Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: ....not sure if this is a problem
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hello everyone. well ever since i got my EL some people have been saying its pretty damn loud (note: stock exhaust with maybe a small hole). Now its not the exhaust noise that people say are loud. It's the actual engine. Compared to my EA the thing is quiet but when i compared it to an EF/EL damn my car seems to have loose bearings or something and its damn loud. It seems like some pulleys or something are loose and are making lots of random noise. I can hear ticking noises which are the injectors but not too loud. sometimes lifters go tick but after a whilel they disapear. It's like fan noise, plus bearings and something else that make the car sound loud overall. Could pulleys cause a lot of noise? do the thermo fans make a lot of noise?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

thermos make a fair bit of noise.. while its running have a look at the thermos and see if their both going

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

the ef and el thermos dont make nearly as much racket as an au - ba set of fans make. i just replaced my idler pulleys on the ef, the bearings were just about stuffed. That did make the car a fair bit quieter too. Oh phong, stick the air con on max and the fan itself on max and get out and have a look outside the car, the thermofans should both be on at full speed there, see if thats whats making the noise. doubt it tho, mines done 333,300 kays now and the fans are still pretty quiet except when on flat stick.

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

samftr wrote:
the ef and el thermos dont make nearly as much racket as an au - ba set of fans make. i just replaced my idler pulleys on the ef, the bearings were just about stuffed. That did make the car a fair bit quieter too. Oh phong, stick the air con on max and the fan itself on max and get out and have a look outside the car, the thermofans should both be on at full speed there, see if thats whats making the noise. doubt it tho, mines done 333,300 kays now and the fans are still pretty quiet except when on flat stick.

cheers ill give that a shot. but i doubt its the fans as well. i might actually get the pulleys replaced and if the belt needs replacing i might as well do that. cheers

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

what sort of noise is your montage doing? not the auto box or diff making racket is it?

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6T

WA, Australia

my engine was heaps loud at one point
took to ford n had the belt and every single one of the pulleys aswell as all the pumps.
doesnt make any noise now :P

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!
No mods, anyone want a xr6t ?

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:59 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF OPT20

SA, Australia

Pull the belt off and start it up (wont hurt for a minute or so of running). That will tell you if the noise is external (pulleys, etc) or internal.
If it's internal then start with the timing chain and guides.

'94 EF GLI
Dash Mat
Color-coded Ashtray
Polished Wheel Nuts

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'm having the same issues.. I'm going to start with changing the pulleys.. looking for aftermarket alternatives atm

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Shum's EL wrote:
thermos make a fair bit of noise.. while its running have a look at the thermos and see if their both going

I thought the EF thermos are actually very quiet. Compared to the clutch fan on EBII, or Commodore thermos there silent!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Shum's EL wrote:

I thought the EF thermos are actually very quiet. Compared to the clutch fan on EBII, or Commodore thermos there silent!!!

did you say clutch fan or wind tunnell!! :lol:

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:06 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

repco part # ep011 & ep010 are the pulleys for the tensioner and if needed they also have the tensioners from gates and they come with pulleys

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Bear in mind if you're replacing the tensioner assy, to get specifically an EF/EL one, as the XH one is different, and the EF/EL belt will be near impossible to get back on.
Holbrookau wrote:
Pull the belt off and start it up (wont hurt for a minute or so of running). That will tell you if the noise is external (pulleys, etc) or internal. If it's internal then start with the timing chain and guides.
This is what I'd recommend, along with unplugging the thermos while they're running to check them.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:31 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

sorry i didn't get back to you fellas but after taking it to the mechanic a while back they replaced the rocker gasket (never had the time to do it) and also changed my timing. It's not as loud as it was so I think that was the problem. Supposedly the rocker cover wasn't on properly which made my car also run like s**t and drinking petrol a lot.

Might change the pulleys and belts as well though when i get the chance. Are the pulleys are to replace? All of them btw.

phong =P~

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]