Fordmods Logo

"power mode" 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: "power mode"
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

how do i change my 1996 EL into power mode?

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

You flick the switch....

Is this a joke?

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED fairmont

VIC, Australia

...its a lot of hard work under bonnet to achieve this mod, perhaps contact your ford dealer

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

a new radiator, windscreen washer bottle and a new set of tires usually does the job.

:shock:

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Give him a break!

If EL's are like EF's, power mode is not longer there! Or at least not marked as power mode.
It's normal and economy modes. Basically Normal mode is the same as what power mode was on the EA-ED's.

There's a switch near the T-bar to change it - auto's only obviously. But hopefully you already know this last bit!

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

The normal and econ button doesn't really differ in power, but the economy changes gears at lower rpm and the normal takes you right to the redline if hammered of course.

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Economy mode is used to save fuel.

It allows te minimal amount of fuel to run the engine through, so its mainly used when your doing a constant speed eg highway driving. It kills your fuel around the streets though.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Economy mode is used to save fuel.

It allows te minimal amount of fuel to run the engine through, so its mainly used when your doing a constant speed eg highway driving. It kills your fuel around the streets though.

Only changes transmission shift points and torque converter lockup. No change to engine, fuel or spark.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

yeh i was under the impression it only changed shift points and lock up points, but nothing fuel or engine wise, but of course the change in shift/lock up makes it feel more sluggish

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

After doing a bit of experimenting with my 98 EL Xr6, I have actually found that the Econ/Pwr Switch dosent seem to do a alot!! The biggest difference is the shift points. I have found that if ya drop the pedal, In Power, it will kick down to the max, where as in Econ, It still kicks down but usually not as much. The easist way to save money on petrol, is flick it into power and just p***y-foot it around (as Difficult as it is!! :D ) But to be honest, There isnt a big difference between the two. Well thats What I have found Anyways!!

Wade

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

wadesta_1986 wrote:
After doing a bit of experimenting with my 98 EL Xr6, I have actually found that the Econ/Pwr Switch dosent seem to do a alot!! The biggest difference is the shift points. I have found that if ya drop the pedal, In Power, it will kick down to the max, where as in Econ, It still kicks down but usually not as much. The easist way to save money on petrol, is flick it into power and just p***y-foot it around (as Difficult as it is!! :D ) But to be honest, There isnt a big difference between the two. Well thats What I have found Anyways!!

Wade

For the LAST time people; all of you lol!
The economy/power(normal) mode switch will give you NO less power in economy mode; it will infact alter the behaviour of the auto box changing the shift patterns to deliver a different driving style!
In the Economy mode you will find the engine is less willing to rev out and will infact shift into a higher gear earlier than if it were in the power(normal) mode.
Obviously thus meaning in the power(normal) mode the engine feels as if it wants to rev out alot more (using more petrol at higher revs) and the shift points will be noticably higher within the rev range also.
Again, it will NOT increase power output; but more the driving behaviour of the transmision. :idea: :idea: :idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
The economy/power(normal) mode switch will give you NO less power in economy mode; it will infact alter the behaviour of the auto box changing the shift patterns to deliver a different driving style!
In the Economy mode you will find the engine is less willing to rev out and will infact shift into a higher gear earlier than if it were in the power(normal) mode.
Obviously thus meaning in the power(normal) mode the engine feels as if it wants to rev out alot more (using more petrol at higher revs) and the shift points will be noticably higher within the rev range also.
Again, it will NOT increase power output; but more the driving behaviour of the transmision. :idea: :idea: :idea:

What are ya quoting me for?? LOL, I never said anything about the engine and that It was what I have found by toying around!![/quote][/code]

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

wadesta_1986 wrote:
Quote:

What are ya quoting me for?? LOL, I never said anything about the engine and that It was what I have found by toying around!!
[/code][/quote]
Mainly because you were the last to post; plus u pointed out the obvious and repeated what has already been said above.
Nothing personal; dont worry as i wasnt directing it to you; just in general as its SOOOOOOOOO commonly asked.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Point Taken!

Post subject: Some people are retards...
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

The power/econcomy button on all ford 4 speed autos only changes the shift points in the computer. Power holds gears longer, economy will always search for the highest gear possible, unless you give it s**t, in this case under economy it will keep to the rev range where it produces the most torque while conserving pertol(pre mass determined specifcation by ford). Under power mode its go for gold, ring it out until you loose pulling power, then next gear and do it all over again.

Muff.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next