Fordmods Logo

Noise from rear wheel 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Noise from rear wheel
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi, just bought an el falcon with a scraping type of noise that sounds like it's coming from the left rear wheel. The noise is louder when accelerating. It doesn't disappear when I lift off but it immediately diminishes significantly. It doesn't even seem to increase much with speed. At highway speed it's barely noticeable.

I've had the rotor off and axle out and looked at the bearings and they seem ok. No metal shavings anywhere to be seen and all the bearings seemed able to turn. I coated it all in grease and put it back together but no difference. Axle seems straight and splines seem ok too.

I also suspected the handbrake but I removed that and went for a drive. No difference. The backing guard doesn't seem to be rubbing anywhere but I pushed it away just to be sure. There's no trapped rocks or anything that I can see either.

It really sounds like something is scraping on the rotor but I've had the pads out a couple of times and they seem to be ok anyway. Thinking about taking the caliper out and maybe just tying it to the suspension or something and going for a careful drive to see if noise it still present. Or maybe just take the pads out and do the same. Is this a real bad idea?

Could it be the bearings after all, even though they seem fine? perhaps they don't work so well under load - which might be why the noise is much louder under acceleration?

I also put the spare wheel on just to eliminate a deformed wheel but no change.

EDIT: drove without pads in and yes, it was a bad idea, lol. Brake fluid everywhere and caliper seal ruined. Was on the way out anyway so just ordered a used caliper from ebay for $35 delivered so no real harm done.

Post subject: Re: Noise from rear wheel
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Try putting a spacer in each of the rear brake calipers (like a bit of treated pine or MDF). Then tie the calipers to the chassis with wire. Drive a short distance slowly with the windows down and listen for the noise.

I'd do this early on a Saturday or Sunday morning before any traffic is on the road (6am ?) The noise could also be coming from the unis on the tailshaft.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks Shortshift. But I already drove it and ruined the calliper seal. Live and learn I suppose. The dust seal was rotten already. Anyway, another one is on the way and I've now got the axle out and am currently hacking into the collar thing to get the bearings off as I'd already bought a bearing kit. When the new calliper arrives I will do as you suggested. I'm even less confident now that there was anything wrong with the bearings.

Can uni joints be greased or anything from without being taken apart, even if it's only a temporary fix? At least then I will know where the problem is. Just had a quick look in my Ellery's manual and replacing them seems beyond my capabilities.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
or try the car up on stands...

Mmmm...never thought of that...bugger.

Would there be a problem with putting it on stands and "driving" it now that I have one axle out? If it still makes the noise I will have eliminated the left side brake assembly I suppose. (Left bearings too, though I'm replacing them anyway.)

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Where do people get these idea's?... who the fck would think to drive the car with no pads in the calipers. first thing its gonna do is push the piston into the spinning rotor... common sense? Like.. hello?..

Especially someone that already has the common sense to be able to pull the axle out..

driving it on axle stands with the axle out is just gonna piss oil everywhere, plus whatever other damage caused..

Sorry.. been a long week.. but really?.. lol..

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

yeah, fair enough really. Should have investigated how a calliper piston is secured but I was just getting so frustrated with that bloody noise.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well the calliper is back together and I changed the axle bearings but noise remains. On the plus side I now have an angle grinder and a shiny piece of pipe...

Do uni joints spin when not pressing the accelerator?

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Nathaan wrote:
Do uni joints spin when not pressing the accelerator?

what do you mean?? was the car on stands?

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

No I mean when rolling on the road. I'm not even sure what they are yet but I assume they must. Would putting the car in neutral while rolling stop them spinning?

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ah, ok thanks.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I'd swear the noise is coming from the wheel but the bit about it being much louder under acceleration has me fearing otherwise, now that the axle bearings have been replaced.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Couple of possibles, if you haven't already ruled them out:

- Seized caliper. The new one you have ordered should eliminate that possibility.

- Couldn't see what kind of vehicle you have. If it's a wagon or ute with lowering blocks, the lower shock and/or mount can scrape the inside of the wheel.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next