Fordmods Logo

NF Fairlane rough on Fuel, great on LPG. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: NF Fairlane rough on Fuel, great on LPG.
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I have just checked the fuel rail pressure and looked good. Just over 40psi and a little higher as she was trying to die. Car has a new pump and filter. Switched to LPG and it runs well across the range. Checked for codes and got 214 (CMP sensor input faded?)and 227 (Its aftermarket LPG so 227 was expected). If the car is running well on LPG, doesn't this indicate that ECU and majority of sensors are working well? What sensors are not used with LPG?

On Fuel, the car idles rough, lacks power and jerks during low/mild acceleration. Can get it going if you accelerate hard. I have also replaced the caps in the ECU as they tested bad on my ESR meter.

I did the fuel pressure checks from the boot as the fuel rail in the engine bay is hard to get too. Put a tee in the pump output line and checked it whilst car running. Car maintained pressure at approx 40psi after I turned it off for some time so I guess the pressure regulator is good.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane rough on Fuel, great on LPG.
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Went for a spin this evening with car switched to petrol. Had no power at all driving at 60kmph but idled well when I got to the river. Left it idling for 3 mins whilst picking up kids and returned home. Car ran like normal all the way home (1.2kms). Did notice it smelt rich at the river when idling.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

WHAT IS CODE 227

CMP HAS SOME RElation to injector timing I beleive..

maybe faulty injector

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:52 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Code 227 for EF/NF is Knock Sensor failure. I have read on this site that some non factory LPG conversions will display this code so I wasn't worried about it. I'm thinking it could be a sick injector as well. Put my finger on the injectors this morning whilst the car was running on petrol and noticed some have a more noticeable tick which I could feel. Number 1 and 2 had a soft tick but number 3 was very pronounced when it fired.

Another thing I have noticed is that in the 3 months the car has been playing up on petrol, it will generally run well first thing in the morning when all is cold. I get about 1km down the road at 100kph and she starts to hesitate. I know the car has a richer mixture when first started. Would this richer mixture mask blocked fuel injectors?

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: only ford

NSW, Australia

when my el had dirty injectors it would miss only when it was cold and accelerating and would work fine once warmed up, i think because when its cold the engine needs more fuel and dirty injectors cant supply it at higher revs. i guess what im saying is if you had injector trouble you would know about it when the engine is cold that is when the injectors work the hardest. code 214 for an ef 4L(is this the same as your engine) is cam angle sensor, and 227 is like you said knock sensor circuit according to gregorys.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:44 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the reply nonamesleft2use. Code 214 is what I believe is the synchroniser (sits in place of the dizzy on EF/NF edis systems). I think it is related to cam angle but the max ellery is a bit vague.

Does anyone know if there is a sensor that the petrol uses that perhapes the LPG doesn't? Just trying to narrow down the possible causes. Runs well on LPG so 90% of the system is good.

Wouldn't mind only running LPG but in the country LPG fills can be few and far between. Dual fuel is almost a must.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: only ford

NSW, Australia

thats right the cam angle sensor or synchroniser as you called it sits where the dizzy goes on the preceding models. the knock sensor is under intake #4 just above the coil pack. remember an error code only picks up a fault in the circuit it doesnt necessarily mean the sensor is buggered. Have you checked the connections and wires on the knock sensor and cam angle sensor.
I wonder if your engine has detonation issues once warm that dont bother it on a less volatile fuel such as lpg, i would guess that the cam angle sensor or synchroniser isnt the culprit because its firing alright on lpg which is the harder fuel to burn.
i found this thread but i dont know if you should try it:-
Quote:
If you want to see if the knock sensor is working, give the engine a knock with a hammer while it is running at over 1600rpm , it is supposed to lower the rpm if its working. Don,t use a sledge hammer on the rocker cover just tap somewhere on the block or head
I wonder if this works? otherwise you could follow the test procedure for knock sensor with a multimeter, some food for thought good luck

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Don't know if I want to hit the engine with a hammer as space is limited and if I miss the spot I'm aiming for? I'll check the wiring out using my meter when time permits. I just ordered 6 genuine ford injectors new for $198 delivered. Rang Bursons and they quoted $199 exchange. It wasn't a tough decision. I'll replace the injectors and go from there.

I have to agree that its unlikely the synchroniser or knock sensor are stuffed because of the LPG performance.

Thanks for the reply.

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane rough on Fuel, great on LPG. Solved
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Just an update. replaced the injectors on Saturday and all is well. Car runs and idles well on petrol and lpg. Easy job. Just make sure engine is completely cold. Remove air intake ducting from throttle body to allow better access to injector 4, 5 and 6. Undo each electrical connector, undo 4 x 10mm bolts holding rail on and pull rail towards you. Undo each injector retaining clip and push each injector into manifold hole. Then just tilt injector sideways and release. You will lose some fuel but this will stop after 60 secs or so. Clean each manifold hole with a clean rag. I found a very small amount of grease on the o-ring that goes into the rail made life easy. Fit each injector to the rail. Fit injector retaining clips and push the entire rail/injectors into the inlet manifold. Push your dipstick tube back in and fit the 4 x 10mm bolts. Fit your electrical connectors and your air intake tubing and your ready to start. Check for leaks and road test car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]