Fordmods Logo

Oil Catch Tanks 

Page 3 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Oil Catch Tanks
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Nice setup there Trav. Does the car run any differently with the hoses now redirected to the can and not plumbed back into the system?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

your better off using 2 catch cans.

one can for the pcv, and one can for the breather...

reason being... the pcv is doing the venting under low load application. the second breather vents when the pcv shuts.

now when the pcv is shut your better off having the secondary breather hooked up to your air intake so it can create some vaccuum in the breather and suck the vapour out, instead of just relying on atmospheric venting.

the reaon why you dont hook up the pcv catch can to the intake (or vent it) is that you dont want to introduce a vaccuum leak

i wouldnt bother with a catch can in an NA car, unless your motor is rooted and has more blow bye than a poofters a*** hole... :o

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Here's my catch can setup.

2 -10 fittings welded into the rocker cover to replace the stock breather and PCV into a catch can vented to atmo.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Here's my catch can setup.

2 -10 fittings welded into the rocker cover to replace the stock breather and PCV into a catch can vented to atmo.

Dan,

Looks very much the same as i had, until i was told it was useless. Wondered why i was getting water/moisture in the can as well as oil.......Get rid of the filter!!!
Not to mention the unbelievable amount of oily residue in the intake, turbo, and pipe prior to the intercooler.....
Plastic tube runs oil to the bottom of can, fresh air sucked from the top...

PCV goes to the manifold as per factory (get an xr6t check valve, the plastic pcv valve can disintegrate, f**k ing your motor).

Turbo intake to can, can to rear of rocker cover..........

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

DA22LE wrote:
Looks very much the same as i had, until i was told it was useless. Wondered why i was getting water/moisture in the can as well as oil.......Get rid of the filter!!!
Not to mention the unbelievable amount of oily residue in the intake, turbo, and pipe prior to the intercooler.

I dont have it plumbed back into the intake so the residue cant get there.

I had one similar to yours on my old AU and it still sucked oil into the intake under heavy boost so I didnt do it that way this time.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

HA HA Reminds me of an old corona i had. These cars dont run a pcv valve just dumping fumes out the side of motro. Anyway engine was so stuffed the amount of smoke being blown out meant that sitting at traffic lights the car would disappear in a cloud of smoke. Rigged up a catch can out of an old milk bottle plumbed back into intakle and hey no more unwanbted attention. We wont even talk of the exhaust held together by dog food cans and hose clamps.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

I make it a habit to empty my catch can every few months regardless. I have found there is moisture/water mainly in the can rather than oil. Its connected to the air filter side of the s/c. Am I better off changing the route of the connection?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Why is it that the standard plumbing on the EF has the rear breather connected just before the butterfly, and the PCV plumbed into the bottom half of the BBM? Does it make any difference where the pipes feed in? Do they need to be kept separate, or can they be joined to a single pipe before feeding back into the system?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Daz your setup is the closest hing to an emissions legal oil-air separator. The only improvement I suggest is so e gauze or foam that sits between the top and bottom hoses insde he can. That way ALL of the oil vapour gets kept in the can.

And N/A engines still benefit from a decent catch can setup. Just cause they aren't running boost doesn't mean they should be forgotten. They also make some serious cylinder pressure too.

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
Why is it that the standard plumbing on the EF has the rear breather connected just before the butterfly, and the PCV plumbed into the bottom half of the BBM? Does it make any difference where the pipes feed in? Do they need to be kept separate, or can they be joined to a single pipe before feeding back into the system?

The idea from factory is when you have manifold vac it sucks a draught from the front of the buttery fly, through the rocker cover and into the manifold... Any gasses or vapours in the rocker are captured and burnt this way... Hence one pipe before the buttery and the other after it...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

[quote="xcabbi"]Daz your setup is the closest hing to an emissions legal oil-air separator. The only improvement I suggest is so e gauze or foam that sits between the top and bottom hoses insde he can. That way ALL of the oil vapour gets kept in the can.quote]
Bit busy, mostly lazy to put the stainless steel wool in....... :roll:
Will do when i do a bit of remodelling in the engine bay.......

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Daz,

When you say turbo intake to can... I am guessing this means the air filter side of the turbo?

This is how I would've thought one should be plumbed so that when your cruising and have manifold vac you still get the draught through the rocker cover to suck out the fumes...

Everyone seems to join both hose into one can and put a filter on it... I can't really see how this is supposed to work... the pistons aren't going to pump oil from the rocker cover into the can... may as well just put air filters on both rocker cover vents... gives the same effect...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oil isnt supposed to be pumped out. It is supposed to stay in the engine.

A can works better because the oil vapour gets trapped and drains out back into the sump (if it is hooked up) rather than going all over the engine bay.

If the engine doesnt have blowby and has decent breathers there should be hardly any oil vapour getting out anyway.

Its not legal because of emissions but I'd rather that than oil going back into my intake tract.

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

From factory thats what happens though...

I even doubt modern XR6 turbos would have a catch can... And they would still breathe through the rocker cover much the same way as a normal XR wouldn't they? How come there is no problem there or is it a problem and if so why hasn't ford rectified it with an emissions legal catch can set up?

You wouldn't wanna be draining your catch can back into your sump would you? Esp if your getting moisture in it?

I know oil hitting your turbo isn't good... I though it was purely there to catch gases and reburn them... The oil was supposed to stay in the can...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Factory cars need to meet emissions and the engines are brand new when they are made so blowby is minimal.

Moisture gets into your engine with condensation anyway. Its not like the catch can is out in the rain so I dont think its an issue.

Havent you looked into a high km intake manifold? All that sludge is not your friend. Thats the reason I have a catch can.

When I had the supercharger setup and no catch can with my old motor the charger was packed full of oil due to blowby. Not long after it was tuned and running all this oil in the intake caused it to ping nearly all the time.

Oil vapour in your intake is bad. Maybe the xr6t's dont run enough boost to warrant a catch can from factory. Im sure there are standard cars out there with catch cans fitted from factory.

Last edited by Dansedgli on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next