Fordmods Logo

problem ford 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: problem ford
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: eb wagon

VIC, Australia

g'day im wondering if someone could hewlp me .. last nite when i left work i clicked on the remote to open me doors on me eb wagon .. well i noticed the reaer parkers flashed but the front ones dint .. the driving lights flashed instead .. weird so after looking more into it i put the ignition to acc turned on the blinkers driving lights flashed .. started the car .. all good parkers on .. turned on the lights engine died .. lights off motor runs .. drove home on parkers only i got home hit the horn button driving lights come on .. help me work this one out please ?
:?

Post subject: Re: problem ford
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yer i'm not sure where it happens, but once my ea headlight switch worked like an ignition switch. wouldn't start but turn the headlights on, get ignition then turn key and it started. wiring must be close somewhere. i can't even remember how i fixed that one lol i think thats why i ended up running a missile switch ignition and push button starter. thank god for immobilisers.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

IMO, you need an auto electrician. If there's a short or faulty connection, you could spend hours trying to find it.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yes electrical problem solving is not my strong point, if i can't find it in 10 minutes i know it's going to take a long time to nut out lol

it all comes down to basic system diagnosis though. i've sorted all my electrical dramas (and believe me i've had a few) all myself due to lack of funding for auto leckies.
a wire only goes from one point to another and sometimes to another and to another. working back down the fault line will usually show up the fault cause. a short circuit is the most common cause of electrical dramas and can almost always be found with patience and a multi meter with basic 12v knowledge.
i started out with 12v knowledge from forums and books and from problem solving my own car has taught me priceless lessons. i've gone from absolutely hating anything with electrons flowing through it or not to loving the challenge of problem solving with my later model fords.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There's been quite a few chaps on here that replace a myriad of parts at great expense, only to find the problem was still there. At a guess, I'd say most of the the guys/gals on here (including myself) have a limited understanding of electrical circuits. It's irritating trying to get your head under the dash with a torch. (I used to lie on the car seat with my feet over the driver's seat and my head next to the pedals)

As an example, I had an auto elec come and fault find why my new engine wouldn't start after being installed. In the process he singed his hair & eyebrows when the carby cleaner in the throttle body ignited. :lol: The problem wasn't electrical in the end. I connected the fuel lines around the wrong way. :roll:

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lol so what your saying is your paid for an auto elecky and although he didn't exactly fix the problem it was worth it's weight in humour at the end of the day ? hehehe

i'm just saying it's worth a few hours of your own free labour before you pay over a hundred dollars an hour for it. i agree if i could pay someone $100p/h to come out and fix a 5 minute problem i have no idea about and even if he charges an hour, it's worth it. but if you can find it yourself you've saved and if you have no money to begin with then you've still not lost anything (hopefully) yet gained experience.

hence next time you will know the symptoms of crossed fuel lines hehe. i also know from experience i'm not shytebaggin you 8-)

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Check all earths that connect to the body. Bad earths can cause all sorts of havoc. I had it once with my XF when i didn't tighten up a earth wire and my headlights went nuts. also back track on the work you have done very recently leading upto the current issue. Issues like this sound linked to something else that had been repaired before.
Almost sounds like those nugget VL crummydores that fry their fuse boxes completely and melt plastic everywhere, which wreak all sorts of havoc with the electrical system.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
i also know from experience i'm not shytebaggin you

No probs. :) I agree it's good to do some testing first to save forking out $$$.

+1 with checking the earth.

wal_067, have you pressure washed your engine bay recently?

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: eb wagon

VIC, Australia

thanks guys i was talking to an auto elec tonight he said the same thing try ther earth strap from the battery top the block .. put another on to the body was a suggestion .. ill check it out .. no i hadnt pressure washed it

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG ute

QLD, Australia

Try spraying contact cleaner around all the connections on your steering column ( under the plastic shrouds ) and maybe blow it out with compressed air.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]