Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: plug lead resistance?
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

this is a follow on from another thread (ef mont issues) or something like that. basically my car has an intermittant miss. long story short it isn't fuel related as economy and power are o.k. new leads and plugs didn't fix. coil pack did not show up as a fault, in fact codes came back all clear. on w/end i pulled her apart and tested all leads for resistance. thes are specs from gregory's
1. 11 - 28 (all in k,ohms)
2. 10 - 25
3. 8 - 21
4. 7 - 20
5. 7 - 19
6. 7 - 19.

my leads (9mm spiral core)
1. 2.7
2. 2.3
3. 1.9
4. 1.8
5. 1.8
6. 1.7

i know if they read too high then obviously they are stuffed. these are all reading below the range. is this a prob also. not enough resistance. i wouldn't have thought so. as a comparison i tested a set of std motorcraft ones that i still had and they all tested within range. as mods are very minor i prolly don't really need anything more than stock but nothing wrong with a bit more insulation though. i also read plugs from where lead connects to platinum tip and they all came up with around 4.5 k,ohms. does this prove anything i.e no cracks??

at the end of the day i'm still no closer to finding miss as everything checked out o.k. maybe the ford bloke who checked codes didn't know what he was doing and cleared them first or something and so coil pack might still b dodgy??

any more ideas?

thanks for patience with long post

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Spiral Core leads are the best to get. Best brands to buy are Queensland Ignition Leads, Bosch, Eagle F1 and Race Series of Top Gun (even tho i dont like top gun erk).

You might find maybe a lead is arcing out somewhere which happened to me last week (3 leads.. brand new set to).. but seems lke hes probably just wrong! Who takes their car to ford anyway?!

Some spiral core leads i found have a different resistance level from one another too ... not sure what it was on the weekend so cant tell you! lol

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

yeah normally if lead is arcing out it leaves a white mark or residue. all leads clean. mebbe i should get coil pack tested again. i took it to ford first time as i was on holidays up in caloundra and new no different. also don't know anyone here other than ford dealer who can plug into diagnosis. not sure how to do it meself.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]