Fordmods Logo

Oil gets dirty quickly...why??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil gets dirty quickly...why???
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA

SA, Australia

Any ideas on why my oil seems to get darker quicker than I think it should. Oil seems to turn a darker yellow after only 2,000-3,000km's. I have a NA BA XR6 with 46K on the clock, 2nd CAI with a GreenFilter and Pacemaker comps with a Redback 2.5" system. Would any of these mods be causing the problem? A mate mentioned that a car running rich can contaminate the oil quicker. True? It does seem to run rich, but don't they all!

JB

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

what type of oil are you using,you could be flushing rubbish out from previous driving.changing brands may cause colour change,any overheating?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

True indeed. A richer mixture is likely to see more carbon/unburnt/improperly burnt fuel find its way into the crank case.

Maybe a "better" oil or different filter may be the go? It really doesnt sound too bad - so long as its not turning to sludge within a few weeks of it going in...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i'd be more worried if it wasn't getting dirty. one the jobs of the oil is to keep the engine clean. if it's not getting dirty it's not cleaning your engine. i change my oil after 3000-5000km

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA

SA, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
what type of oil are you using,you could be flushing rubbish out from previous driving.changing brands may cause colour change,any overheating?

I was using Mobil 1 from day 1, but Ford recommended their standard oil, Magnatec, 2 services ago (which I now use). How can changing brands increase the contamination factor, or is Mangatec just a crap oil? Should I change back to Mobil 1? Is there a better brand?

JB

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was using Mobil 1 from day 1, but Ford recommended their standard oil, Magnatec, 2 services ago (which I now use). How can changing brands increase the contamination factor, or is Mangatec just a crap oil? Should I change back to Mobil 1? Is there a better brand?

JB[/quote] did you buy the car new,if so keep using the same oil until you reach about 16000 ks or the motor starts to use oil,you have a choice,change brands or keep using the same oil.if you bought 2nd hand and you want to change brands,go ahead,but you will flush all the old oil and rubbish out in about 3-4 oil changes.more frequent changes are better.eg 5000 ks than using synthetic oil and changing oil 20000-30000 because of the costs.choose a good oil and priced ok,you will be changing regularly,also removes wear grit,sludge contamiates and oil shoud be clean,also the filter, you can get 400000-600000ks out of the motor.i dont recommend castrol as it gumms motors up badly,valvoline is ok,slight varnish on parts ,i dont use synthetic due to cost.your choice

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

JB[/quote] did you buy the car new,if so keep using the same oil until you reach about 16000 ks or the motor starts to use oil,you have a choice,change brands or keep using the same oil.if you bought 2nd hand and you want to change brands,go ahead,but you will flush all the old oil and rubbish out in about 3-4 oil changes.more frequent changes are better.eg 5000 ks than using synthetic oil and changing oil 20000-30000 because of the costs.choose a good oil and priced ok,you will be changing regularly,also removes wear grit,sludge contamiates and oil shoud be clean,also the filter, you can get 400000-600000ks out of the motor.i dont recommend castrol as it gumms motors up badly,valvoline is ok,slight varnish on parts ,i dont use synthetic due to cost.your choice

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

I agree with tickford_6. If my oil wasn't getting dirty, I would be worried too. In my diesel engines, the oil looks crap after the first day!!

I change my oil every 3 months, I know it's uneconomical, but it's the only way I can remember!!

I always use Penrite, apart from the fact it's an Aussie made and owned oil, and have done so from day 1. The first thing I did when I bought a new car was to dump the factory oil and put in Penrite.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]