Fordmods Logo

NL FAIRLANE RACE CAR NO SPARK 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: NL FAIRLANE RACE CAR NO SPARK
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Ive recently started to get back at the NL fairlane i gutted the wiring about 2 years ago. i cant remember what i got rid of ect so i ended up installing a smart lock bypass module and have made sure it is working correctly. i have also replaced the coil and TFI. i am not getting any spark. have plugged in a T2100TFI to test it but the PIP and SPOUT light flash when cranking. (unsure what that means as i borrowed it from someone who didnt know how to use it)
yes the rotor button spins

long story short i cant get spark and dont know what to try next.
are there any sensors or features that will stop spark being created?

Post subject: Re: NL FAIRLANE RACE CAR NO SPARK
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

pip and spout are the signals from distributor to the pcm and back again to tell pcm where distributor is up to and for the pcm to tell the distributor when to fire (controls the ignition timing)

check you have power on the red wire at coil when you are cranking if not check ignition switch (or run a hot wire to positive battery)

check for power at the injectors as you crank if not check ECU relay operation(brown relay under coolant bottle ...green relay is fuel pump) this also feeds power to distributor...

put a test light (not LED test light) across both the red wire and the pink/blue wire of the coil and crank it should pulse as you crank if not check pink/blue for circuit back to distributor (refer wiring diagrams in this forum )this wire should pulse but won't if there is a short to earth or earth to tfi module is faulty(check earth wire(orange) and tfi screws) or possibly still faulty tfi module or pick up in distributor)......

if you are getting a pulse check coil lead for spark before distributor cap and check for carbon brush inside distributor cap

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

9.3v cranking at red wire on coil
12v key on 9.3v cranking at injectors
I put the test light over the red and pink/blue wire at the coil and it doesn't pulse while cranking.
Checked the pink/blue for short and it seems fine.
Earth to tfi? Unsure what you mean, all the screws are good and earths to body.
I have no idea where to look now to gain the pulse at the coil

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

battery voltage is slightly low -charge battery or jump

earth is orange wire at tfi, comes from pcm should not however stop spark as long as screws are tight at distributor module - possible faulty pick up in distributor

disconnect distributor plug and coil plug connect test light between battery positive and pink/blue ,should NOT be ON unless you have a short in this wire or something has been connected across this circuit (after market tacho etc.)

do you have a second distributor ?(wreckers ?) if so plug in to distributor connector turn key on and spin by hand while testing for spark or pulse

Note: (be aware not to do this to often with out disconnecting injectors as it will fire injectors if you are getting a pulse)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]