Fordmods Logo

potential engine build for non turbo... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: potential engine build for non turbo...
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

ive been thinking of building a non turbo engine as i am only p plates, just throwing this out there for ideas.
what i want to do is fine an old ed engine and strip it, start from block and new pistions, unsure if forged or high comp or what to use yet. use stock bottom end, probably just get the crank balanced again. then,
do some extensive porting of the head, bigger springs and big cam. it will be a long time coming money wise, just seeing if anyone has done anythning like this? im sure i could go well into the 200kw as guys are getting 170 from their ed's. just been something ive wanted to do for a while.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Post subject: Re: potential engine build for non turbo...
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Hey mate I'll be watching this thread with interest to pick up what others have to say. I am doing the same thing but with an EF block + AU xr6 head. I have got a cam regrind, vernier gear, springs, valve sets cut, port n polish, lot of bowl work, head shaved. ALso I have au injectors + 300kpa fuel reg.

Bottom end will be balanced and honed, not boring out at the moment, this is all chewing up my cash as it is. I was also going to be using standard comp pistons etc.

After a tune I was hoping for 150rwkw, but if there are guys going 170kw+ I'd be interested to see what else they have done, or I could be pointed in the direction of some build threads that would be great.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Better off building a engine for turbo then when your off you p's drop it in.

A worked n/a engine with high compression may not with well with a turbo if you ever decide to turbo it.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Better off building a engine for turbo then when your off you p's drop it in.

A worked n/a engine with high compression may not with well with a turbo if you ever decide to turbo it.

yeh ive thought about that too. with around a year and a half still untill i get of them if i do build a turbo engine im sure it wouldnt really be a daily anymore. i know turbo would be better in the long run for bigger power. also i swear i've seen your falcon come out of tafe in wollongong before?

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Plenty of people have low boost set ups and there car is a daily .

Yea you would of seen me on a Friday leaving tafe .

Do you own a white ed ?

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:52 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I got an EB motor you can have for Nix, I only live at Gymea, still on the mounts but no gearbox attached, easy to remove, BYO crane though. let me know.

Bores looked ok when I had the head off, rings are all there, just all in the sump. Blowby extravagana on this motor. perfect for a rebuild.

Let me know if your interested. Would like it gone sooner rather than later or I will just dump it with the shell early in the new year.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Plenty of people have low boost set ups and there car is a daily .

Yea you would of seen me on a Friday leaving tafe .

Do you own a white ed ?

na cobolt blue, just put some on my gallery.. really liked yours when i saw it.

cheers for that dc_todd. i will see how i go localy and i have to make my mind up turbo or not. bloody rules

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Local? I am 20mins from Bulli..

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers . We're you in the tafe car park ? Don't think I've seen it . I'll check out your gallery

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:

whoops, sorry yeah i just realised that gymea is like right near sutherland. i just got back from bali yesterday and am pretty out of it. cheers again il let u know.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

c james wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

whoops, sorry yeah i just realised that gymea is like right near sutherland. i just got back from bali yesterday and am pretty out of it. cheers again il let u know.

You wouldn't have just had a 2 month stay curtosy of the Balanesse govt. would you? :D

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Cheers . We're you in the tafe car park ? Don't think I've seen it . I'll check out your gallery

na i used to go to wollongong high, finished this year and saw it some afternoons.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
c james wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

You wouldn't have just had a 2 month stay curtosy of the Balanesse govt. would you? :D

thankfully, no haa. although they did target me in customs being a schoolies person.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Just to clear a few misconceptions...

You might have to get a bore regardless of whether you want one or not; after you strip the engine down you will have to determine whether you can get away with a hone. I daresay on a lot of E series engines that have over 200,000km on them you would need to go 20thou over.

Before you start pulling apart your engine you need to figure out a realistic budget and what you want from your engine; having made the rookie error of pulling down an engine before deciding what direction you want to go I can attest to this.

I would recommend building for N/A - if you seriously plan on putting a turbo on your car at the end of it don't bother rebuilding now, save your money and when the time comes plan your build. The worst mistake you can make is starting a project without the money to see it through to completion (and then you will be left with an engine not as well suited to N/A which you have spent money rebuilding).

I would suggest getting an ACL rebuild kit if you can, bang for buck they are pretty good value (I think last time I checked around $700 for race series which includes pistons/bearings/gaskets). If you are spinning the spanners yourself will get the thing rebuild for a few grand. Anyone telling you you can get a reliable turbo set up for less than $10k is dreaming. Sure you can run it off a standard engine and replace it (and the transmission) with a cheap replacement every 6 months, but it is hardly reliable.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

kiwief wrote:
Hey mate I'll be watching this thread with interest to pick up what others have to say. I am doing the same thing but with an EF block + AU xr6 head. I have got a cam regrind, vernier gear, springs, valve sets cut, port n polish, lot of bowl work, head shaved. ALso I have au injectors + 300kpa fuel reg.

Bottom end will be balanced and honed, not boring out at the moment, this is all chewing up my cash as it is. I was also going to be using standard comp pistons etc.

After a tune I was hoping for 150rwkw, but if there are guys going 170kw+ I'd be interested to see what else they have done, or I could be pointed in the direction of some build threads that would be great.

Cheers

There's a guy on here thatspushing 184 kilawasps at the wheels his names Gazza or it's Gezza it's a white el gli.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next