port n polish au2 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: port n polish au2
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

Iv got an au2 and have a 2.5 exhaust and the tickford intake thats the only stuff performance wise. Before I got and do the outside up i want to get the engine running decent. I was going to get some extractors but my dad recommened getting some head work like a port n polish done. He owns half a car shop that rebuilds engines so I should be able to get it done fairly cheap.

I was wondering what you guys would recommened I do in that area and how much it will cost? I was told this will give me a bigger performance increase then extractors.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

gains from a port & polish will be very minimal compared to a decent set of extractors/cam etc - do that kinda stuff well before you look at doing a port & polish...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

I want to get the old au from 0-100 quicker but it just seems impossible especially with the auto.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

uglybob wrote:
gains from a port & polish will be very minimal compared to a decent set of extractors/cam etc - do that kinda stuff well before you look at doing a port & polish...

this would have to be the biggest overstatement of the century!!! if you have actually seen the crap that is in the intake ports of a std falcon head you would be amazed. DO NOT waste your money on extractors, listen to what your old man is saying cause he knows what he is talking about, and in the mean time look for a cheap set of extractors, even if they are second had they would be better, and repaint/ fit those. Ive got JMM race series and sure they are good but you can spend $1000 on better performance stuff than an exhaust which can be sourced for less than half that. Justfordima sold a set of pacemaker 4480 copies for just $50. thats what you should be looking for.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

so you reckon you'd be gaining 5-7rwkw or so from a port & polish? honestly? from the poeople whom i've spoken to who HAVE done the port & polish, their gains were minimal compared to doing extractors/cam etc.

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

In an ideal world you would want both.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Oustide Australia

Ill find out how much the port & polish will cost and get some extractors afterwards to go with it. Im guessing a decent set of second hand extractors would be just as good as new, where would you recommend looking only place i can think of is trading post.

What would you say would be a rough ballpark figure for a port n polish?

Iv heard the engines come off a production line and the results can vary depending how well/crappy your engine is built.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
so you reckon you'd be gaining 5-7rwkw or so from a port & polish? honestly? from the poeople whom i've spoken to who HAVE done the port & polish, their gains were minimal compared to doing extractors/cam etc.

correct!

The ports on e E series head flow a heap any way, even with all the casting dags ect.

The only reason to go porting is to chase 250rwhp, imo

i think the best options are...

1) Go a good set of extractors, new or second hand, doesnt matter.
Get your self a stg2/3 cam, there are a few good grinds goinig around atm.
And do some small intake stuff, i see you already have the snorkel, maby go a KnN filter or something simular.

Anything past this really starts to get expensive and can have its annoying side to it too.

2) aim for a good amount of power
Geat a good set of extractors.
Bigger intake tubing.
Good muffler/s and cat.
Then do some head work (can be flowed up to 420hp, and a good radius cut and valve undercut) More compression (up to 10.3, imo)
Get yourself a custom cam ground to suit all of this, well worth it!
And, if your bored and have the time/money, do a bottem end build and ballance.

And you then mite start running into fuel/timing issues. You could eithr go a unichip/chiptourque bandaid, a ajst fuel reg (wont fix your timing tho) or a aftermarket ecu (but very costy, but the better option)

any options between these and you will chase your tail, ive been there and it is expensive. So if i had to do it again, i would do it rite the first time

My 2c

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

blinkAU wrote:
Ill find out how much the port & polish will cost and get some extractors afterwards to go with it. Im guessing a decent set of second hand extractors would be just as good as new, where would you recommend looking only place i can think of is trading post.

What would you say would be a rough ballpark figure for a port n polish?

Iv heard the engines come off a production line and the results can vary depending how well/crappy your engine is built.

i wouldnt pay more the $600 for a port job

if you do go with the porting, you will more then likely loose bottom end tourque, due to the fact the cam isnt ground to suit.
also there is the velocity factor which is lost.

and if you do get the head decked (scimmed) make sure its no too much, due to it will increase the compression and give you over fueling issues from the oxy senser goin stupid...

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
uglybob wrote:

this would have to be the biggest overstatement of the century!!! if you have actually seen the crap that is in the intake ports of a std falcon head you would be amazed. DO NOT waste your money on extractors, listen to what your old man is saying cause he knows what he is talking about, and in the mean time look for a cheap set of extractors, even if they are second had they would be better, and repaint/ fit those. Ive got JMM race series and sure they are good but you can spend $1000 on better performance stuff than an exhaust which can be sourced for less than half that. Justfordima sold a set of pacemaker 4480 copies for just $50. thats what you should be looking for.

I agree with Jaysen, extractors are not that big of a deal. And you will need some after headwork, but not the most expensive ones. Extractors are extractors, and difference between them is not THAT great. You will be better off starting with head work, and while you're there, get a cam. And then some extractors, and exhuast. And hi flowing filter with a bigger intake.

In the end its each to their own opinion, the order which you do it in, will not make much difference in the end.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

but putting in a cam and chasing the preformance isnt the best way to do it.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

There was never really a best way to do anything. If he is going to keep doing mods on engine, not just extractors and thats it, stop there, then headwork will need to be done sooner or later. For the price of a cam, it acts as a good improvement, until he does some major work and needs a custom regrind.

I see where you're coming from SVO, but not everyone has to go down the same path. And like I said, each for their own opinion, but in the end its him that has to decide. If his dad or whatever works rebuilding engines, and he can do it for cheap, then why not?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

SVO XR6 wrote:
and if you do get the head decked (scimmed) make sure its no too much, due to it will increase the compression and give you over fueling issues from the oxy senser goin stupid...

Don't stop there, why is this so?

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i dont know the science behind it, but i think the oxy senser retards the timing under load too much?

i had it done and went slower coz of this reason.
was dissapointed

i think a chip or something could fix it tho
or
a aftermarket ecu ;)

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Just to branch off from this for a minute. :?
Not being too well informed about compression in engines and so on.
Would I need to have the compression in my stock 96 Fairmont I6 lifted to that of an XR6 to enjoy the full benefits of a cam like the 1604 profile?

And how would that be achieved. By changing the cylinders?
That would call for a different ECU wouldn't it?
And I'm guessing very big dollars to do this too yeah?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next