Fordmods Logo

Oil Leak - How Bad - Part 2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil Leak - How Bad - Part 2
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Okay Guys, I gave the front of the engine a good clean and have now found that the main pulley at the front of the engine on the bottom, has oil covering inside the pulley, but only half the face (almost exactly half) is covered in oil.

It looks like it is also spraying a bit when the pulley pins around?

Hopefully someone can give me a more definitive idea on what the leak is? Thanks.

Life’s too short to be a pr!ck, which is why I only read decent forums, like FORDMODS!

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

So its the front crank seal!
Prick of a job as the timing cover has to be removed. You may as well replace the timing chain guides while your there. There are timing chain guide kits available which includes the crank seal, timing chain, O' rings, gaskets, timing chain tensioner and of course timing chain guides. Ringwood auto parts have them availabe through their ebay store for about $85.00. Google them. Thats where i bought mine from.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Thanks Joolz, but this does not sound like a job for me to attempt. Any ides how much to get a mechanic to do the work for me and how long?

Life’s too short to be a pr!ck, which is why I only read decent forums, like FORDMODS!

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Labour will be the killer in price but if you have any mates that know about cars its a pretty straight forward job. The main things are to drop the sump atleast 10mm to remove the timing chain cover from between the head and sump. You will need silastic to seal the top and bottom of the cover. You will also need a harmonic balancer puller tool. If you dont have a stong knowledge on engines nor any mates that do its probarbly a good idea to have a mechanic do it for you. Im not sure on the price sorry. I have replaced my head gasket before and have seen partially down where you have to go so it wasnt all that bad for me. I did have some tips from people from here but also learnt some stuff myself.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

I had a decent oil leak on the driver's side front corner of the engine ... was hard to tell where it was coming from .... I had the seal behind the balancer replaced ... and it still leaked .... I then thought it was the sump leaking .... but in the end found it was the cam chain tensioner behind the power steer pump was making the mess.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

I did the front seal on my xh (unsure of the type of vehicle we are talking about). Didn't have to remove the cover. Pulled thermos out, backed tension off on the belt using 3/8 ratchet and extension, ran belt off, undid bolt on harmonic balancer, used harmonic balance puller to remove harmonic balancer (naturally :lol: ), hooked seal out. Found a socket that fitted neatly around the outside of the seal and gently tapped it back in. Put some oil around the balancer running surface and reinstalled it (doing centre bolt up tight). Backed tension off on the idler for the belt, ran it back on, Put thermo fans back in...no more leak.
All up took about an hour. 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]