Fordmods Logo

NL Fairlane 4ltr intermittent missing when cold 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: NL Fairlane 4ltr intermittent missing when cold
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford NL Fairlane

SA, Australia

my Nl Fairlane has developed a miss when cold, it clears up after 10 mins of running, have replaced map sensor and leads, leaving distributor till last, needing to know what else i can change that might be an easy fix, dont like driving it like this but i dont have a choice, any help much appreciated

Post subject: Re: NL Fairlane 4ltr intermittent missing when cold
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef fairmont falcon

NSW, Australia

A EF/EL 4.0litre 6cyl miss can be a few common things -

on the ignition side - coil pack, leads, plugs or coil drivers inside the ecu are burnt out or maybe a wiring loom fault or sensors

on the air/fuel side - a common problem is inlet manifold gasket dried out and cracked allowing unmetered air into inlet manifold, a faulty idle speed motor which usually causes high idle revs, also a blocked fuel pressure regulator (it has a small gauze filter which over time becomes blocked) causing high fuel pressure and therefore over enrichment and as a result rough idle.

they are some points with which to start

Post subject: Re: NL Fairlane 4ltr intermittent missing when cold
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef fairmont falcon

NSW, Australia

also meant to mention check for vacuum air leaks on cracked hoses, pipes. best way ive found to check for vacuum leaks is to use water out of a spray bottle using plenty of volume of water to try to "choke' the engine with sucking in the water at the point of the vacuum leak and the engine will miss and rough idle.

of course you need to be careful because you can induce electrical faults if you splash water over poorly insulated/waterproof electrical circuitry and components

ive tried using high grade solvents (such as a can of Start Ya Bastard) as a fuel to get a engine to "idle up' when a leak is detected but i have found it to be more accurate and quicker using water to introduce a rough idle once the vacuum leak is found.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]