Fordmods Logo

Please help, Ford Falcon 97 not starting. 

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Please help, Ford Falcon 97 not starting.
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:59 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Redo the process again but don't turn the key off this time. Just start the car instead of turning the key off, straight from "reds" to start.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2005 BA Ute

QLD, Australia

My 98 EL started and then stopped after a couple of minutes while I was out shutting the gate. Not a common thing for it to do, but has been known to happen very occasionally. Jumped back in and would crank over but wouldn't fire. The fuel was low but not low enough to cause it not to start. Checked fuel pump and it was humming, checked spark with a timing light and nothing. Had to start somewhere so after reading how suspect coils can be, I replaced it. No different. Checked power to coil and no power getting to the coil. Noticed the red high temp light is on when the key is the 'ON' position (don't think this is normal but can't swear to it) even though gauge pointer is still on the bottom and that none of the fans are running. I will need to borrow a meter again to test further, but where do I start and how do I access the codes that keep being mentioned?

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon 97 EL

WA, Australia

054DUT wrote:
My 98 EL started and then stopped after a couple of minutes while I was out shutting the gate. Not a common thing for it to do, but has been known to happen very occasionally. Jumped back in and would crank over but wouldn't fire. The fuel was low but not low enough to cause it not to start. Checked fuel pump and it was humming, checked spark with a timing light and nothing. Had to start somewhere so after reading how suspect coils can be, I replaced it. No different. Checked power to coil and no power getting to the coil. Noticed the red high temp light is on when the key is the 'ON' position (don't think this is normal but can't swear to it) even though gauge pointer is still on the bottom and that none of the fans are running. I will need to borrow a meter again to test further, but where do I start and how do I access the codes that keep being mentioned?

I had an ignition coil problem. Once replaced the coil, it started. But till I diagnose the coil problem, I replaced many other parts too. If you are not getting power to the coil, it might be an ECU problem or ECU contact problem.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3