Fordmods Logo

Never ending EA idle etc (updates) :) :) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Never ending EA idle etc (updates) :) :)
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ok so ive posted MANY threads on my EA?

well im finally out of hospital

me and my step father who is very mechanicly minded have been working on my EA

so far we have done the front brake rotors n pads , trans service , coolant etc

but we changed the distrbuitor in my EA , BRAND new item was used , new coil also bosh one we mounted it above the fuel rail on the engine lift hook , new plugs and leads

also a full radiator flush , we then ran diganistic today

first it came up with fault TFI module , so we re did the timming it was out by about 5C car ran better

then again we ran diagnostic and i think it was 41 which came up it was map sensor tested that or air leak and 02 sensor so i changed the O2 sensor which was the fault it then came up with no faults

car ran okish for 60 seconds , then we ran it again in diagnostic mode and it comes up with the idle speed controler. yet it has been changed to a brand new one about 9 months ago car barley gets driven so probably 2K km has been done on the idle speed controler

this car is giving me grief :( ive done so much to it when we did the coolant we even went to the extent of taking the radiator completly out to flush out ALL the contaminents and a new clutch fan just for good ridence now who goes to that extent in an EA tell me lol

Also injectors are pulsating i can hear them all but they have been rebuilt by a backyarder no test done butttttt were just from an LPG car at the pick a part wreckers

p.s now it runs rich also i think the O2 sensor read 2ohm or something when cold it was just a random one from the wreckers i had gotten 9 months ago i got a handfull so not to sure if to trust it or not

Post subject: Re: Never ending EA idle etc (updates) :) :)
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

What exactly is your idle issue, does it rev high, not idle at all, rev up and down? See how we go when we have this info. As for running rich, is the O2 sensor new or second hand?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

02 sensor was found on my back seat just a random wreckers one it had 8ohm of restianse when cold so i put it in

might need to buy a new sensor but what restianse should they be reading when warm i might test this one

then the air speed controler error came up and the car when ever i changed into gears e.g from Park to Reserse or Drive it would conk out

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

im also thinking of a stuck open pintle in the injector ive tried the test of taking one eletricial connector at a time to see if the car changes and yes it did

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

had 1/3 a tank so i added 20Litres in and no codes are coming up and it now runs quite well this is very strange

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Dude you gotte remember that just cos the car throws you a o2 sensor code dosnt mean its always the sensor, it throws a code when the sensor goes out of range aswell, caused by a number if things vaccume leaks, running lean/ rich, blown inlet manifold gasket, exhaust leak before the sensor giving it false readings. This goes for other sensors aswell.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:44 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
had 1/3 a tank so i added 20Litres in and no codes are coming up and it now runs quite well this is very strange

most of the idle issue could have been from stale fuel or contaminated fuel..
how long are you running the engine for? if it dont get up to temp it may constantly seem to run rich

also when you replace o2 sensor ect, best to clear the codes in the ecu memory by disconnecting the battery for a min or so....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]