new here 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: new here
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:17 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi there all.
Gotta a small question for you. I have a Ef falcon, I was told i need a new centre muffler, but i would also like to get a sports exhaust. So i guess my question is would i be better off getting a new exhaust rather than waste money on a new muffler?
plus, what are the benifits (IE: fuel ecco, emisions ETC..) of a sports exhaust?

cheers pete

"if you think Jesus is famous.... you should try Ron Jermey"

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Welcome Dog Boy,

Here is a link that will give you all the basic info on what is needed for modifications for your I6.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66

Post subject: Re: new here
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

dog boy wrote:
Hi there all.
Gotta a small question for you. I have a Ef falcon, I was told i need a new centre muffler, but i would also like to get a sports exhaust. So i guess my question is would i be better off getting a new exhaust rather than waste money on a new muffler?
plus, what are the benifits (IE: fuel ecco, emisions ETC..) of a sports exhaust?

cheers pete

welcome aboard..

all depends on what sort of sports exhaust you get, everything that goes into a sports exhaust, all the different components achieve different things...

e.g.

extractors(aka headers) free up some of the engines exhaust pressure, so it doesnt have to work as hard pushing out gas, so that means more power to your acceleration etc, also makes your car more fuel economic,,

2.5" piping... easier flow of exhaust gasses, makes it slightly more economic, and a distinctive sound different from a 2.25"

high flow cat converter... better flow of gasses

centre muffler.... most of the sound dampening is done here, there are various types of mufflers that will achieve different distinctive sounds

rear muffler (aka resonator) further smooths and quietens the exhaust sounds, if you choose not to have one of these..your exhaust will sound louder and rougher, but may also make that annoying drone sound u hear from milo tin mufflers

essentially the ford motors, in standard form are very restrictive in air/exhaust flow...putting on a decent exhaust setup will make it less restrictive therefore make it perform slightly better, and make it more fuel economic..

me personally, my exhaust setup is:
Pacemaker 4480 Competition Series Extractors
Lukey 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust Pipe
Lukey High Flow Cat Converter
Lukey Straight Thru Muffler (Centre)
No Rear Muffler/Resonator

so it all comes down to what u hope to achieve out of your exhaust, as to what you should get...

i reckon rip the lot out..and get everything new from extractors thru to a nice stainless steel exhaust tip, it'll make it sound better, perform better, better fuel economy....the only two losers will be your neighbours when u tear in at 3am, and the environment from extra emissions...but the planets f**k anyway.

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

Definately go the "cat back" system.

My system is Pacemaker PH4480 Comp series extractors, and a Berklee 2.5" mandral bent cat back system, with one muffler and no resonator. (and a HUGE stage 3 cam ;) )

The car sounds great!

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

cheers.
thanks for the speedy replies. say i was to go the cheaper option and only have the exhaust system replaced, complete with muffler and resonator. striaght 2.5" roughly how much would i be looking at.
Just go the Chrissy bonus and its already eating a hole in the pocket.

"if you think Jesus is famous.... you should try Ron Jermey"

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I paid $300 for my cat back berklee system fitted. And I'm in the regional area!

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]