Fordmods Logo

Premium Vs Standard Unleade 

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

my eb2 put regular in a few weeks ago and it ran like a pig rough idle slugish takeoff after 3 hours put in bp ultimate again and runs nice and smooth heaps more power

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XB COUPE

VIC, Australia

not even going to get into old cars with near static timing it doesn’t do s**t, but their is a reason the au responds more to the premium than the ef /el.

the knock sensor on the Au is a lot more active it is constantly monitoring and keeping timing wound right up, even on a crappy batch of no name unleaded it advances the timing heaps and only knocks it back under heavy loads, so effectively when your cruising in your au even on crap fuel it still has heaps of advance helping economy. The advantage in an au is that if you put premium it keeps it advanced under heavier loads not only at cruise speeds.

On earlier models the knock sensor is designed more to retard timing only when it detects a knock usually under high load or hot weather, it doesn’t monitor it as much and therefore even under normal driving doesn’t give you as much advance as an AU...

If this makes no sense let me know I will re word it...

(Spelling mistakes)

Last edited by Tyretoaster on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

i have used premium fuel in EA's, EB's, and AU's. around the city i had the following results. Bp ultimate 98 gave me 25km more, Vortex 98 11km more, and mobil S8000 55km more. On the open road cruising @ 120km i got the following resulst, Bp ultimate 98 gave me 85km more, Vortex 98 60km more, and mobil S8000 135km more. these figures are everaged across all three models of car. the way it works in older cars the higher the octane the less you have to put your foot down to get the car mooving so you use less fuel. but if you are a lead foot you will only find a power increase and chew thru it quiker then standard 91 ron. i personly preferto use Mobil S8000 as it gave me the best results and it actualy the only premium that cleans your engine were the other will only maintain a clean engine after you put a third party cleaner like spitfire thru it.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BF XR8

WA, Australia

EF_Mont_Ghia wrote:
i dont run normal unleaded in my ef as it doesnt run as well as bp ultimate, it makes a considerable difference in kms and im not fussed paying extra 8 cents for it :)

I agree ... what is 8c when the price of fuel is $1.30 anyways...

well worth it in my opinion. :)

2006 BF XR8 - Lightning Strike with Orange Stripes - Herrod quad system with Herrod extractors, Herrod ram air intake kit, Coil overs, Whiteline swaybars, Kumho KU36's.

More mods to come! (3.73 Diff ratios)

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I was like that..whats an extra 8c..but somehow i couldn't force my hand to go to the ultimate pump when it was $1.50 a litre...

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU XR6 / XB 351 sedan

NSW, Australia

I use Mobile 6000 (the 95 stuff) coz its generally not much more than 91RON stuff. I only use premium coz the car doesn't like 91 (cam...).

Prior to the cam I couldn't see the difference in economy betweem 91 and 95/98. I don't think it made any.

I used to use 98 but seeing as the price is ridiculous stick with 95.

Waiting for tax time and more turbo bits to purchase

Dynosheet 16/04/05

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3