Fordmods Logo

Need to replace an XG motor - what motors are compatible? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Need to replace an XG motor - what motors are compatible?
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL

SA, Australia

Hi,
Im new to Fordmods, and hope Im in the right area.
We need to replace the motor in an XG panelvan and want to be sure before we buy the motor that we are getting the right one.
Some people have said that the EF/EL motor will go in but needs different pulleys and different manifold, while others have said that it needs to be an EA/EB motor.
Can anyone out there please clear this up for us?
The air conditioning has never worked, so we are not fussed about having that going if it matters, as we were told by yet another person that you have to get a specific motor to have air con.
As you can see, we have alot of random information and none of it solid, we would really appreciate some help with this, as I have heard that Fordmods is home to a number of knowledgeable people :)
Thanks for your time. :)

Post subject: Re: Need to replace an XG motor - what motors are compatible?
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:59 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Antic wrote:
Hi,
Im new to Fordmods, and hope Im in the right area.
We need to replace the motor in an XG panelvan and want to be sure before we buy the motor that we are getting the right one.
Some people have said that the EF/EL motor will go in but needs different pulleys and different manifold, while others have said that it needs to be an EA/EB motor.
Can anyone out there please clear this up for us?
The air conditioning has never worked, so we are not fussed about having that going if it matters, as we were told by yet another person that you have to get a specific motor to have air con.
As you can see, we have alot of random information and none of it solid, we would really appreciate some help with this, as I have heard that Fordmods is home to a number of knowledgeable people :)
Thanks for your time. :)

EA EB and ED motor will drop straight in the hole, no mods. EF EL will wit, but you will need to either have the setup suitable for running a BBM OR swap out the intake manifold to your existing log, remove the serpentine setup and run your existing belt setup. Finding an EA to ED motor might prove a pain though. Whats actually wrong with yours? would a simple strip and rebuild suffice or is it cactus?

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

whoever told you that about the aircon is talking out there a*** once new motor is in aircon should all be sweet

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Since when was a ea or ed motor hard to find? There must be bagiilzionmilliongillion of them!

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

id do the mods and fit a au motor imo they are a much better engine then ea-ed

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL

SA, Australia

Heyyy, thanks for your replies, that does clear things up for us.

Yeah, about the strip and rebuild, we are fixing it for a friend, who has cooked the motor (knew it was losing water and drove it anyway - duh) and warped and cracked the head and is pushing the pressure from the cylinders back through the radiator. The bloke needs it fixed ASAP and doesnt want to spend a fortune, so we are trying to help him out and wanted to be sure about the motor.

Thanks heaps again guys. :)

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Antic wrote:

Yeah, about the strip and rebuild, we are fixing it for a friend, who has cooked the motor (knew it was losing water and drove it anyway - duh) and warped and cracked the head and is pushing the pressure from the cylinders back through the radiator. The bloke needs it fixed ASAP and doesnt want to spend a fortune, so we are trying to help him out and wanted to be sure about the motor.

au motor lol the heads are better then e series

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:47 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Sefton wrote:
Since when was a ea or ed motor hard to find? There must be bagiilzionmilliongillion of them!

and they would all have about that many kays on em as well..

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Sefton wrote:

and they would all have about that many kays on em as well..

true this a fair few early e series engines have been around the block now like i said au motor lol

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:56 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
Antic wrote:

The head between E and A series is SFA difference, its the head GASKET. AU head gaskets are MLS jobs, these are the standard replacement for E series gaskets now, thus resolving the head gasket issues E series Coons did have. OK so AU had a slightly different cam and rocker profilfe over E series, you can drop an AU motor in, but you will have to either mod the sump or knotch the frame to allow clearance.

Cheapest option to get this thing back on the road would be, source another e series head, get it serviced, use an AU gasket and throw it back together, you will not know until it is back together if the motor is an anchor or a runner. its a gamble either way, not much of one but still. Finding a genuine good early E series motor is getting harder too. found this on fleabay though may be of interest.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
Antic wrote:

The head between E and A series is SFA difference, its the head GASKET. AU head gaskets are MLS jobs, these are the standard replacement for E series gaskets now, thus resolving the head gasket issues E series Coons did have. OK so AU had a slightly different cam and rocker profilfe over E series, you can drop an AU motor in, but you will have to either mod the sump or knotch the frame to allow clearance.

Cheapest option to get this thing back on the road would be, source another e series head, get it serviced, use an AU gasket and throw it back together, you will not know until it is back together if the motor is an anchor or a runner. its a gamble either way, not much of one but still. Finding a genuine good early E series motor is getting harder too. found this on fleabay though may be of interest.

i do apoloigise i thought the actual head was better i knew the gasket was better but i thought the head was better too and i knew about the sump diffrence also didnt they say the motor on this XG was cooked ? or did i read wrong?

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

get an ef/el motor with the alternator, air conditioning compressor, power steer etc so it has the serpentine belt setup change the inlet manifold to the old ea-ed style and chuck it in, or fit an au motor but it takes a little more stuffing around modding the sump to fit or if you can actually find an ed motor worth using than it will be a straight swap

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Last edited by bry40l on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:08 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
dc_todd wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
Antic wrote:

i do apoloigise i thought the actual head was better i knew the gasket was better but i thought the head was better too and i knew about the sump diffrence also didnt they say the motor on this XG was cooked ? or did i read wrong?

Yeah, they said the motor was cooked and was pressurising the cooling system, typical of gasket failure. the bottom en of these motors is pretty damn strong. Iron is pretty tolerant. I've seen alot of motors with similar symptoms, its usually a cracked head, corroded jackets or a head gasket let go. AU heads had a few revisions over E series, but not much. The main reasons an AU motor feels smoother than an E series, when in an AU is sequention injection over batch, lower profile cam and more counter balance on the crank. Girdles on the crank as well helping hold is square, a couple of small block revisions make the e series sump incompatable with the AU block.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i thought the xg xame with an eb motor? if not what motor is actually in a xg?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

wikipedia wrote:
The XG was essentially an update of the XF. It gained the EB II's 4.0L OHC inline six-cylinder engine, with either a five-speed manual or four-speed auto transmissions (floor or column shift), meaning Ford could retire the old engine and transmission options. It also gained interior updates from the EB including the instrument cluster, centre console (in two seater models), steering wheel, seats. Exterior changes were minimal, and included an EB-style grill, black window trims (as opposed to chrome on XF's) EB style door 'rubbing' strips, and indicator lights on the front quarter panels.

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]