Falcon wont start
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1992 XF ute w/T5

VIC, Australia

my bro had a simler problem with his ED it wouldn't start, so he disconnected the ECU and it almost fired into life. i removed the BCM gave it a few taps and it went, so i took it for a quick test drive and it started serging at 70 km/h like as if it was out of fuel (full tank he had) it serged two more times then the revs droped to almost nothing and at 40 km/h all waring lights came and engine wouldnt re start. turns out that the ignition coil had cracked and failed, bought a new one and all fixed now, if that spark is an orangy color its weak.

CHEERS MARK

CUT BAIT OR GO FISHING!

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the response, ill pull the BCM out tomorrow and give it the once over. I assumed that since the smartlock light went out, the fuel pump works, the engine turns over and i have a spark the BCM is ok but it could be faulting during the cranking process so ill check that out. Other than that im ata loss. It was all very strange, car was running fine, lost a bit of power then dead and as far as i can determined, other than the injectors (and the BCM) oh and the ECU which im ignoring as wont be cheap to replace, ive covered all possibilities that i can think of and read in the forums. Ill post my findings tommorrow, thanks to all and have a great night. Damien

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Pulled the BCM out, looked good but i touched up all the solder connections anyway, reinstalled, no difference. The engine trys to fire but wont start. Im starting to think injectors as i cant work out what else it could be. if i have a faulty sensor somewhere, will this stop the engine starting or just cause it to run like crap. What else could it be......

Thanks

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:55 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

damonsw wrote:
Pulled the BCM out, looked good but i touched up all the solder connections anyway, reinstalled, no difference. The engine trys to fire but wont start. Im starting to think injectors as i cant work out what else it could be. if i have a faulty sensor somewhere, will this stop the engine starting or just cause it to run like crap. What else could it be......

Thanks

I assume the spark is still strong? Weak spark can be a pain in the a***...however you did say you had wet spark plugs...may have flooded the chambers with fuel, pull the plugs out and let the fuel evaporate. Put them back in and see how it goes. Also get a screw driver and put the tip against the injector while someone is turning the engine. Check that it is making clicking noises...if they are all making noise, they are opening/closing correctly.

Not sounding rude, but did you put the fuel filter in the right way? Could be the little things that f**k things up.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the response, possible flooding did occur to me so i pulled all six plugs and thought whilst i was at it ill check all six plugs. first five gave a good spark and the sixth gave nothing so i thought that may be it but just to check i tried the others again, no spark. It appears ive lost all spark, now im really confused and very very frustrated. even used the old srewdriver in a lead to try for a spark, still nothing grrrrr

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

damonsw wrote:
Thanks for the response, possible flooding did occur to me so i pulled all six plugs and thought whilst i was at it ill check all six plugs. first five gave a good spark and the sixth gave nothing so i thought that may be it but just to check i tried the others again, no spark. It appears ive lost all spark, now im really confused and very very frustrated. even used the old srewdriver in a lead to try for a spark, still nothing grrrrr

Coil may be dead or TFI module on the side of the distributor has carked it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I tell ya i must have had rocks in my head when i was young and said "i think ill do all my own car maintenance". As it turns out, the coil i replaced yesterday karked it so put the origonal one back in and i have spark again. so im back to square one, got fuel, got spark but no go. Wish i was rich so i could tell some mechanic to "fix it and dont bring it back till its done" but as im a poor old average aussie i cant do that. ill perservere, either ill solve the problem or ill burn the car, whichever comes first. cheers

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Prolem Solved!!!!!

Hi and thanks to all that gave advice, its really appreciated.
The problem was that the teeth on the distributor cam was completly destroyed on one side. when i origionaly pulled the distributor out and felt in the hole i could feel the teeth on the good side of the cam, thus thinking it was ok but this morning when i did the same thing i could feel the teeth missing on the bad side of the cam. After many hours dismantling the front of the motor to remove the cam, i found that the teeth was completly missing on about a third of the cam gear. So problem solved, i will get another cam on monday and spend many hours re-assembling the motor and im sure it will fire up straight away.

Cheers to all and hope this helps someone else with a simular problem.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]