Fordmods Logo

noobie question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: noobie question
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef falcon

NSW, Australia

my ef falcon seems to be running a bit hot not overheating hot but wen i turn it off it begins to overheat and coolant spills out the overflow very quickly this happens every time i turn the car off, i replaced the radiator cap and it seemed to stop it for a week or 2 but its happening again with a brand new radiator cap, my friend thinks its the head but ive checked for oil in my water and water in my oil and there doesnt seem to be any i think maybe there is a problem with my fans or if anyone has other ideas i would greatly appreciate it

i dont know much about cars just basic to save myself money because i cant really afford to go to a mechanic.

theres also a slight oil leak which is the reason my friend believed it was the head not sure if that information will help

Post subject: Re: noobie question
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

hows your radiator?, might be good idea to give it a flush

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef falcon

NSW, Australia

how do i flush my radiator just remove it and hose it out or ? sorry for being a pain in the back side but like i said dont no much about cars and im tryin to learn as much as i can from people in the forum

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Ford Falcon EA

VIC, Australia

take the radiator out, you can just flush it with household dishwashing liquid, but make sure you continuously flush it until bubbles stop coming out.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

sounds like your having the same issue im having in my xr6
yeah the easy thing to is buy some rad flush, drop the fluid,fill with just water add rad flush let idle/take for short drive come back drop fluid again rinse out rad with clean water
refill with fresh rad fluid

oh and propilly put a new thermastat in only for only a few extra bucks
the whole thing should set ya back about 40-50 bucks

doing this you wont have to remove the rad just undo a few clamps

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

EA-SPAC-88 wrote:
take the radiator out, you can just flush it with household dishwashing liquid, but make sure you continuously flush it until bubbles stop coming out.

do this and as said, change your thermo and check you hoses while your at it..

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR8

SA, Australia

ranga_ef wrote:
my ef falcon seems to be running a bit hot not overheating hot but wen i turn it off it begins to overheat and coolant spills out the overflow very quickly this happens every time i turn the car off, i replaced the radiator cap and it seemed to stop it for a week or 2 but its happening again with a brand new radiator cap, my friend thinks its the head but ive checked for oil in my water and water in my oil and there doesnt seem to be any i think maybe there is a problem with my fans or if anyone has other ideas i would greatly appreciate it

i dont know much about cars just basic to save myself money because i cant really afford to go to a mechanic.

theres also a slight oil leak which is the reason my friend believed it was the head not sure if that information will help

your best bet mate is just go straight for a new radiator, if its been happening for a while theres a good chance you've presurised your radiator cos its blocked. i had the same problem and mine was 70% blocked, probably waisting your time flushing it. BUT before you install the new radiator flush your block really well to prevent another block up

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:20 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

jimmyp69 wrote:
ranga_ef wrote:

your best bet mate is just go straight for a new radiator, if its been happening for a while theres a good chance you've presurised your radiator cos its blocked. i had the same problem and mine was 70% blocked, probably waisting your time flushing it. BUT before you install the new radiator flush your block really well to prevent another block up

agreed, just bite the bullet and get a new radiator mate

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

And thermostat. Give the whole system a good flush

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef ford falcon futura

QLD, Australia

got a question , could someon put a pic up of an engine bay and where the thermo is ??? I wouldnt have a clue about where it is , and my thermo needle in the cluster dont work ...so gonna replace it

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

I wonder if maybe there's a fan issue here too... do your fans run at all when the car's hot? You mentioned in your first post you suspected the fans, might be worth a look... oh, and if you want to do a quick flush, take the top hose off and jam a garden hose down it wrapped with a rag to stop most of the overflow, you'll then see the dirty water coming out the radiator where you removed the hose from - keep going till it runs clear, then refill with coolant.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]