Fordmods Logo

New Head Gasket!!! Hows this price? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

CLEANEB wrote:
Im a 2nd year apprentice mechanic working with my old man, he used to work at a Ford dealership for 15 years before he started his own business. Anyway If me and him get stuck into it we can remove and replace the falcon head gaskets in about 3 hours, give or take about an hour and a half to send it out to get machined. So if all you guys are gettin quotes for 6 hours labour id be telling them to stick it! Your better off doing it your selves if you have some good tools and reasonable knowhow! The falcon heads are suseptable to warping but its not often that they crack unless theyve been severely over heated.

South wrote:
I did mine about 3 months ago, the headgasket kit (AU Metal, including exhaust and intake) cost me $100 or so, the head cost me $120 to weld and machine, and new bolts were $40...

I replaced all hoses, had the injectors cleaned ($150) and used Toyota Coolant (red stuff, $80 4/L x2) and it was a piss easy job...

As you can see its pretty cheap in parts, its the labour that kills the cost.

What are you doing using that red toyota coolant??? Thats only for cars that require that type of coolant! I wouldnt be using it in my falcon thats for sure!!

so it takes 2 of you to do it 3 hours. last time i checked two lots of 3 hours labor is 6 hours

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon EBII

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
CLEANEB wrote:
Im a 2nd year apprentice mechanic working with my old man, he used to work at a Ford dealership for 15 years before he started his own business. Anyway If me and him get stuck into it we can remove and replace the falcon head gaskets in about 3 hours, give or take about an hour and a half to send it out to get machined. So if all you guys are gettin quotes for 6 hours labour id be telling them to stick it! Your better off doing it your selves if you have some good tools and reasonable knowhow! The falcon heads are suseptable to warping but its not often that they crack unless theyve been severely over heated.

South wrote:
I did mine about 3 months ago, the headgasket kit (AU Metal, including exhaust and intake) cost me $100 or so, the head cost me $120 to weld and machine, and new bolts were $40...

I replaced all hoses, had the injectors cleaned ($150) and used Toyota Coolant (red stuff, $80 4/L x2) and it was a piss easy job...

As you can see its pretty cheap in parts, its the labour that kills the cost.

What are you doing using that red toyota coolant??? Thats only for cars that require that type of coolant! I wouldnt be using it in my falcon thats for sure!!

so it takes 2 of you to do it 3 hours. last time i checked two lots of 3 hours labor is 6 hours

Im an apprentice man my hourly rate doesnt get charged to the customer. And who said you have to charge labour per person? its like getting 4 people to work on a car for 3 hours and charging the customer 12 hours labour!!

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

CLEANEB wrote:

Im an apprentice man my hourly rate doesnt get charged to the customer. And who said you have to charge labour per person? its like getting 4 people to work on a car for 3 hours and charging the customer 12 hours labour!!

don't need to talk to me about being an aprentice.. been there done that.

and any one who doesn't charge out the actual labor done is only ripping him self off.

if those 4 people take 3 hours to do a job that one person does in 12 hours it makes sence to charge out 12 hours.

because while that job was being done the other 3 people could have been working on other jobs.

it's like getting a machine to do a job you used to by hand. you might do it in half the time but you dont charge half as much. as you now have to cover the cost of the machine. you dont get it to do twice as much and make the same amount of money. you want to make twice the money too
other wise it's a waste of time getting the machine.

same thing for putting 2 people on a job that one person can do.
It might get done in half the time but you still need to charge the same amount. or you start to loose money.

the other thing is not every work shop has an aprentice, so one person works on it. ford quote 5 hours for the job. but that 5 hours does not include the extras that can come into play. like heater hoses that might need changing, injectors might need cleaning(labor to remove and take them to be cleaned) if HLAs are being replaced there is extra labor there as well.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

CLEANEB wrote:

Because it is the best coolant money can buy. It is suitable for all applications... You dont have to use it in your falcon, Im not telling you to, but for anyone doing a coolant change I would highly recommend it.

Ive used about 4 types of coolant in the last year (thanks you piece of s**t hoses) and none of them come close to the toyota stuff in terms of keeping a constant temperature, regardless of the conditions.

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

South wrote:
CLEANEB wrote:

Because it is the best coolant money can buy. It is suitable for all applications... You dont have to use it in your falcon, Im not telling you to, but for anyone doing a coolant change I would highly recommend it.

Ive used about 4 types of coolant in the last year (thanks you piece of s**t hoses) and none of them come close to the toyota stuff in terms of keeping a constant temperature, regardless of the conditions.

i'll back that up. i dont use it, but it is very good coolent

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au 2 forte

NSW, Australia

FLYRYD wrote:
i'd expect to pay about 700 for a head gasket. I wouldn't pay more. it's a common job, mechanics should be used to it by now lol!

on a side note, if your handy with a spanner do it yourself. I did my headgasket for a grand total of $23. That was cost on a gasket and some Hylomar to seal it a bit better. Reused the same bolts and manifold gaskets and just sanded down the block. Since then it had twin turbo's on it and didn't miss a beat :)

do you find it hard to type with one hand while the other one is on your C**k?? :lol:

firstly, the head bolts in the falcons are torque to yield and they stretch (you will have the incorrect torque settings)... not having the head machined is dodgy also, i doubt that an unmachined head would stand up to a twin turbo set up, as with the manifold gaskets...

:roll: no wonder some people are so misinformed when it comes to mechanics and how much / how long work takes to be completed.

out to the air port

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

FLYRYD wrote:
i'd expect to pay about 700 for a head gasket. I wouldn't pay more. it's a common job, mechanics should be used to it by now lol!

on a side note, if your handy with a spanner do it yourself. I did my headgasket for a grand total of $23. That was cost on a gasket and some Hylomar to seal it a bit better. Reused the same bolts and manifold gaskets and just sanded down the block. Since then it had twin turbo's on it and didn't miss a beat :)

do you find it hard to type with one hand while the other one is on your C**k?? :lol:

firstly, the head bolts in the falcons are torque to yield and they stretch (you will have the incorrect torque settings)... not having the head machined is dodgy also, i doubt that an unmachined head would stand up to a twin turbo set up, as with the manifold gaskets...

:roll: no wonder some people are so misinformed when it comes to mechanics and how much / how long work takes to be completed.

out to the air port

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

FLYRYD wrote:

out to the air port

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2