Fordmods Logo

no rear brakes on NF 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: no rear brakes on NF
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Hey all .. I have a nf fairlane, and having a **** load of dramas with the braking system.
Ok heres whats happening, my brake pedal is spongy as hell, and i noticed yesterday that the abs wasnt kicking in as my foot was slowly moving to the floor.

Now i changed the front pads and changed the brake fluid to have the same result. i have NO back brakes, I have fluid going to them, but once again when my foot is on the brake pedal, my brake pedal slowly mves to the floor , (i still have brakes) but now that abs is kicking in, but only on the fronts .. The wheels spin easy as hell, and hand brake (i know it has nothing to do with it ) has never worked .. Any ideas?? i was thinking the master, only because once my foot is on the brake, it slowly moves to the floor ??????

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Post subject: Re: no rear brakes on NF
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Snds like the master cylinder. System is a split system and sounds like there is a leak in the rear section of the master cylinder or somewhere else is the rear.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:39 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Adjust your handbrake.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I have checked the lines are there is no leak, however, i was thinking it was a master problem, but could it by chance be an abs unit. the abs light isnt coming on, but i was throwing it out there as anything is possible :S

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:48 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I would doubt its an ABS issue, they would still work, EB had no ABS on the rear.

its either a split line or a seal somewhere. Again, check your master cylinder.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

nah this is in a NF .. not eb, lol .. its jsut doing my head in .. But on further inspection, ive noticed a leak from in between the booster and master, but i was bleeding the brakes yesterday, so sometime today before i drive the sucker im gonna do the master, just to make sure .. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you have a leak between the master cylinder and the booster then it sounds like you have a seal leak on the master cylinder. Replace it or put a kit through it and then bleed your brakes. There will be no ABS fault. That will not effect your brakes working only the ABS function.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you have a leak between the master cylinder and the booster then it sounds like you have a seal leak on the master cylinder. Replace it or put a kit through it and then bleed your brakes. There will be no ABS fault. That will not effect your brakes working only the ABS function.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok i was just thinking .. Rear calipers, Could they be fagged out ??
Oh, and the leak, was spillage from yesterday, so back to no leak, Im just about to pull the master pff and replace it, but just before i did, i was thinking that, because yesterday when i did my front pads, the left hand caliper would go back in, until i undid the supply pipe and pushed it back, then locked it off once the piston was back, i personally still think master, but if it sounds like sounds like something i dont want to have to do all that work to find out it was them .. ??

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

you just said the master cylinder is leaking. replace it. bleed the brakes. fixed

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

read above comment, its NOT leaking.. it was spillage from yesterday, bleeding the brakes lol

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Front brakes are on a seperate loop from the rears. You need to check the rear brake circuit. Still think it sounds like your master cylinder.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

it appears i have fixed the problem. Or tho i am still eyeing off the ABS unit, The braes are better as i have rear brakes and front brakes, however, he front brakes are NOT compressing against the rotors evenly, I changed the caliper on one side and REGRET IT, It got stuk on and well u can imagine the look of my rotor after that, i changed it again and brakes are better but it is still not compressing evenly, :( anu ideas, i believe once i fix that it i will have great brakes, just then have to fix the abs kicking in way to early, :(

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Keep us posted on how its going, did you change the m/c?

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Will do mate .. Yeah i did, Or tho i was getting fluid to the back brakes, there wasnt enough pressure, so i take it my brakes are just stubborn .. lol .. But i have been doing searches and it appears my ABS is playing up and activating early because the front pads arent flat against the rotor they are off on an angle :S

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next