Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Oil Catch Tanks
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I think (on a turbo application) it all runs from behind the air filter into the back hole of the rocker cover and then out of the PCV valve through the catch can back to the side of the manifold...

Doing this means you don't pressurise the rocker cover as the PCV shuts off under boost and when running vac it draws a draught from behind the air filter through the rocker cover (draging out oil vapour and escaped fuel fumes etc) down through the catch can (leaving the solids behind) and out through the manifold where all the flammable stuff left in the air is re-burnt (environmentally friendly)...

Or thats how I'm lead to believe it works anyway... That ^^^ is how the factory one must work (judging on hose connections)...

Hope this helps...

Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

there are a few ways a catch can can be used..

usually the breather from the rear of the rocker cover runs into the catch can, from the catch can to the intake/filter before the turbo or supercharger..(or vented to air via a filter)..
and the pcv can work as per factory as the pcv seals under boost allowing any blow by at high rpm or boost to exit via the breather at the rear of the rockercover into the catch can..
(this is how i would use it)

or both the pcv and rocker cover breather can run to a catch can, then from the catch can to the air intake before the turbo/supercharger(or vented to air via a filter)
this works but there is no pcv in operation..

there are otherways it can be connected aswell

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

Here is the catch can for my setup. Fitted as described by Troyman.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XT Fairmont, 03 BA Pursuit ute

QLD, Australia

would it be worthwile running a catch can if the motors na but with cam and head mods? Im running a stage 3 crow cam with mild head work and bigger injectors with an eliminator chip.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

XTcruiser wrote:
would it be worthwile running a catch can if the motors na but with cam and head mods? Im running a stage 3 crow cam with mild head work and bigger injectors with an eliminator chip.

doubtful, unless your rocker breather is pushing oil out of the PCV more than normal. Probably not necessary for N/A unless you want to dress up your car and use your car for drag strip applications.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XT Fairmont, 03 BA Pursuit ute

QLD, Australia

no it doesnt push more oil out. Just thought id ask as i dont really know much about the whole setup. But when i supercharge it i will be adding a catch can. Thanks for the info guys

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
there are a few ways a catch can can be used..

usually the breather from the rear of the rocker cover runs into the catch can, from the catch can to the intake/filter before the turbo or supercharger..(or vented to air via a filter)..
and the pcv can work as per factory as the pcv seals under boost allowing any blow by at high rpm or boost to exit via the breather at the rear of the rockercover into the catch can..
(this is how i would use it)

or both the pcv and rocker cover breather can run to a catch can, then from the catch can to the air intake before the turbo/supercharger(or vented to air via a filter)
this works but there is no pcv in operation..

there are otherways it can be connected aswell

Just curious with this first method... when your cruising and the pcv is open it'd still be sucking oil vapour into the manifold wouldn't it? as the catch can is before the rocker cover in this scenario...

Cheers...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 pm 

NSW, Australia

i think it also depends on the condition of the engine..
ive been running boost into my engine for just over 10,000kms without a catch can,
when the blower was removed a few week ago to be repaired there was only the slightest hint of residue on the entry of the breather pipe, nothing on the entry of the blower or the impeller...

i do have a catch can for it but havnt bothered putting it on yet.. :roll:

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i think it also depends on the condition of the engine..
ive been running boost into my engine for just over 10,000kms without a catch can,
when the blower was removed a few week ago to be repaired there was only the slightest hint of residue on the entry of the breather pipe, nothing on the entry of the blower or the impeller...

i do have a catch can for it but havnt bothered putting it on yet.. :roll:

On another side of the coin, I also have had my s/c on for about 10,000km. But found there to be excess oil residue on the intake pipe of the s/c, hence me going out and fitting a catch can. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. The repairs of the s/c would far outweight the cost of a catch can in the long run IMO.

I have noticed that its doing it job too. The gauge on the CC is showing to have caught quite a bit of residue and excess fluids. This potentially could have gone thru my s/c unnecessarily. :o

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 pm 

NSW, Australia

yea i am planning to fit my one as the engine is not getting any younger lol...
its just clocked 110.000km so is fairly fresh.. but with s**t loads of boost going through it its just a matter of time before it will require the catch can.. :lol:

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
yea i am planning to fit my one as the engine is not getting any younger lol...
its just clocked 110.000km so is fairly fresh.. but with s**t loads of boost going through it its just a matter of time before it will require the catch can.. :lol:

mine has done more than yours. 155,000km or there abouts. I thought it would be better than dripping oil on the garage floor after a bit of fun. I hate oil leaks. :P

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

So i get this right, there are 2 hoses connected to the rocker cover one in front(PVC) valve and rear breather were the air is reused for combustion for enviromental purposes, and so a catch can cleans it and stops solids and impure vapor from being reused in combustion chamber by doing so creates cleaner more efficiant spark due to cleaner air, but an oil catch tank can be used with both PVC valve and breather because they both produce impure vapor and unwanted solids that find there way back to combustion chamber through throttle body hose, Is this right or have i compleatly messed up?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensill...

NSW, Australia

XTcruiser wrote:
Hey Wholagan can i ask where you got all the polished gear from, iv been looking for stuff like that for a while and had no luck. Also is the block polished as well? If so how the hell did you do that. Engine bay looks frickin sweet mate!

All my braided hoses and fittings come form www.mscn.com... They are expensive and hard to play with, but are well worth it.
The intake come from Ebay.
The radiator and expansion tank come from PWR
Everything else has either been removed, hand polished, or painted with good spray paint.
No the block isent polished, just the front of the head. lol..
you could'nt polish the block anyway, its cast iron.
Its nothing special but thanks for the complements :-)

XR6, 3''CAI, sick'o BBM, no AC, 2.5''exhaust, special cat, PWR radiator&expansion-tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM converter, shiftkit, 4 pin 3.91:1, 31spline billets, minispool, Nolathane, RDA golds, My interior, genuine GT's.. (gallery) SpeedFlow

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Ok, I realise this is a mine but I thought it better than creating a new thread. I plan to take my car to the drags on the odd occasion so thought a catch can would be in order - just need to know how it ought to be plumbed for my EF. Anyone got suggestions/pics for an N/A setup?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EBII Fairmont 4.0 206rwkw

SA, Australia

Heres where i fitted mine. Just connected to PCV & rear breather.
Then blocked off the PCV pipe below the throttle body.

EBII Fairmont = 206rwkw
EL Fairmont = Daily

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next