Fordmods Logo

oil in dizzy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: oil in dizzy
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

hey guys the car broke down on me today in peak hour, I got it going after a while somehow and made it home all sweet. Stripped down the brand new ignition system (less than a year old) and the distributor is absolutely rooted. There's oil in it (on the manifold side of the cap) and has real bad corrosion everywhere, cap and rotor are buggered too but the leads look ok, it looks like oil has come up from underneath from the aux shaft somehow. I'm thinking it's the shaft seal on the dizzy but that looks ok, It's under warranty but I don't want it to happen again haha. Would it be safe it say it's the seal and not anything else? Here's some pics it's absolutely rooted lol managed to make the trip hoem tho!

Post subject: Re: oil in dizzy
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Yep....the seals do sh!t themselves, and the top bush does too.....for some reason, oil doesn't make it to the bush properly, and it overheats, then starts making a squeaking noise.
I have had this happen several times....usually make it past 12 months though, but not 2 years.
Before I fitted each new dizzy, I put cam lube ( Sealed Power type....runny green stuff) into the lube hole of the dizzy for about 2 days before I fit the dizzy.

Attachments:
IMGP10857.JPG
IMGP10857.JPG [ 269.32 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]
IMGP10812 (2).JPG
IMGP10812 (2).JPG [ 345.05 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]
IMGP10855.JPG
IMGP10855.JPG [ 257.74 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
IMGP10830.JPG
IMGP10830.JPG [ 306.57 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]
IMGP10825.JPG
IMGP10825.JPG [ 321.47 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I haven't seen oil in a diizzy yet... Have seen top bushes flog out... And the flog out in the bottom where it runs straight in the aluminum too...

We took original dizzies (not the cheap crap aftermarket ones) and had the lower ends drilled (where is runs in the aluminum) and purchased all the remaining dizzy bushes Ford had left across the country and had them pressed into the lower ends of the dizzy while replacing the top one also. We firstly pressure packed the bronze with oil...

Hopefully they should last a fair whack longer now than they did for the original 2 or 300,000 kms...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

While on the topic of dizzys

I purchased a load of parts that are at my dads lives far from me , but i got a genuine bosch coil etc good stuff still new

Now in the pictures it looks to be a complete dizzy brand new in the pile but has a orange / red cap , what brand would this be would anyone know ?

me is crossing fingers its bosch

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Had some issues with getting this covered under warranty the guy said my dizzy is like that because the metal spring loaded pin/terminal thing in the inside center of the cap was missing therefore I installed it incorrectly. So the coil lead spark was jumping across a massive gap to contact the rotor button causing all the corrosion/rust he says. Shame I didn't check inside the cap when I took it out the car. I know it was in the cap when I installed it I'm not sure if it came off while it was in the car or in storage over the last couple months.

He said he'll send it to bosch without the cap but he reckons they won't cover it (despite all the oil and rust that's clearly from moisture.. the oil had even all pooled to the lower/outer side of the dizzy/cap and created worse corrosion than other/higher areas). Will be interesting to see if they swap it over or not. It appears both the bush and maybe the cap have stuffed it.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

There are 2 issues, and the bottom end failure is a seperate issue to the rotor. Many places will use any excuse to get out of a warranty claim, this may be the case here. I would still doubt the story about the Cap, but send it back with a new Cap / Rotor fitted. If the Car ran fine for a long time, it has been installed correctly as I see it.

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]