q's on conversion to broadband intake for 3.9L 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: q's on conversion to broadband intake for 3.9L
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA fairmont GHIA

NSW, Australia

Hi i've got an EA 3.9L MPI and have a spare EF with the broadband intake manifold. We are going to put the twin thermo fan in but was just waiting to see how much work would be involved in transplanting the newer intake manifold onto the 3.9L. How much work is involved? is it a matter of just taking off old one and putting new one on, along with air box. Do they fit straight up to the older engine? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

5spd EA Fairmont GHIA, lowered Kings all round, 2.5" exhuast w/extractors, 3.45 LSD, Wade 1673 regrind cam, Alpine stuff inside

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi

there is a few wires to add but it bolts straight onto the 3.9.

here is my au into ea conversion. in this link there is info on using the bbm and fitting el ecu..
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=85

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

i had cfi and wanted to convert to bbm but the hastles you have to go threw doing it i just went to mpfi
you have to change the whole loom over instead of just cross wiring one wire for the mpfi
if you have the time and get enough info go for it
putiin the bbm will b a piece of piss but fukin around with the looms will be a b**ch

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it can be a b**ch. you just got to have alittle patients.
there is a little more work involved changing from cfi to bbm.

if its mpfi then your in easy street there is still some wiring to do but its easy.
the gain is deffinatly worth the hastle providing you use a el ecu at the same time and you will gain more down low torque and you will be able to rev the engine slightly higher..

if you just fitt the bbm without changing the ecu the car will run fine.but because the ea/ed ecu had a different timing and fuel maps and no provision for the manifold switching. you wont really notice any difference and if the manifold its not set up right(set bbm diaphram in short runner for use without the el ecu) it will actually ping and feel like its lost performance.
you can adjust your ign timing to stop pinging but the car will then have a torque improvement but no high rpm power.

there are people who do run the bbm with the ea/ ed ecu
and there is a adjustable rpm swith you can buy from jaycar to switch the manifold over except the ea/ed timing and fuel maps are still different.

i originally had mine set up with the ea ecu with a rpm switch and the performance was all over the place and by the time i had stoped the pinging issue the car peformed the same as it did with the std mpfi.
so in my opinion you wont get the full advantage of the el bbm unless you use the el ecu aswell..

as they say do it right the first time and you wont be disapointed!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NA Fairlane SVO

QLD, Australia

Yeah to change to the BBM you will need an EL computer (which has broadband manifold out). Therefore you will need a smartlock bypass module (which is on ebay atm)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-smartlock-Bypass-Override-Code-generator_W0QQitemZ230215206662QQihZ013QQcategoryZ102349QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The good news tho is that you will also have the thermo out on the new computer also so that will be easy to hook up.
This is all asuming that you get the wiring right from the CFI to MPI conversion. (this can be a plain basterd) I have heard that it is possible to get a wiring harness that is perfect for this conversion from a certain model at the wreckers. The wires all line up except injector power or something?
Anyway man if I were you, I wouldnt worry about it, save up and buy an EB, you can get whole cars for less than a grand now. They come with a 4L too!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]