Fordmods Logo

Performing a Self Diagnosis test (Is my test lamp ok) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Performing a Self Diagnosis test (Is my test lamp ok)
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I want to perform a self diagnosis test on my ED to find if there's any electrical part's needed to be replaced (mainly the oxygen sensor).

Just a few questions before I attempt.

1. How do I make a jumper lead?
2. I have a test lamp but I read about if it had any more than 0.3 impedance it could damamge my ECU. I have the Orange 12v $15 one from autobarn.
3. It tells me to connect the negative lead on the test lamp to pin C on Diagnosis connector (near the fuse box) and the positive lead to the positive battery terminal on the battery, Problem My negative on my test lamp is an alligator clip and my positive is a probe.

I thought that's how all test lamps were. Also current from the battery straight to pin C sounds a bit odd? Is this right?

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

QLD, Australia

How ya going.
First of a test lamp is way too low resistance, draws too much current.
Think of it as trying to drive all the parkers and side lights of a B-Double through your trailer plug. Yes I Know the're 24V.

Buy a meter that has 10M Ohms input impedance. Trickie d**k sell a good one that is designed for vehicle work.

You can modify a spade terminal to plug onto your meter leads or simply buy a set of leads/adapters.

You don't have to run a wire to the battery. Any +ve (positive) point in the dash area will do as you are not reading a specific voltage as such, just counting pulses, on or off.

I haven't got my manual handy but will get back as I'm sure that there is a +ve pin on the test plug but it is in the fuse panel and any live terminal in the panel will do.

Hope this helps.

Grumbles

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Use a 12V LED from d**k or Jaycar - its a regular LED with a resistor in series so it can run off 12V. You just have to make sure the leads are around the correct way, or it simply won't light up (won't cause damage, though)

I made a jumper using a paperclip that wedges between the two pins that need crossing. Now I have a permanent setup with a toggle switch and LED so I just flick the switch to enter diagnostic mode.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Even better idea is to get one of muzza's diagnostic units (the best bang for buck unit around :D :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]