nl fairlane air con problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: nl fairlane air con problem
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi there.

I had purchased a 97 fairlane few months ago
and recently I had the ac re-gassed as I thought it was low.

The previous owner had a new compressor and receiver/dryer fitted not to long ago.

The initial regas didn't make much difference even though the mechanic said the gas was low.
I sought a second opinion and the next mechanic said the tx valve needed replacing because it was leaking and a high fan relay mod was required as apparently it was a common issue on these cars.

He also wanted to replace the receiver/dryer and regas for the sum of $650 so I passed and got onto the first mechanic who came out and replaced the seals in the tx valve and re-gassed again because the gas had emptied completely.

The ac doesn't get very cold more a light coolish temp even at 16 degrees and I have done both climate control tests with no errors present,could it be that the condenser behind the dash needs replacing?

Thanks in advance..

Post subject: Re: nl fairlane air con problem
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Normally, the existing gas should be recovered, and they should tell you what that is, as a comparison as to what was put in.
The system is evacuated, and left for a while to see if it holds vacuum.

It 's pointless if it fails this to bother to regas.

aristopwr wrote:
the tx valve needed replacing because it was leaking and a high fan relay mod was required as apparently it was a common issue on these cars.
Never heard about this fan mod.
Were you shown where the TX valve was leaking from ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the reply.
When the second regas was required we found the system completely drained of gas as it had leaked from the top connection on the tx valve. It was very oily which the ac mechanic indicated that both orings had determined. I now think the evaporator behind the dash may need replacing. As for the fan relay mod, apparently it is to force the high speed fan to run whenever the ac is engaged.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:24 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

There's no mod required - engine thermo fans and heaterbox fans run fine normally with the factory setup.
How'd you decide the Evaporator is leaking ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just from speaking to others and a bit of Google. We have discovered that the circ/fresh flap rod is broken and currently in the fresh position. I understand that this would have an impact on the in cabin temp but not to the extent I am experiencing. I may take it to red devil or something and see what they say. Without looking at the system I understand it can be hard to diagnose.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:13 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Sometimes the blend door flap can break from the blend motor and not adjust air temps properly. No error will come up. Most cases with anything ac related in the car means dash out job to get to the heater box.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks 93EB
It has been suggested to place a self tapping screw into the flap to keep it in the recirc position or as you mentioned, remove the dash.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Recirc flaps do break in these cars quite frequently - particularly when age is factored in.
Blend doors can too, and you might be able to hear them flap about when braking.

snap0964 wrote:
How'd you decide the Evaporator is leaking ??

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

aristopwr wrote:
Hi there.
"The initial regas didn't make much difference even though the mechanic said the gas was low.
I sought a second opinion and the next mechanic said the tx valve needed replacing because it was leaking and a high fan relay mod was required as apparently it was a common issue on these cars.

He also wanted to replace the receiver/dryer and regas for the sum of $650 so I passed and got onto the first mechanic who came out and replaced the seals in the tx valve and re-gassed again because the gas had emptied completely."

I have a friend of mine who services car airconditioning and he advised me last year that as well as replacing receiver/dryer the condenser should also be replaced from time to time as it looses it's efficiency over the years.
EF/EL falcons are now 20 years old so things will wear out and will need to be replaced.

The cheapest option is not always the best ... sometimes a bit of extra money needs to be spent to get things working properly and efficiently again.

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Quote:
EF/EL falcons are now 20 years old so things will wear out and will need to be replaced.

The cheapest option is not always the best ... sometimes a bit of extra money needs to be spent to get things working properly and efficiently again.

I agree 100% with you.

The compressor and receiver dryer had been replaced earlier this year by previous owner but perhaps the condenser may need looking at also. I am trying to find an a/c mechanic who can give me a straight answer. It helps that I now know that the a/c system is a closed loop system so running out or low on gas indicates a problem not simply a need to re-gas.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:40 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

while running feel tx valve should be cold -was dye added to system ?was system checked for vacuum loss before being gassed - does the mechanic have warranty on his work ? or did you tell him what you wanted done?

screw vent if your not replacing broken vent flap to hold in recycle position - have you checked heater tap operates - note that tap may move on the outside but be faulty internally-

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]