Fordmods Logo

over-heating probs 

Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: AUII XR6 VCT

WA, Australia

im beginning to think its the pump as well, how do i test to see if the pump is working ?

sorry about all the question i bought a gregories and its useless, i cant even use the paper to wipe my a** with as the paper is too hard :(

www.aufalcon.com/dunkly

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I like the gregories myself

Easiest way to test the water pump is to take off the top radiator hose and start the car :)

I would say if water pisses out of it you should be sweet!

Someone might know a cleaner way

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 93 ED

NSW, Australia

Did the shop pull the radiator out take the top tank off? Only asking cause I work in a rad shop and have seen EA radiators full of sand 100's of times.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: AUII XR6 VCT

WA, Australia

im not too sure what they did, they just said it was over=heating because of the thermos. they didnt even charge me so they probably did f**k-all.

the car still gets hot as im driving as well by the way, i was on a 200k drive and i hardly ever dropped under 100 km/h and it still got hotter. dont know if thats gonna help but i thought id give all the facts i can

www.aufalcon.com/dunkly

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Get the rad cleaned out, as i stated in an earlier post and others have stated they are bad for sand from casting of the engine block.
If it's over heating on the highway then it's not a fan problem.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

you should probably steer away from buying 700000km ex cabs. you neglected to mention this in the question.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

...Dunkly wrote:
im not too sure what they did, they just said it was over=heating because of the thermos. they didnt even charge me so they probably did f**k-all.

the car still gets hot as im driving as well by the way, i was on a 200k drive and i hardly ever dropped under 100 km/h and it still got hotter. dont know if thats gonna help but i thought id give all the facts i can

Take it to a radiator shop thats actually interested in fixing the problem. These fools sound like they don't like thermos and are jumping to conclusions. Without doing proper tests they wouldn't know.

Question, how do you know you are not getting any flow?

EB V8 wrote:
you should probably steer away from buying 700000km ex cabs. you neglected to mention this in the question.

What sort of f**k up response is that?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

madmax wrote:
EB V8 wrote:

What sort of f**k up response is that?

same as the pinhead himself :roll:

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:03 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
i dont think it would be the thermo fans. my ea has thermo fans and when driving on the freeway or normal flowing traffic (not stop start) they dont even come on until i get stuck in traffic ..so the thermo fans being a problem is bull s**t..

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hi
i dont think it would be the thermo fans. my ea has thermo fans and when driving on the freeway or normal flowing traffic (not stop start) they dont even come on until i get stuck in traffic ..so the thermo fans being a problem is bull s**t..

Agree with you there. I too had thermos in my EA, made no difference too cooling compare to the clutch fan. Big difference was made with a new radiator.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I bet half of you guys would just love for someone to organise a BBQ so everyone can chuck their steaks on the BBQ and discuss all things EA.

Let me know when the BBQ is on so I can bring a carton of Eggs and throw them your way.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
I bet half of you guys would just love for someone to organise a BBQ so everyone can chuck their steaks on the BBQ and discuss all things EA.

Let me know when the BBQ is on so I can bring a carton of Eggs and throw them your way.

you really have a problem with the ea's dont you..
or is its because the ea guys take offence..

i think your fishing again...

my d**k gets hard every time i drive a falcon lol

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

- back on topic...

Has this problem been rectified??

I had a cooling issue with my LTD... Temp gauge was sitting on half on the highway was is to high for my liking.

It ended up being the alternator belt slipping due to being stretched and thus the water pump wasn't pumping enough coolant. I replaced the belt and problem solved

EA-ED belts are very thin and are prone to snapping/stretching

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Post subject: Re: over-heating probs
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

...Dunkly wrote:
hey all,

Car is a '91 EA 6, it all started about 3 weeks ago car was running a bit hotter than usual but i thought nothing of it. As the weather has heated up so has the motor and on the weekend on a 200K drive it decided to boil over, i let it cool down, drive another 15-20 and she boils over again.

So i get home sunday, the whole system gets flushed, new hoses get thrown on, top-notch coolant goes in, start it up and run it, its heats up the thermostat opens and the water isnt flowing through, its just staying in the over-flow tank. it was at this point i knew i had a problem....

im thinkin a blockage in the head maybe???

just wondering if someone could help me out here, maybe let me know how to diagnose this further, repair the prob if it is blocked or even with a price of what it would cost to fix...

sorry about the novel but i thought the more info i gave the more everyone could help

thanks again

Nice reading all the posts.
So easy to take the radiator out. Just take it to a radiator shop and get it serviced. Fit a new thermostat , radiator cap and water pump while you are on the job. May sound a bit expensive , but better than "cooking" the motor on one of your long runs. Nothing worse than an overheating car. Nothing better than when you solve it.
If all this doesn't solve your problem, it will be the head and at least everything else will be serviceable once you change that.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

They are right about thermos not cooling as good as a clutch.
Now before you all fire up (LOL) i am not talking about the EF upwards fans, they do an excellent job so they can't knock them.
I had lots of dramas running thermos on my XD, but this was before the EF was even made.
I was running a 16 inch behind the rad and 2 10 inch in the front, i couldn't get it to run cold, and the drag on the alt when it was hot made the car hard to start.
I went back to a clutch and instant 1/4 on the guage in any weather.
After i'd had these problems i'd spoken to other guys and they had the same problems in the past.
I'll definately be fitting the EF/EL fans to the XD if and when i get it back on the road.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next