oil temp guage drops to 0 in my fairlane 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: oil temp guage drops to 0 in my fairlane
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

whats the deal with my oil temp guage dropping to 0 with the red light on when ive come to a stop??
i drive for like 10min and if i come to a stop n car is idling it will drop down n then aventually the red light comes on n beeps.

should i be worried about this??

cheers

now has t5 manual conversion, 1521a cam, extractors, j3 etc :) the-garage-f53/nl-fairlane-t87847.html

Post subject: Re: oil temp guage drops to 0 in my fairlane
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its something that needs to be checked asap..
you need to get the oil pressure checked, it could just be a failing sender?
if not bad new for your engine...

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

oil pressure. not temp. get it checked out asap, could just be a faulty sender though

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
its something that needs to be checked asap..
you need to get the oil pressure checked, it could just be a failing sender?
if not bad new for your engine...

WILDEB wrote:
oil pressure. not temp. get it checked out asap, could just be a faulty sender though

lol atleast u new wot i was on about, so could it wait alil or should i not be driving my car??

now has t5 manual conversion, 1521a cam, extractors, j3 etc :) the-garage-f53/nl-fairlane-t87847.html

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

is the motor noisy? if it was me i'd just nana it and keep an eye out for noises. and get a new sender ASAP. or try get a mechanical gauge put on it for good measure

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
is the motor noisy? if it was me i'd just nana it and keep an eye out for noises. and get a new sender ASAP. or try get a mechanical gauge put on it for good measure

this could sound dumb but wots a sender? n where do i get one from
cheers bud

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:06 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Could be mechanical as others have suggested or possibly electrical. My NF also suffers from low oil pressure when very hot (hot day, heavy traffic) with the same symptoms as yours. I have had the fault even though I have fitted an AU II Intech donk and a new sender unit. I believe it is an earthing problem in my case (and possibly yours) but have yet to track it down. I would listen for any strange noise from the engine when pressure drops off. It would still be a good idea to check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Have you noticed any slight changes in fuel level, volts or eng temp? This would indicate either an instrument cluster or electrical issue.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

my EB on a hot day the oil pressure gauge goes right up to high. and then occasionally will go back to showing the right pressure. but on cooler days it's fine.

the sender screws into the side of the block and sends the signal to the gauge. if they are faulty it'll give a wrong reading

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
Could be mechanical as others have suggested or possibly electrical. My NF also suffers from low oil pressure when very hot (hot day, heavy traffic) with the same symptoms as yours. I have had the fault even though I have fitted an AU II Intech donk and a new sender unit. I believe it is an earthing problem in my case (and possibly yours) but have yet to track it down. I would listen for any strange noise from the engine when pressure drops off. It would still be a good idea to check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Have you noticed any slight changes in fuel level, volts or eng temp? This would indicate either an instrument cluster or electrical issue.

i just notice sometimes when it drops it'll make like a click noise n revs drop n rumbles n then goes back to norm, dont really have a chance to get out in the middle of traffic n have a look.. i notice when i press for how many l/100k's im doin its up in like 18L?? i dont put the foot down all the time either just pump music and no air con, which deff cant be right n im gettin bout 350-400k's a tank which i thought is alil suss but all the other gauges are fine.. yeh it mainly does it on a hot day or on a long trip(3hrs).. i'll ask my mate(mechanic) bout it on the weekend see wot he thinks

cheers lads

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

This could be interesting to find out what the cause is my Ba wagon is doing the same damn thing I have an aftermarket gauge I was hoping it was just the sender.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
my EB on a hot day the oil pressure gauge goes right up to high. and then occasionally will go back to showing the right pressure. but on cooler days it's fine.

the sender screws into the side of the block and sends the signal to the gauge. if they are faulty it'll give a wrong reading

I'd be worried if your oil pressure goes up right to high on a hot day. Your oil pressure should drop as the day gets hot and thus the engine. If I'm not mistaken, as your oil heats up, the viscosity of the oil will be much lower than compared to cold, thus allowing the oil to flow much easier and thus less pressure.

I had the issue of having high oil pressure during hot days which I thought was odd on my old engine, after a week or so, my headgasket gave way. You will also find that you should have higher oil pressures when the engine is still cold compared to warm...let it sit at idle and it will sit half way when you just start it, go for a 5 min drive, oil pressure drops at idle.

To the OP, I would suggest getting the sensor checked first. Could just be faulty or a loose connection. No oil pressure means no oil circulating through the engine meaning more wear on moving components, especially rockers and camshaft...assuming the sensor is working. The earlier you diagnose it the better.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

I'd be worried if your oil pressure goes up right to high on a hot day. Your oil pressure should drop as the day gets hot and thus the engine. If I'm not mistaken, as your oil heats up, the viscosity of the oil will be much lower than compared to cold, thus allowing the oil to flow much easier and thus less pressure.

I had the issue of having high oil pressure during hot days which I thought was odd on my old engine, after a week or so, my headgasket gave way. You will also find that you should have higher oil pressures when the engine is still cold compared to warm...let it sit at idle and it will sit half way when you just start it, go for a 5 min drive, oil pressure drops at idle.

To the OP, I would suggest getting the sensor checked first. Could just be faulty or a loose connection. No oil pressure means no oil circulating through the engine meaning more wear on moving components, especially rockers and camshaft...assuming the sensor is working. The earlier you diagnose it the better.

mines a sender problem. it jumps straight up. then drops to normal. doubt the engine would constantly do that

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

sweet i'll get the sensor checked out

also got another question for ya's
it says im doin 18.9L/ 100km's wot the deal here? i dont drive like a maniac or with aircon on
i asked my friend today she said its prob the o2 sensor or somthin? cuz she had the same prob in her commo

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

619GIE wrote:
phongus wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

it says im doin 18.9L/ 100km's wot the deal here? i dont drive like a maniac or with aircon on
i asked my friend today she said its prob the o2 sensor or somthin? cuz she had the same prob in her commo

O2 sensor, vacuum leak, map sensor...

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
619GIE wrote:
phongus wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

O2 sensor, vacuum leak, map sensor...

nice, looks like i better keep some money to spend on my car then lol
cheers bud

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next