Fordmods Logo

NL Fairlane aux shaft bearing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: NL Fairlane aux shaft bearing
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Long story short, I had my car looked at because it was running TERRIBLY (s**t idle, almost no power, one minute+ to 110km/h, hard starting, 20L+ per 100km, etc.) and found that my cam timing was out by NINETY degrees and the aux shaft bearing is rooted, so the chain is loose. The guy said he was absolutely astonished the thing was still running. We reset the cam timing and ignition timing, and it runs a hell of a lot better, but still fairly bad.

How likely is replacing the aux shaft going to fix my problem and could there be any major damage from this? I need to use the car every day for work, so leaving it until it's fixed is not an option. The engine still feels responsive and tight until its more or less nonexistent powerband runs out (around 3.5k rpm), doesn't burn oil or coolant, no milky dipstick, no leaks, etc. It's, otherwise, a pretty perfect car. New dizzy, TFI, leads, coil, plugs, fuel filter, pump, all that, so I know exactly what the issue is.

Cheers.

EDIT: THE CAR HAS THE 96DA HYBRID IN IT.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Post subject: Re: NL Fairlane aux shaft bearing
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

There is no Aux Shaft bearing. They use the machined face of th block metal with oil flow. You can get the block machined and then sleeved.

Better off getting a new block as you would ned to strip yours right down to get it done anyway.

Post subject: Re: NL Fairlane aux shaft bearing
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Thanks man. Talked it over with a mate and figured it'd be a better idea (and cheaper) to recondition the block he has and put my head on it.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]