Fordmods Logo

probs omvl lpg Convertor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: probs omvl lpg Convertor
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi folks,
just had my lpg convertor changed (old one died) to a omvl r90e and now the fuel economy is pretty bad 20l/100k. The orig was I think tickford at least the computer is(has the blue/white lead for testing). Should this still be a closed loop system or does the r90e work differently.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:33 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

AFAIK all LPG convertors have a power valve (PV) adjustment and a idle mixture adjustment. The PV limits the total amount of LPG travelling into the engine. It will look like a restrictor or tap somewhere in the LPG vapour going to the gas discharge ring. I adjust this to just off where the engine revs cleanly in neutral then add 1/2 a turn (it may need slight tuning from this). I then adjust the idle mixture for best idle. It has to be done this way around due to the PV affecting the flow rate and idle mixture.

I'm not 100% sure of that model of convertor but I believe the Landi is a better convertor. They are both complex convertors to rebuild but the Landi has good idle mixture control.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 87 XF Ghia

WA, Australia

The OMVL has a sensitivity adjustment (Large hex adjuster) and an idle adjustment (small).

It should still be electronically controlled to meet emmisions.

You wont have a manual power valve but a stepper motor in the vapour line, some of these have a manual course adjustment.

Basically, take it back to the guy who fitted it and tell him to tune it again.

If its brand new, they can take about a 1000 Ks to settle in, and a lot of guys wont tune them until you've done about that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]