Fordmods Logo

Quick CAMSHAFT shootout !!! opinions and inputs please! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Quick CAMSHAFT shootout !!! opinions and inputs please!
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

hi all!!!!

once again, im at the biggest crossroads of my life. within the biggest yet most significant dilemma, the decision i'm about to make will forever define the rest of my life and the path i will take will be a significant decision, finalising and drawing my future and fate unchangeably forever and beyond, ultimately cemented.

so i have a few camshaft profiles to choose from. im chasing mostly low to midrange torque and power, and the once-in-a-blue-moon top speed run (dont wanna lose too much off the top, and if possible, gain some too throughout the range generally).

head: 94ab on the car (can change springs if i have to. have a spare 94dt head with mild work done to it). and an extra set of shims lying around on the floor
ecu: ef xr6 auto ecu in the car (with a j3 sitting new in its packet)
mods: lsd diff, 2.5in exhaust, extractors, air intake etc etc the standard

cam1::: WADE 1636
cam2::: WADE 1673 billet
cam3::: CROW 2519 (belonged to the apparently slightly worked head)
cam4::: CMS stage 2a
cam5::: JMM Dev 5 (dunno if still for sale)

your input is encouraged!!! :) :) :)

Post subject: Re: Quick CAMSHAFT shootout !!! opinions and inputs please!
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

Please need your input.

Post subject: Re: Quick CAMSHAFT shootout !!! opinions and inputs please!
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have a 1673 and it has been a pretty good cam with decent power, however it is more mid to top range. So I would not recommend it if you are going for low and mid. I have been told that the 1636 is a better cam for low to mid.

In saying that, the 1673 is tuned according to specifications. From what I remember, if a camshaft is set advanced from 0 degrees on the cam gear, it will push the power further up the rev range, while retarding it (if it allows) will put it more on the lower end. My cam is set 1 or 2 degrees advanced which met the cam spec and I did feel the power kick in later in the rev range compared to 0 degrees. Take this information with a grain of salt as I am no expert nor do I have the knowledge on "dialing in" of the cam, it's just something I remember hearing/reading. Someone on here should be able to shed some light and agree/correct me the information.

Please note, according to Wade Cams from memory, 1673 is recommended for manual transmission or stalled auto. If you have a stock auto, a 1636 was recommended.

Billet or regrind makes no difference, the profile is what you are after. Only difference is putting the extra shim in the rocker arms for regrinds.

Have no experience on the other cams so can't help you there.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]