port and polishing? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: port and polishing?
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:51 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

I have asked about port n' ppolishing cylinders before on here before.
But I was talking to this old bloke at work who seeeems to know a lot about cars, but he tells me that the walls of the cylinder are actually a bit rough to help in breaking up the fuel injected in to help it ignite and burn better.
Overall he's telling me that smoothing out the cylinder will cause the car to lose power because it is not breaking the fuel up as well.
Now is this true or not because I don't whether to listen to him or not?
sorry for the silly question

BA XR6 Turbo

Xtreme Tuned
240.1 rwkw at 12 PSI

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

the cyliner? dont you mean the ports?

having the walls of the ports a lil rough increases the turbulence along the port wall which stops the fuel dropping out of suspension and sticking to the port walls

not as critical in most EFI cars (depending on how close the injector is to the intake valve), but smooth is good up to a point....

Banned

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Usually you port the intake, and port and polish the exhaust ports. By not polishing the intake you are helping to avoid droplets forming on the walls, and by polishing the exhaust port you are helping to maximise flow and also avoid carbon buildup.

BTW: The intake ports are still quite smooth even though they are not polished. They just feel slightly textured.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:53 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

yeah, so obviously its not going to dramatically decrease power as this guy is telling me.
cheers for that

BA XR6 Turbo

Xtreme Tuned
240.1 rwkw at 12 PSI

Post subject: Re: port and polishing?
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

FordZombie wrote:
I have asked about port n' ppolishing cylinders before on here before.
But I was talking to this old bloke at work who seeeems to know a lot about cars, but he tells me that the walls of the cylinder are actually a bit rough to help in breaking up the fuel injected in to help it ignite and burn better.
Overall he's telling me that smoothing out the cylinder will cause the car to lose power because it is not breaking the fuel up as well.
Now is this true or not because I don't whether to listen to him or not?
sorry for the silly question

true!
You'll save more $$$ by having it ported only. all you need is a course sand paper to finish it off youself. fuel will stick to smooth & shiny surface, were rough surface helps to create abit of turbulence. did you know that polished surface tends to obsorb more heat!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey all, i'm new to all this and I was wondering if anybody has had any success with porting and polshing and how much it would cost. I asked about getting it done when I get the el head gasket done soon and was told that it would cost a fortune and I would get bugger all gains out of it. Apparently it's a waste time without getting a bigger cam, ect, and it was suggested that the money would be best spent on a chip. I've been looking through the different threads on modifications but I thought this would be a good place to ask about porting and polishing. I've all but decided against it so if anybody thinks they can change my mind I'd be interested to hear your reasons.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]