Racing Mufflers? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Racing Mufflers?
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hey guys was surfing the net the other day trying to find out a bit about custom made exhaust systems etc. And i came across the Lukey site and noticed that they have more than one type of Muffler availble.

Turbo, straight thru design (Ultra Flow), Glass pack muffler, and then a Racing muffler.

The racing muffler is what im curious about, they apparently have the highest flowing materials and design. Which give you a greater increase in acceleration and torque. More so than the other types of mufflers.

My question is, altough this is a racing muffler is it possible to apply this to a street car, im after as much kw as i can get wth every mod i plan to do on the XR.

Is it legal? What would it sound like? Has ne one else eva looked into this b4?

Also what other types of mufflers would be suitable for someone who is after as many kw's as possible? Does ne one know of ne other types or which offer the best flow/sound also.

Thanks, hopefully you can shed some light o the situation for me :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

the lukey ultra flow muflers are straight through, i mean i can see through it to the other end, there;s not really anything stoping the gas flow at all - can't really get much more freer flowing than that!?!

The race muffler probably doesn't quieten down the exhaust noise enough to be legal, and so you'll need a hot dog or resinator to run with it. by the time that you've got a race muffler nad then resinator/hot dog, you might aswell have just used a normal straight through muffler as it'd probably flow just as well as the race muffler and resinator/hotdog combo. race muffler probably also costs more.

by the way, the lukey turbo mufflers are like a mixture of the normal muffler type and a straight through, I wouldn't bother with one of them.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yes well i do agree the turbo mufflers are gay and i would not want one of those on the XR.

The system i was looking at would be a 2.5' Custom madrel bent pipe, cat back ofcourse, with a single racing muffler and resonator. No hotdog.

Then at the back will be a nice set of twin tips of some sort. :P

For a setup like this i will be willing to pay up to $600.. Howver if the racing mufflers are illegal and or sound s**t, then i will get a straight thru muffler.

I just need to know whats the deal with the racing mufflers thou, ive never heard one b4. :?

Cheers for the reply thou

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Anyone? Got ne info for me :?

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Build# 499 BF F6 TYPHOON DEJA VU

VIC, Australia

i thought they don't use mufflers in race cars

232.5 RW KILLER WASPS

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Im not completely sure on that but its definately a racing muffler that much i know, coz they said it is designed specifically for race applications.

They offer the best torque and acceleration increase. :) Something like this on a street car would be awesome if it were legal. :)

The sound it produces would also be a concern as i suspect that they might emit a loud and higher tone than your usual exhaust note which is usually a deep tone.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Build# 499 BF F6 TYPHOON DEJA VU

VIC, Australia

they would sound awsom on the V8's

232.5 RW KILLER WASPS

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

memnoch wrote:
i thought they don't use mufflers in race cars

some classes have a noise limit (as well as some tracks IIRC)

Banned

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

memnoch wrote:
they would sound awsom on the V8's

I wish i could hear what it sounds like b4 i decide to go with a set up like that... Too bad most places dont do that sort of thing. :(

On my XR im guessin it might sound alrite, coz it already sounds pretty grunty, but its just when it revs past 3500rpm it really starts to roar and get quite loud (not the exhaust note but the engine) im sort of wondering mabe a racing muffler would amplify that sound, if that were the case i would think it would sound nice but be extremely loud.

Thats why i would like to hear what it sounds like first :)

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I can't say I've ever heard a Lukey system sound that I didn't like.
Even the one on my old XC 302 after 10+ years was still awsome!

If your gunna run a resinator with it, then I'd say it'll all be legal and fine. But I still don't see how the race muffler can be less restrictive than the straight through...

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

As far as i know the materials are similar yet slightly more heavy duty. I have sent the guys an email so hopefully they can let me know if its legal to have one.

To tell the truth i dont want the whole system im actually after the muffler itself. Hopefully MrLandau (Shane) can still get me a good deal with the redback piping. :)

Mmm will be interesting to see what they have to say :P

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

The piping would be pretty much the same between Redback and Lukey wouldn't it? I mean there both mandrell bends and both good brands with good reputations.
I didn't think there were any rules on mufflers, except that they have to make the exhaust noise under a certain level, with your cat converter, racing muffler, then resinator, i would of thought you'd be under.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Escape

VIC, Australia

If you read the details on the mufflers I think the only difference is thier construction, I don't think they have actual rolled joins, the race ones are fully welded stainless steel, instead of the muffler being a series of pieces put together with rolled joints etc. The internals sound like a slightly higher quality as well.

Speed doesn't kill......it's the sudden STOP that kills.

i sopurt puLik edYakashon i jUts whISh i dun pReP skoul

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
The piping would be pretty much the same between Redback and Lukey wouldn't it? I mean there both mandrell bends and both good brands with good reputations.
I didn't think there were any rules on mufflers, except that they have to make the exhaust noise under a certain level, with your cat converter, racing muffler, then resinator, i would of thought you'd be under.

Thats what im hoping, i cant remember how many db it has to be under to be legal but im sure with the resonator and cat it would tone that down a bit. :?

As for the piping well im getting Redback as thats what Shane offered me for a cheaper price.

Hopefully the race muffler is under $250 lol, cause im pretty sure the piping would be under $200. And a hi-flow cat is about $200 so thats $650 which is about what i would spend. :)

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:

The system i was looking at would be a 2.5' Custom madrel bent pipe, cat back ofcourse, with a single racing muffler and resonator. No hotdog.

Then at the back will be a nice set of twin tips of some sort. :P

Hate to break it to you but a hot dog is a resonator. Just 2 different names or the same part. As for the twin tips I got twin tips on my XF and it sounds tough. But these tips are bent down like dump pipes and the pipe where they merge fits inside the main tailpipe so the exhaust is kind of choked. Good for sound but bad for overall grunt. It sounds like a worked 2V 250 but would harly go like one.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next