Fordmods Logo

OH oh what have i done now.... (fixed) 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Okay this is what it tells you to do- (Straight from manual)

' Any time the battery is disconnected, the transmission must tre-learn the closed and wide-open throttle positions to enable the PCM to determin the proper gear to select for the appropriate throttle position. If the calibration is not perfromed following power source interuption, the transmission will shift hard and perform poorly.

calibration

2- drive the car to normal engine temp
3- verify that the idle is correct
4- set the closed throttle refereance position by placing the transmission in D, air con off, and let the engine idle for a minimum of 1 minute.
5- Next, set the wide-open throttle reference position by turning the engine off- but leave the ignition switch ON, then press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it for 1 mintue minimum.
6- Place the gear selector in Park and switch off the ignition. Drive the vehicle and check for prpper shifting patterns..

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

well thats the first time i've ever heard of anything remotley resembling that!

what repair manula have you got? it might be worth trying, but i've never had an issue before - and mine is reset every few weeks pretty much :?

blackjack - coolant temp sensor controlling the ISC? how does that work? AFAIK the ISC is a separate function which runs independantly - the ECU bumps up for the power steering & a/c, but thats it i believe...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

LOL i dont know mabe i should disconnect the battery again and start over lol. Hmm cant recall touching ne wires when i changed the globes, i may have but i would have no idea which ones they were lol. :?

Hmm god damn it why did i have to buy such a f**k advanced car for!!! next time im buying another XF! :shock:

BTW that was from a Haynes repair manual. Not a genuine ford repair manual. Dont think it would matter thou.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

if i were you, i'd disconnect the batter for ~30mins (resetting the ECU fully), reconnect, & reset your base idle. give it a good drive, and see how she runs.

the ISC may need a clean perhaps? maybe worth doing whilst the battery is disconnected - pretty simple process :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay will do, umm how do you reset the base idle :? I will try it now b4 it starts to rain again i think.

And how do you clean the ISC?

Thanks for everyones input too, much appreciated.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Also with the isc what exactly will i be looking at? Thanks

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

ok - ISC is on the top of the TB. will have 2 x 10mm bolts on either side bolting it on. will have a plug that you pull out for it.

disconnect the battery for 30mins

meanwhile, take the ISC off - it will have a paper gasket on it - try not to ruin it if ya can - and you'll see 2 holes - if its dirty, it'll be nice & black! use some carby clean etc & an old toothbrush or something to give it a good clean out. then dry it out - i just used a hairdryer :wink:

reconnect the ISC back up, but don't connect the plug. turn the car on with the plug disconnected (after more than 30mins for the ECU to reset). the car will most likely stall - you'll need to bump the base idle up (or down if its not stalling) until you reach a happy medium - so it idles quite smoothly, just above the point at where it stalls.

reconnect the plug, and put the car 'under load' - i.e. full lock on the wheel to both sides, turn the a/c on, run it through the gears etc (whilst its stationary) - that *should* be it from memory! :P

then take it for a spin! it'll take a little while to relearn correctly though - maybe 100-200kms, depending on the car...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm okay i will give it a go and see what happens. Might just drive the car to work tonight on petrol and start over fresh tommorrow :roll: I just think its a bit weird that the LPG has the erractic idle but on petrol it seems fine... :?

Damn cars. Also just another question, how do i adjust the base idle? When i put everything back together and im setting it all up, what do i have to do to get it to idle correctly? :?

Thanks

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
uglybob wrote:
blackjack - coolant temp sensor controlling the ISC? how does that work? AFAIK the ISC is a separate function which runs independantly - the ECU bumps up for the power steering & a/c, but thats it i believe...

But, when you swith your car on, if it's cold, it needs more to idle propperly, as opposed to when it's warm, so the coolant sensor tells the ecu how hot or cold the engine is, and the ecu in turn adjusts the isc so the car can idle smoothly at different temperatures.... I can't say for certain that this is how it is on the ef, it is what i have been told, but i can say that this is how it is on some other cars, including the xf.... and seems logical anyway.

You're both right.

The ECU looks at the coolant temp and adjusts ISC to suit... also opens ISC fully when you start, then closes based on coolant temp... ISC also used to control deceleration and adjusts idle for power steer, air con...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

there is a small screw - you'll see it when you look over @ the isc - the screw faces the drivers side of the engine bay :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay no worries and as for setting it, is it clockwise to increase base idle and anti -clockwise for the opposite effect :? or is it the other way round lol either way i will find out.

Thanks will let yous know how i go tommorrow, as its rainning so yeah cant do s**t atm :roll:

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:05 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

If it was running fine before disconnecting the battery, then it is highly unlikly that the ISC and throttle body clogged up and the base idle changed while the globes were being changed :shock:
So i would leave that part alone for the moment.

Most proably the auto ECU needs to relearn how to run well.
As already mentioned previously, there is a procedure to relearn the throttle settings and i would recomend doing that in petrol mode if the car does not run sweet on petrol.

What hasn't been mention is what type of LPG system you have.
If it is a factory ford (tickford) LPG, AFAIK, the ECU has petrol and gas maps for engine and auto in both economy and power modes. That is, its a specific LPG ECU with lots of maps :D

There is also an LPG self learn procedure that you can read here http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=18
The document is titled "Diagnostics of Tickford LPG System" and states that you don't need to relearn if only the battery has been disconnected.
However, relearning the LPG mode should not hurt if you follow the instruction and anyway will most likely be required if you have been tinkering with other things.

If you dont have factory LPG, then check to see that you haven't knocked any wires off the battery or blown any fuses associated with LPG.
If it is a bodgy install the electrics may be a little hard to work out :)
If you shorted the battery with a spanner (which i have done) then you may have blown some solenoid or some other component or fuse.

Good luck and cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next