Fordmods Logo

Oil gauge problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil gauge problem
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

VIC, Australia

Hi guy's can anyone shed some light on a problem i have with my oil gauge on my el i had trouble coming back from Ceduna (WA) the gauge was sitting on normal position , next time i looked it was right around on flat out stoped and the gauge stayed there on idle reved the motor the gauge stayer there turned it off checked under the hood everthing ok decided to continue on putting it down to the gauge spitting the dummy monitering it only to look down 100km latter to find it reading true .only to repeet this two more times can anyone help with a solution to this problem

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 02 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

hey yeah ive had some probs with my oil pressure guage on my ef fairmont ghia straight 6. If i give a bit of a hiding it drops away to zero at idle and the warning chime goes off. i did the same as u check under the bonnet ect. i had a feeling it still had oil pressure seams how the lifters hadnt broken down, because they are always the 1st thing to go on with low oil pressure on them. anyway being a mechanic i thought id try putting a workshop gauge with a T peice on it so i could have the workshop gauge which i could trust and the sender unit from the car hooked up at the same time. i drove it around like normal till the problem occured again then i stopped and checked the workshop gauge. workship gauge said 21 PSI so i rang the ford dealership and asked them about it (i work at a holden dealership so its not much help) anyway they said its fine and they had a rebuilt falcon in there with less oil pressure than mine. they said replace the oil pressure sender unit and see how it goes. So i did that, and all was well for a few days, unit it did the same thing AGAIN. i rang up ford and they said they would do their own testing on it 4 free, so i gave them the car to play with and they said the new sender was faulty and was to be replaced under new parts warranty. fine by me. so i am on my 3RD sender unit, and i thought this must be it. But it did it again, the true oil pressure reading is fine and im on the 3rd sender unit, i checked the wiring, so im assuming the gauge in the dash is faulty. anyway i have left as is and i have no prolems engine wise, the only problem being the oil light coming on occasionally with no other side effects. Anyway i dont know if it helps u but it might make u feel better to know your not the only 1 out there with funny oil pressure reading.
Cheers Tom

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

hehe heasy fixed boys
this is common with au falcons

basically run a 2nd ground/earth wire from the power steering bracket to the battery! if that dont work add another earth wire to the alt and then to the battery :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

As you can see the dealer ( President Ford, Elsternwick ) has done all the things you guys have mentioned, i still have the problem,
I bought my car 13 months ago and couple weeks laterafter buying i noticed this problem, i took my car in several times and waited all day, they kept saying they fixed it, road tested it, and its all fine, but what the eggs did was put bloody thicker oil in, and slowed my car down heaps. and they noticed i changed the oil and put recomended oil in, so the C*** cable tied the dip stick so i couldnt check the oil they were using. end result, nothing, my dad even got a lawyer to call them and scare them so they could fix the problem, all they said was bring it in, will have another look, the prob still wasnt fixed and i couldnt be stuffed with dealing with eggs, so i just left it,

and now that my licence is suspended for 12 months, (7 months to go) im just gonna take the engine out and open inside and see whats really wrong.

oh and my car burnt alot of oil aswell.

Post subject: still problem persists
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

VIC, Australia

Yes we had the low oil pressure bit ourselves some 12 months ago and we got the same "use this special thicker oil" s**t from our dealer, thank god that problem seemed to go away and the normal oil has not caused it to reappear.
It was 6 months after the low oil pressure incident that this current over reading problem started and the dealer who checked it out (same dealer)said it was "Just a broken gauge wire and that he had fixed it" (sounded sus at the time), but until last week it seemed he had actually fixed it.
We tryed jumping the engine earth to the battery as suggested it did absolutly nothing.
The oil pressure gauge still sits high and moves around at random anywhere from normal position (that is 2 bars off bottom red) to full gauge with no relationship to engine speed oil temp or anything else we can pin it down to.
From what i see comming in from you guys Ford have a real problem with something in th oil pressure system that has nothing to do with actual engine oil pressure.
Surley the dealership guys have been down this road.
There must be a tech alert on this one somewhere.
Has any FORD S.M. seen one?

Post subject: 2nd earth
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 02 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

hey guys, yeah ive heard about the 2nd earth prob b4 but unfortunaly it hasnt fixed my problem. From wot the spare parts bloke told me at work AU series 1 had the earth problem and by series 2 the sender unit had a 2nd earth on it, in heinsight i should have got a series 2 sender but i dont know if the resistance values would have matched my ef gauge. oh well thanks anyway

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]