Fordmods Logo

Poor Ignition and Coolant Leak 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Poor Ignition and Coolant Leak
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I'm new round here so I should first say hi, and compliment you all on the top website, can't believe how much info there is here :!:

Now on to the problems with my EL Falcon. It's been running fairly good for the most part, but recently I've noticed it's not always firing on all cylinders. This is most noticable when held at around 1200rpm as it resonates all out of balance. It is an LPG car and does the same on either fuel. Yesterday I think I hit a new low of 4 out of 6 firing! Given that, is it likely to be anything other than the distributor/rotor? And given that, how easy is it to change them?

Now the second issue is a small coolant leak which I can see dripping from behind the exhaust manifold heat shield, towards the front of the engine. I have no idea what's behind there and need to know if it's a hose that can be replaced, or a gasket. Any one have any clues?

So that's all for now, to be honest I could keep you lot busy all day long with my niggles, but trust me when your Falcon gets to 840,000kays you can too!
Thanks for any help, hope I can return the favour sometime,
Dutch

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Hi, i would replace your leads and plugs for starters, leads are a bit of a pain in the backside, but it can be done. Dont think there is any pipes underneath exhaust manifold, if you took that sheild off, you would probably see a leak from the head gasket.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

840k and if this is your 1st blown head gasket u r VERY lucky
as 4 the other do the easy bits first - plugs/leads/fuel filter/coil/fuel pump

Post subject: Kays
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

How did you clock up 800,000k's?????!!!!!

Ex-cab?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 06 Teritory,mod Capri,XE falcon

NSW, Australia

To change the leads ,take air box off 1st,then you should be able to slip hand between AC compressor and intake manifold.....not fun but possible to access.EL 6 cyls. have a pipe that runs from back of water pump around the back of block to passenger side(under exhaust heat shield),this can corrode causing a leak and easier and cheaper than a head gasket.As suggested,remove heat shield(fairly straight forward)and have a look before commiting to head gasket.They do have a tendincy to "seep" from head gaskets,yes,but check pipe 1st.

Getting old is a fact,maturing is optional......

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

OK 10 points to Frenzal, it is indeed an ex-cab. A very ex-cab, it looks as if it is the head gasket that's gone. Since I'm in no position to be sorting it (I suppose it's gonna cost like $1000 to do that right?), can anyone advise whether these can drip for some time or can they suddenly give up altogether? I was wondering whether the radiator sealing stuff you add to the coolant would help at all?
Thanks for the rplies guy, much appreciated,
Dutch

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey, the head gasket price you stated depends on where you go, but thats the average price...

But do check it first, take the heat shield on top of the exhaust manifold off, and examine closely.

Also, the ignition, like all the others said, the ignition leads, distributor cap, spark plugs, not in that order, but they get cheanged at the same time. If ytou don't want to mess around too much, just get a place that does service to do it. While they are at it, tell them to check the compression, then you'll know if its the head gasket or not.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:15 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Gli

WA, Australia

Welcome to the lovely falcon and the head which decide to piss coolant. I spose mechanics need a source of employment. Is it just me or do most ppl seem to find this problem not long after they get the car i know i did.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]