Fordmods Logo

PHENOLIC SPACERS for Broad Band Manifold... 

Page 8 of 9 [ 125 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: PHENOLIC SPACERS for Broad Band Manifold...
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

FLASH wrote:
I don't know mate, engines get bloody hot on the dyno. There is only just enough flow from (most of) there fans to keep the engine at a reasonable temperature. Heat soak through the engine is an absolute killer on those things. I had a drop of 15rwkw just through heat soak, and that was only three runs. Im sure in one day you could easily do say three runs on a dyno standard, fit the FFFF, and give it three or more runs and get full results.
Hey - you're asking me to put my money where my mouth is... That's not going to happen. Not because I don't believe the product works slightly, not because I don't have a a mouth... That leaves money. That's the issue. Honestly have less than $50 to my name until Saturday (when the cycle starts over as already have promised to pay $80 for some car bits). This week I bought a stainless exhaust with one muffler, not three, a steering wheel, some pedals, and one clear repeater. Total cost of $160 or thereabouts. This is actually more than the budget can withstand each week and leads to times of eating little and filling in times on FordMods when others would be out doing real stuff...

Still, am willing to give it a bash, for sure. If we could work something out surrounding my crap finances. Just put a listing on trademe for a EA-AU to T5 bellhousing with sandwich plates and clutch fork... Running out of things to sell!
krisisdog wrote:
Fiend you are a fukin classic! Have been watchin this thread (and your build) for a while, love your ingenuity and the fact that you're willing to give anything a go. :mrgreen:
Good man, it's the way of the long white cloud... I'm not even sure New Zealand is that isolated anymore, but we always had to make do with others throwaways. It got us through a rather large war by following the yanks around and grabbing their left over stuff, and it's getting me through building a car on $100 a week max. Slow, painful and occasionally fun. Couldn't ask for a better way to fill my days.

Thanks for the thumbs up. Am searching for something poetic to say but am, for the first time in my FordModding history, stuck for words.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

I don't normally comment on fordmods unless its practical help or a question, but thought it worth saying you're doing a great job with this stuff fiend! Good to see you conducting some real world testing and getting some real world results. The scientists and engineers here will find something wrong with your test method, but its the sort of thing everyone else does to work out if something is successful or not. Great work on collecting all the temp readings and communicating all the data, and on making your own spacers. Keep it up! Its interesting reading, and results will be helpful to all of us. Cooler intake temps have got to be worth investigating.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

How much is a spacer going to cost me Fiend? Might be worthwhile doing while I have the old girl pulled apart doing heart surgery.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cool, and thanks again for the encouragement. I don't blame everyone for being annoyed by my constant complaining about money... Never mind me, I have just realised that when setting up all those extreme sports events and getting everyone else Red Bull deals and the like I was always broke and spending all my own money on event promotions. Seems like it's a character trait or something.
Bugger. Still, could be worse. Image

The entirely oddly titled 65536.6 spacer will cost $136.66 NZD delivered according to this... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=120931

Unfortunately this means I am lucky to break even (as explain above) but I've got to keep the cost down somehow...

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
Hey - you're asking me to put my money where my mouth is... That's not going to happen. Not because I don't believe the product works slightly, not because I don't have a a mouth... That leaves money. That's the issue.

I wasn't asking you to put your money where your mouth is, i was suggesting you spend money to make money. But not really even that it was just a mere suggestion. I believe your product will work Fiend, hence the suggestion to get it out there and make it more accessible to people and putting it on a dyno and showing the results wouldn't hurt. Again not doubting its performance but people in general like to see power figures.

I understand the money woes, im in a similar predicament at the moment myself. If i wasn't i would have one, throw it on the turbo car, and get the results for you.

But time is not of the essence i presume? so eventually it will probably happen. And ill post it all here when it does.

Peace.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

By the way - All prices here are in NZ PESO, so you guys work out what $136.66 is. Should be about $106.66 AUSSIE or thereabouts.

What you all say is fair enough and true. They do need proper data available. I am very interested to see what happens myself and will be talking with whomever will take up the challenge sometime shortly.

The manufacturing cost - materials and cutting - would come down considerably if I could make more than two at a time!

Is all good, and I thank you all for your interest.

Now, where are all those people that said "I'll buy one if you make one"...?!

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

investigate a group buy fiend to drop your costs but retain the present price, i'm sure people wouldn't mind still only paying 136nz knowing that the creator is receiving a reasonable proffit.
the way i see it you pay around that for a k&n pod and i'd rather put the money into keeping thermal dynamics under control than hearing induction noise and putting up with overoiling.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hey Fiend, you reckon a custom one of these for the explorer manifolds on the V8's would work?

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:50 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

They already have them available aftermarket - I think rocket / Summit do them IIRC.

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeahp ^ What he said :lol:

All good, I still have these things listed on TRADEME... Unfortunately, to get much of a worthwhile discount off the parts and services required to make these, I'd need to have confirmed sales for ten items.

Since I am such a broken a***, I'd also need everyones money up front.

Therein lies the complications..........................

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=120931

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What is the price of one of these is Aussie Dollars including shipping to Wheelers Hill Vic 3150

Do you need longer Manfiold Bolts as the other Kit on the market includes them but from memory they are 12mm thick.

Also can I buy direct off you instead of becomming a member on Trademe?

And last my Ports are 42.0mm wide, is it possible to make the holes bigger?

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Attached is my recommended fitment instructions. The longer bolts are easy to find, they're very common, you should find plenty on the floor of your local dodgy mechanics!

I've actually fitted one of these without any arms supporting the BBM or throttle and only used the standard bolts. It was intended to be pulled out and done properly later, but the guy hasn't had a single problem, so has left it in there!

Good to know you can get away with it, but I'd prefer you to have a few longer ones at least! I think I have about half in half in my install, and I've since taken the front BBM support arm off... The BBM is still there, and it is still 100% sealed after 10,000km...

At current exchange rate it's less than $110 AUD delivered (slow mail though!!!)

You can buy if you have a PAY PAL account..... I am working on a design for you (which I may put into mine too....) but this will mean we will have to wait for a week or so for the lazy a*** machinists to finish making stainless water tankers and put our product through their machines....

Let me know if you're happy to wait a week or three for the design to be changed and manufactured and I'll get straight onto it....

Attachments:
File comment: Fitment instructions for the FFFF.6 Graffix edition
fff001100_info.jpg
fff001100_info.jpg [ 443.71 KiB | Viewed 377 times ]

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds good to me - will just check with my head guy to get the exact measurements on the ports - hopefully will get an update today - but who knows with tradies Arrrrrrrrrrg lol

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

All good... Have drawn something up with 43 mm ports, which are a complete circle in shape for you. Put cash into PayPal account and I'll haul a** as much as possible with producing the special for you.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Just a quick one.

Are you measuring just the temperature of the mechanical components or just the airflow?

Good idea, dont know how much of a real difference it would make to power though.

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next