pressure release engine start 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: pressure release engine start
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1969 XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

hey all i have a old friend of the family she has an ef wagon

today it didnt want to start she thought she had a flat battery anyway NRMA came out and had a look he said she had a pressure buildup in the overflow bottle so if you release the pressure it will start and that she had a blown head gasket so he got it started and when i went over i couldnt see any signs of head gasket problems and it now starts every time

has anyone heard of this pressure build up stuff sounds like bull to me also the car is running smouth etc no problems and it is loosing a bit of water not much it was just clicking when you tried to start it sounds weird

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

haha sounds like RACQ up here in emerald dodgy bastards, dont listen to them mate, take it too a workshop to get it checked

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

May be a faulty starter solenoid. Easy to check head gasket, check with a tk tester for carbon monoxide in the cooling system. Most workshops carry these. I had several ef and els in that had snapped the top of two of the headbolts and these did not show up on a tk tester but did have a slight miss on startup. Removed the rocker cover and checked the headbolts and this was the case. I would also check the overflow cap to make sure it is working and the correct one.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it could be the head gasket has blown from a cylinder into the water jacket or possably a cracked head?
so even if there is no water in the oil it doesnt mean that there is not a problem.

it could be when the car is hot and the engine is switched off the water leaks into the cylinder and when you go to start it again the engine wont turn at all..
its also known as hydraulicing(spelling :?: )..
but this will only lock the engine up if the cylinder leaking is on its compression stroke. so it wont do it all the time!
you can also check if there is any moisture coming out of the exhaust once the car is warm..
and also check for bubles in the water when the engine is running..

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

are you serious on the compression stroke it will stop it from starting what stops the starter turning it anyway and whats stopping the other cylinders from firing i thought the starter would still crank until it gets enough spark from somewhere or someone to get it going

sounds complicated to me

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:14 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ferr007 wrote:
are you serious on the compression stroke it will stop it from starting what stops the starter turning it anyway and whats stopping the other cylinders from firing i thought the starter would still crank until it gets enough spark from somewhere or someone to get it going

sounds complicated to me

Water doesn't compress, so it literally locks the motor, won't turn over at all.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

hydrolic lock,yep does happen.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Egas Tonner

NSW, Australia

Yep definatley happens, had this happen on an ED.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 EF I

VIC, Australia

hydrolock = bad... bent conrod anyone?

lol@nrma dude, typical 'women wont understand so lets see how far i can bs this one' no wonder so many people get confused about cars when wankers like that are going around talking s**t

sounds like the battery was a bit flat or the starter solenoid as mentioned...

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It wasn't in drive was it lol

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

ha ha lol no it wasnt in drive but have done that before

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

zxhoon wrote:
hydrolock = bad... bent conrod anyone?

lol@nrma dude, typical 'women wont understand so lets see how far i can bs this one' no wonder so many people get confused about cars when wankers like that are going around talking s**t

sounds like the battery was a bit flat or the starter solenoid as mentioned...

It sounds like zxhoon is on the right track.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EFII Fairmont & F6 Typhoon

WA, Australia

yes hydraulocking does = bad and in severe cases can cause bending of the connecting rods.. even snapping. sounds like ur nrma dude wouldnt know his a** from his elbow how would pressure build up in the overflow bottle cause the starter motor to not function properly.. any excess pressure build up would be vented by the overflow cap (theoretically) but this could be affected by the condition of the cap.. anyway back to the point sounds like zxhoon is right on the money man starter solenoids s**t themselves all the time. tell her to get a new starter motor or have the solenoid replaced (sometimes it can be cheaper to replace the whole thing). as for the pressure release phenomena its got me stuffed how it worked. my honest opinion is he was probably tryin to give you a bum steer on the simple fix of givin the starter solenoid a couple of sharp wraps with the soft end of a screwdriver to free it up.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 EF I

VIC, Australia

sazelxr8 wrote:
May be a faulty starter solenoid. Easy to check head gasket, check with a tk tester for carbon monoxide in the cooling system. Most workshops carry these. I had several ef and els in that had snapped the top of two of the headbolts and these did not show up on a tk tester but did have a slight miss on startup. Removed the rocker cover and checked the headbolts and this was the case. I would also check the overflow cap to make sure it is working and the correct one.

i wont take credit for it, just put in my 2cents after sazelxr8 ;)

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Actually the NRMA guy could be right the pressure in the cooling systems keeps pushing coolant into the cylinder causing it to lock up when trying to turn over. By removing the radiator cap the coolant stops being pushed into the cylinder then the coolant drains out past the rings and it can turn over. The engine will only show this up if the cylinder that is leaking is on compression stroke.
It still may not be a head gasket but still get it checked.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next